FCS coaching changes ... couple big ones

fourthandshort

So JMU Coach Houston got an offer from Charlotte, which was rescinded after he confirmed the offer publicly. Then parlayed that offer into a better $ offer from ECU ... both programs are FBS doormats.

And this just in .. NDSU Coach Klieman is the front runner for Kansas St .. job, AGS reads like he would probably accept the offer .. if true.

Chi-bird

fourthandshort said:
So JMU Coach Houston got an offer from Charlotte, which was rescinded after he confirmed the offer publicly. Then parlayed that offer into a better $ offer from ECU ... both programs are FBS doormats.

And this just in .. NDSU Coach Klieman is the front runner for Kansas St .. job, AGS reads like he would probably accept the offer .. if true.

ECU is a pretty decent job, better than Charlotte, imho. Great underrated game day atmosphere and fanbase.

K State is a solid program with relatively low pressure but good history. That said, Klieman would be living in the shadows of one of the most remarkable and one of the better football coaches of all time.

Virginia Redbird

The current AD at Kansas State was the AD at NDSU that named Klieman the Head Coach after Bohl left so they have a significant history together. Not sure what the fan base in Kansas would think about Klieman and the AD would have to consider that. I would think Klieman may want a new challenge. Not that winning National Championships ever gets old but what else does he have to prove at the FCS level? I could see this happening...probably a big raise as well. It will be interesting to watch this develop.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article222783880.html

ChiRedbirdfan

Virginia Redbird said:
The current AD at Kansas State was the AD at NDSU that named Klieman the Head Coach after Bohl left so they have a significant history together. Not sure what the fan base in Kansas would think about Klieman and the AD would have to consider that. I would think Klieman may want a new challenge. Not that winning National Championships ever gets old but what else does he have to prove at the FCS level? I could see this happening...probably a big raise as well. It will be interesting to watch this develop.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article222783880.html

“Probably a big raise”......the KS state coach was making 3.5 mm so there is a lot of money in the budget

Birdswin

Wow - that is big news for Klieman and K-State. Makes sense. Not good news for ND State.

TheTruth

fourthandshort said:

If ECU is a doormat, I wish Illinois State was a doormat. If Illinois State had worked half as hard at building their football program as ECU has, they’d be in the AAC at a minimum.

fourthandshort

TheTruth said:
fourthandshort said:

If ECU is a doormat, I wish Illinois State was a doormat. If Illinois State had worked half as hard at building their football program as ECU has, they’d be in the AAC at a minimum.

i mean on the football field competitively

bb fan

Yeah, that's the ticket to get into the AAC. FOOTBALL. Heck, look how it helped Wichita.....

Oh, wait. They got there to a great extent because they DON'T have football. Hmmmm.....

And to think we could be like ECU right now and lose a ton of money. Like most every non P5 FBS football team. And pay money to play in some goofy bowl game. I'll say it again. Personally, I am not seeing the big deal about non P5 FBS.

MadBird

ChiRedbirdfan

MadBird said:
Here's a short update on EIU's search. Minnesota RB coach Kenni Burns turned them down to stay at Minny. He's from Springfield and was on NDSU staff under Craig Bohl for a while.

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-kenni-burns-strong-candidate-eastern-illinois/

thefootballscoop.com is a good source for all sorts of coaching changes, at all levels, and for teams looking for future games.

EIU has to be one of the least desirable jobs. Probably a smart move being patient until something better comes along.

MadBird

Sounds reasonable enough, I guess. Not that exciting, but pretty good.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-cushing-eastern-illinois-20181209-story.html
Here’s another name you might one day associate with Eastern Illinois football — Adam Cushing.

The veteran offensive line coach is leaving Northwestern to become the head man at Eastern Illinois, Cushing told the Tribune. He informed Wildcats players on Sunday before driving 200 miles south to Charleston to meet with his Panthers for the first time.

A University of Chicago alumnus who had been with Northwestern since 2002, Cushing, 38, said it has been his dream to have his own program.

GratefulRed

MadBird said:
Any chance NDSU fouls up appointing a successor and takes a multi-year dive in its program??? :lol:

Nope. I think it has been in the works for a while now. The AD’s had a plan since they know each other well (KState AD was at NDSU). I expect NDSU to name from within and continue business as usual.

DannyCooksey

MadBird said:
Sounds reasonable enough, I guess. Not that exciting, but pretty good.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-cushing-eastern-illinois-20181209-story.html
Here’s another name you might one day associate with Eastern Illinois football — Adam Cushing.

The veteran offensive line coach is leaving Northwestern to become the head man at Eastern Illinois, Cushing told the Tribune. He informed Wildcats players on Sunday before driving 200 miles south to Charleston to meet with his Panthers for the first time.

A University of Chicago alumnus who had been with Northwestern since 2002, Cushing, 38, said it has been his dream to have his own program.

I think this is a solid hire by EIU. Cushing is a Mt Carmel kid. He’s been around some really good coaches. Done a nice job under Fitz.

DannyCooksey

Virginia Redbird

The question now is, who replaces Kleiman? As this article speculates it will almost certainly be someone with direct links to the program. Probably same old business as usual but everything ends at some point. Not really even a ripple in the force with Kleiman was promoted. What happens this time? It will be interesting to see what the 2019 and 2020 Bison look like.

https://www.valleynewslive.com/content/sports/Potential-hires-for-North-Dakota-State-502425571.html

ChiRedbirdfan

Virginia Redbird said:
The question now is, who replaces Kleiman? As this article speculates it will almost certainly be someone with direct links to the program. Probably same old business as usual but everything ends at some point. Not really even a ripple in the force with Kleiman was promoted. What happens this time? It will be interesting to see what the 2019 and 2020 Bison look like.

https://www.valleynewslive.com/content/sports/Potential-hires-for-North-Dakota-State-502425571.html

Really would be impressive if NDSU just kept rolling. It would be a great example of where the commitment (both university and fans), culture and environment are poised for winning.

Reggie Redbird

Virginia Redbird said:

It appears this next coaching staff will walk into a roster that loses their main offensive talent at each key offensive spot - QB, multiples RBs, WR, and multiple TEs. They could very well have the next National Player of the Year sitting out, but I have a feeling losing so many key players and Coaches could really hurt them. I could also see him take more coaches than Bohl as KSU's resources far outweigh Wyoming's.

MadBird

And who goes with him to KSU? I checked some of the staff bios, and seems to me both coordinators are relatively new to NDSU. Experienced, but not at NDSU. Do they go, or stay? There is a former DII HC on staff, Hedberg, he was at St. Cloud St. for several years but got let go, he's the QB coach. Will be interesting to see. Would not be surprised to see them drum up some guy with Minnesota ties one way or the other, but I don't think a current Minny assistant would fill that bill.

Top Bottom