Elijah Smoot committed....

GratefulRed

To the Illinois State Cardinals?

I’m sure by the time he is done reading the responses to his tweet he will rethink his decision.

Total Red

Staff member
You know I've heard StL Cardinal announcer Mike Shannon refer to the Cardinals as the Redbirds many times (he's not alone) and no one questions that. If A-Cardinals equals B-Redbirds then doesn't B equal A?

Welcome to the Scarlet Flyers Elijah ;)

fourthandshort

Cardinals .. Redbirds .. he committed, so I think it is a smoot point.

:dance:

WR who looks like he has some skills. Played at very small school with enrollment 362 and it shows in his highlights with some weak defenders. But he has good hands and speed looks pretty good. Give him a year or two in weight room and acclimating to MVFC level.

Welcome to Redbird Nation, Elijah !!!

bb fan

Welcome Elijah.

Regarding the whole Redbirds / Cardinals thing, I am not a fan when local media (Peoria-Bloomington) refer to the St. Louis Cardinals as Redbirds. In our little part of the world here in central Illinois, there is only one athletic program that should be called the Redbirds.

Hamdonger

bb fan said:
Welcome Elijah.

Regarding the whole Redbirds / Cardinals thing, I am not a fan when local media (Peoria-Bloomington) refer to the St. Louis Cardinals as Redbirds. In our little part of the world here in central Illinois, there is only one athletic program that should be called the Redbirds.

Cardinals wore game jerseys, on rare occasion, with the name REDBIRDS on 'em. Been calling them The Redbirds probably since WWII-era. Although your point is well-taken.

But the Illinois State Cardinals?? For all that is good and holy...good freakin grief. Whoopsadaisy and embarrasing.

fourthandshort

there are no true freshman on the roster yet. Not sure when they pu tthem on .. maybe not until they show up for fall camp in August ??

By the way, the Indiana WR transfer is still not on the roster either .. wasn't he here for spring term and spring ball ?? If so .. that didn't last too long.

fourthandshort

fourthandshort said:
there are no true freshman on the roster yet. Not sure when they pu tthem on .. maybe not until they show up for fall camp in August ??

By the way, the Indiana WR transfer is still not on the roster either .. wasn't he here for spring term and spring ball ?? If so .. that didn't last too long.

found a post from TR indicating he wasn't schedule to arrive until summer .. which is surprising given I thought he announced transfer over winter.

fourthandshort

fourthandshort said:
fourthandshort said:

found a post from TR indicating he wasn't schedule to arrive until summer .. which is surprising given I thought he announced transfer over winter.
ok so found more on recruiting thread ... Indiana transfer WR Jordan Fuchs announced around July 2017 that he was coming to ISU. Why wouldn't he have transferred in for spring 2018 to play spring ball ?? TR posted after spring game that he was expected over this summer. Just wondering why the delay ?

ISUBU

Lots of moving parts with players...different people at different stages with different issues. And there are different plans sometimes. Consider Himmelman, he didn't arrive the fall after high school, but waited until spring because that was the plan. In a transfer situation, it may be better for a kid eligibility wise to wait right until the fall to enroll.

And then sometimes kids don't get admitted to the university. NU's Chris Collins was recently interviewed talking about the upcoming season. He spoke about an incoming player who was expected to make an impact. The very next day it is announced that the kid didn't get admitted. With things up in the air even the coaches can be caught off guard.

A big part of learning to be an adult is for these kids to learn to dot their i's and cross their t's, to return important documents to the right place and on time, to finish their classes strong, and more. There are lots of missteps along the way, sometimes they can be easily fixed and sometimes not.

Total Red

Staff member
fourthandshort said:

He hasn't arrived yet due to unresolved academic issues.

Redbirdwarrior

ISUBU said:
Lots of moving parts with players...different people at different stages with different issues. And there are different plans sometimes. Consider Himmelman, he didn't arrive the fall after high school, but waited until spring because that was the plan. In a transfer situation, it may be better for a kid eligibility wise to wait right until the fall to enroll.

And then sometimes kids don't get admitted to the university. NU's Chris Collins was recently interviewed talking about the upcoming season. He spoke about an incoming player who was expected to make an impact. The very next day it is announced that the kid didn't get admitted. With things up in the air even the coaches can be caught off guard.

A big part of learning to be an adult is for these kids to learn to dot their i's and cross their t's, to return important documents to the right place and on time, to finish their classes strong, and more. There are lots of missteps along the way, sometimes they can be easily fixed and sometimes not.

This is why I respect NU and schools like Stanford, Creighton, Villanova and a few others. They are not willing, typically, to stretch admissions protocol to a ridiculous level for athletics. If LeBron graduated high school with a 2.0 and an ACT of 18, 95 out of 100 NCAA schools would FIND A WAY to get him in, even if the kid couldn't read. But Northwestern was never going to be one of them.

That said, North Carolina and U of I are known as some of the best public university's in the US and gladly admit people that couldn't spell admission, much less qualify for it.

BigBird

Redbirdwarrior said:
ISUBU said:
This is why I respect NU and schools like Stanford, Creighton, Villanova and a few others. They are not willing, typically, to stretch admissions protocol to a ridiculous level for athletics.

Were you around when NU got to the Rose Bowl under Gary Barnett? He didn’t stretch the rules, he ignored them.

Redbirdwarrior

BigBird said:
Redbirdwarrior said:
ISUBU said:
This is why I respect NU and schools like Stanford, Creighton, Villanova and a few others. They are not willing, typically, to stretch admissions protocol to a ridiculous level for athletics.

Were you around when NU got to the Rose Bowl under Gary Barnett? He didn’t stretch the rules, he ignored them.

I was 10, but I vaguely remember it.

Redbirdwarrior

So this is 2 pretty big potential impact players we have lost this week. Anyone concerned yet?

TIMMY

BigBird said:
Redbirdwarrior said:
ISUBU said:

That's bullshit.

Top Bottom