Dietz

TBS_20

Cleaning house. Dietz and Lyons both "retiring". Believable.

SgtHulka

Congrats to The Larry's on outstanding careers! Best of luck in retirement, I hope you get to enjoy it!

Redbirdwarrior

You don't get a President Al Bowman everyday. I wish President Deitz a happy retirement.

This is a dangerous time to try to find a new president. We need to find someone who will be able to guide the University through what may end up being the most difficult time in recent memory in MANY revenue related aspects including lack of sports, lack of activities and even lack of enrollment. I home the board is putting together an aggressive search who can find a young and innovative thinker who can help weather this storm. Because it is at our doorstep.

Baltimore Bird

I had the pleasure of hosting ISU Alumni events at my home in Baltimore. President Bowman and his wife attended the 1st one and President Dietz attended the 2nd one. Both are wonderful ambassadors for ISU and really and truly love the school and what is best for it. Most years you can go to the MVC in STL and talk to both of them. I am very proud of what they have done for our school. The hiring of the President is extremely important as ISU found out with its hire between Bowman and Dietz. He did not last a school year. Thank you, Larry Dietz for a job well done!

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Rico, I understand you are are happy but you know Dietz is going to pick the new AD and then leave, right? That's not a good thing, IMO.

TBS_20

Rico, I understand you are are happy but you know Dietz is going to pick the new AD and then leave, right? That's not a good thing, IMO.
I saw that this morning. Its the complete opposite of Theo stepping down from the Cubs so he can let his successor be in charge of the "rebuild" since he won't be there. Why the hell not name an interim and let the new President pick them?

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Only thing I can think of is because Dietz isn't leaving until June 30. Can we go the rest of the school year with no AD when there are so many things that are changing do to COVID?

Brick

Diets has been a good President. He loves the school. I am confident he will make a good decision. Plus I agree we don’t want wait until after he retires to make a choice. Don’t want to leave it up to a new guy who may not have the same affection for ISU

gobirds85

Dr. Dietz is a good man. He represented our university well. I enjoyed numerous discussions with him and appreciated his "frankness" one morning in the Alumni Center when it was just him and I. We both showed up for the AA meeting early and had some time to kill. We screwed the pooch with the flanagan hire but rebounded nicely with Larry. He will be missed.

Bird Friend

There is concern in administration that the quality of AD candidates might suffer due to Deitz's retirement. Will the good ones want to take a job knowing his/her boss is leaving so soon after . . . ? Especially considering how political an AD's job can be.

RedbirdSoxFan

There is concern in administration that the quality of AD candidates might suffer due to Deitz's retirement. Will the good ones want to take a job knowing his/her boss is leaving so soon after . . . ? Especially considering how political an AD's job can be.
Wouldn’t a lengthy contract make it difficult for Deitz’s replacement to dismiss the new AD?

MadBird

Couple thoughts:

Seems to argue for appointing an "interim" AD to carry thru till the new Pres is appointed, altho if that would take more than a year, that's not a recipe for success either, probably.

I thought the Lyons' announcement was kind of presented in the context of there had been ongoing conversations between the Larry's over the last year or so about Lyons leaving. At some point, you'd think Big Larry would've said to Little Larry, you know, I'm thinking about retiring too, maybe we can figger out the timing so it makes the most sense for old state U. Maybe not.

MadBird

Difficult? Yes. But if your new boss doesn't like you . . .
Maybe it's different in the "big time", or just for this one guy, but Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin is working on his 4th Chancellor (equivalent to ISU Pres) as AD, and 6th including his time as HC. Just get the job done and the other guy or gal will just love you!! Plenty of other deans and provosts and so forth who have to get along with the new person.

Bird Friend

Maybe it's different in the "big time", or just for this one guy, but Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin is working on his 4th Chancellor (equivalent to ISU Pres) as AD, and 6th including his time as HC. Just get the job done and the other guy or gal will just love you!! Plenty of other deans and provosts and so forth who have to get along with the new person.
And isn't amazing that when Deitz took over, 2 of the other AVPs under Bowman quickly found work at other universities . . .

Top Bottom