Dick Luedke to be honored!

RedbirdSoxFan

For those who have no interest in watching the Redbirds/Sycamores games Saturday, please do not let this keep you away from Redbird Arena Saturday @ 3;00 Dick Luedke will be honored prior to the game. Not one person that has been affiliated with Illinois State Athletics in the last 40 years has meant more than this man to the Illinois State Redbirds! I’m hoping Redbird Arena is packed by 2:30 to thank Dick Luedke for all his years broadcasting Redbird Basketball and Football games.

Adunk33

Staff member
Do when know when the "honoring" will begin? He goes on-air at 2:30 does about 5 minutes of intro and then throws it to a prerecorded interview with Jones that goes about 7-10 min followed by a 2-3 minute commercial break. Hopefully it'll be around 2:45, since I think more people will be there. If it's before 2:30, I fear no one will be in the arena....

RedbirdSoxFan

Do when know when the "honoring" will begin? He goes on-air at 2:30 does about 5 minutes of intro and then throws it to a prerecorded interview with Jones that goes about 7-10 min followed by a 2-3 minute commercial break. Hopefully it'll be around 2:45, since I think more people will be there. If it's before 2:30, I fear no one will be in the arena....
I’m guessing that it will be right before or right after they honor the senior’s (Josiah and Abdou). Guessing you would be correct with the 2:45. timeframe. Matty can handle the radio part.
As for myself, I plan on being there by 2:30 just in case. Because we don’t know who and how many are going to be taking part in the ceremony honoring Dick Luedke.

Adunk33

Staff member
I’m guessing that it will be right before or right after they honor the senior’s (Josiah and Abdou). Guessing you would be correct with the 2:45. timeframe. Matty can handle the radio part.
I'm not sure Dick would want to miss a second of his final home broadcast, just to receive praise. It's not the kind of guy he is, but we'll see. Hopefully when the game notes come out they'll indicate it.

Also...Abdou getting honored on senior night? Fourth year in the program and RS his first year. Technically 2 years left. Obviously, we have no reason to believe he'd be a Bird next year, but I'm surprised by that.

RedbirdSoxFan

I'm not sure Dick would want to miss a second of his final home broadcast, just to receive praise. It's not the kind of guy he is, but we'll see. Hopefully when the game notes come out they'll indicate it.

Also...Abdou getting honored on senior night? Fourth year in the program and RS his first year. Technically 2 years left. Obviously, we have no reason to believe he'd be a Bird next year, but I'm surprised by that.
Maybe Abdou is receiving his Bachelors Degree in May?

fdbird83

What year did Dick start doing play-by-play? I started in 82 and he was doing it then.

DaveBird10

What year did Dick start doing play-by-play? I started in 82 and he was doing it then.

I believe he started broadcasting in 1981 then took the 4 years off later when Mark Johnson broadcast the games.

Dick is really the only person that I can remember broadcasting Redbird Basketball and Football games. We are spoiled for how detailed he has been in his career and how prepared he is. Congrats to Dick on a happy retirement.

MadBird

Jim Durham when I first arrived, maybe not right away but I'm pretty sure he called at least a couple of Doug Collins' years. Art Kimball for a few years somewhere in there early, 70's and 80's. Not sure I can remember anyone else. Possible Lorne Brown called somewhere in there? Or was he just Peoria TV and BU?

Redbirdfan76

Madbird, I think you got it nailed down from what I remember. Bill Wallberg was at WJBC right before Jim Durham. Wallberg went off to a station in Miami and Durham was up doing both HS and Redbird games. Not sure if there was anyone between Art Kimball and Dick L. I think Art had the deepest radio voice of anyone I remember!!

MadBird

Madbird, I think you got it nailed down from what I remember. Bill Wallberg was at WJBC right before Jim Durham. Wallberg went off to a station in Miami and Durham was up doing both HS and Redbird games. Not sure if there was anyone between Art Kimball and Dick L. I think Art had the deepest radio voice of anyone I remember!!
Just for you, 76, the voice of Art Kimball. Well, the voice and the man himself:

fdbird83

In the early 80s Donewald got in some dispute with WJBC and during the 83-84 season Donewald was on the pre and post game show with Andy Burcham on WMLA. There is an ad in the game day program featuring this. It mentions the exclusive inside story with ISU coach Bob Donewald. In the locker room with Bob Donewald airs 30 minutes before each game and Redbird Wrap-Up with Bob Donewald follows each and every Redbird game. I don't know if WJBC still did the games and WMLA did the pre and post game or if they both did play-by play. I don't see an ad for WJBC in the program.
I had a job interview with Art at his radio station that he owned in Mendota. This would have been like February of 84 as I graduated in December of 83. We interviewed at the station and he showed me around and then I had lunch with Art and his wife. They seemed like good people but I didn't get the job. It worked out ok because the next station I interviewed with hired me and I worked there for 25 years.

Birdswin

Yes, Luedke came to ISU in 1981 - replacing Art Kimball, who had that very distinct, deep voice. I remember there was a lot of people, if not most, who thought no one would be able to replace Art Kimball. Well, Luedke has been Fantastic over all of these years and an excellent supporter and representative of Redbird Sports. The "Biggest" basketball games he called were primarily in the 80's, with several in the 90's, and not much since. But Luedke was consistent and professional throughout.

As far as the Donewald-WJBC dispute - that was over the post-game call-in show - the comments of one caller angered Donewald and he took it out on the station.

Top Bottom