Dana Ford

Hamdonger

Well, Dan and Dana were friends... ;)
Just kidding. But not really...

Redbrd1

What did he do at TN ST? Overall losing record, 17 wins max. Hmmmm. Not sure in this one.

V Boy

Redbrd1 said:
What did he do at TN ST? Overall losing record, 17 wins max. Hmmmm. Not sure in this one.

Would be awesome if he left Mo St to be an ISU assistant coach again.

cpacmel

Redbrd1 said:

https://twitter.com/pantheru/status/976267259004977152?s=12

https://twitter.com/danmolloytv/status/976281621585313793?s=12

cpacmel

This was written about Dana when UW-Mil was looking last year:

https://twitter.com/pantheru/status/976263237753888768?s=12
Dana Ford
Ford has been head coach at Tennessee State since 2014, and he’s been nothing short of a success. In just three short years, he’s taken the Tigers from being Ohio Valley Conference doormats to legitimate threats to the throne in a league that everyone figured to belong to Belmont and Murray State for the next forever.

A key branch of Gregg Marshall’s coaching tree, he began his coaching career at Winthrop under Marshall and later joined him at Wichita State. In between, he was an assistant at his current school, and he was the main recruiter for NBA player Robert Covington to TSU. Another former TSU player he recruited, Patrick Miller, has played up to the NBA D-League, averaging 16.3 points per game and a borderline NBA call-up. While at Wichita State, he recruited Fred Van Vleet. All three of those players grew up within 90 miles of Milwaukee.

It’s important to remember that Ford is one of the few coaches on the list who has been a Division I head coach (as well as the only current head coach), and he’s been successful at a low-major that hasn’t sniffed the word “success” in a couple decades. Milwaukee hasn’t hired a current Division I head coach to that position since Bob Gottlieb in 1975.

He has gotten the fans out at Tennessee State, with the Tigers seeing the 15th-largest improvement in attendance in Division I. Those fans must be impressed with his ability to push the academics forward, as Ford’s players have put up a perfect APR score in each of his three years at the helm, and with that the five-year score of the program has improved every year.

It’s only a matter of time before he takes a team to the NCAA Tournament, and maybe even win when he gets there. Could he do that at Milwaukee?

Bird Friend

Well this sucks. How am I supposed to dislike MoST now? Plus, he's now off our short list of replacements for Dan . . .

BTbird

Bird Friend said:
Well this sucks. How am I supposed to dislike MoST now? Plus, he's now off our short list of replacements for Dan . . .

Agree and Agree. I'm hoping we don't need a replacement soon though.

DWRedbird

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
yak if dan goes

If we lose Dan any time soon I agree, I think Yak would be a great hire, especially with Dana off the table.

I'm happy for Dana. Always exciting to see former ISU players and coaches succeed. He was always one if my favorite players at ISU, and I think he will be a good hire for the bears. Going to be rooting for them for all but 2 or 3 games a year going forward.

Phantom

Perfect hire for MSU. Dana is smart, young, and knows the Valley extremely well.

Who else remembers the 50-footer he sank at the buzzer to beat Creighton on New Years Eve in 05? I remember that shot like it was yesterday. That was one of those "Holy shit I think that's going in" shots as soon as he let it go.

CB2K

Phantom said:
Perfect hire for MSU. Dana is smart, young, and knows the Valley extremely well.

Who else remembers the 50-footer he sank at the buzzer to beat Creighton on New Years Eve in 05? I remember that shot like it was yesterday. That was one of those "Holy shit I think that's going in" shots as soon as he let it go.

I was at that game and was shocked it not only went in but that they beat a decent Creighton team Many in the crowd were already heading for the doors even though it was tied prior to the shot. ISU only won 9 games that year which I think was Porter's worst year as coach. DM has done a great job in keeping ISU competitive and has won at least 18 games a year. If he scheduled like Jank then that he could have averaged over 20 wins a year.

Adunk33

Staff member
CB2K said:
Phantom said:

I was at that game and was shocked it not only went in but that they beat a decent Creighton team Many in the crowd were already heading for the doors even though it was tied prior to the shot. ISU only won 9 games that year which I think was Porter's worst year as coach. DM has done a great job in keeping ISU competitive and has won at least 18 games a year. If he scheduled like Jank then that he could have averaged over 20 wins a year.

That shot is always the first memory I have when someone mentions Dana Ford. I too was there, and it was absolutely great. If I remember correctly Dana didn't even watch the shot go in. He threw it up and ran over towards the band. Also, I don't think Dana was supposed to be the one taking that shot, he just so happen to be open. That was my first live Buzzer beater. Great atmosphere.

Adunk33

Staff member
DWRedbird said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
yak if dan goes

If we lose Dan any time soon I agree, I think Yak would be a great hire, especially with Dana off the table.

I mentioned on another message board that Yak will not be an assistant for long. John Beilein often credits Yak for their success this season. My guess is he is a HC around the time his son graduates HS, which I believe is 2020. He'll get a head coaching job at either; a bottom level P5 (think like: Pitt, Rutgers, Oregon State, something like that) or a decent MM (school like Rhode Island, VCU, St. Bonnie, etc, when their HCs get picked off to go to P5.) I can absolutely see him returning to ISU if Muller makes the Dance twice in the next two years. That is the only thing that is missing from Muller's resume. He has a high winning percentage, has won games in the post-season, and built championship level teams. If he makes the NCAA the next two years, he gone.

ChiRedbirdfan

Adunk33 said:
DWRedbird said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
yak if dan goes

I mentioned on another message board that Yak will not be an assistant for long. John Beilein often credits Yak for their success this season. My guess is he is a HC around the time his son graduates HS, which I believe is 2020. He'll get a head coaching job at either; a bottom level P5 (think like: Pitt, Rutgers, Oregon State, something like that) or a decent MM (school like Rhode Island, VCU, St. Bonnie, etc, when their HCs get picked off to go to P5.) I can absolutely see him returning to ISU if Muller makes the Dance twice in the next two years. That is the only thing that is missing from Muller's resume. He has a high winning percentage, has won games in the post-season, and built championship level teams. If he makes the NCAA the next two years, he gone.

If Dana Ford can get hired to the MVC with his experience/record then it would not be unreasonable for Muller to get hired to a power basketball conference with his experience and record. Ford is stepping into a tough situation as I am sure there will be plenty of skeptics of his hire and he will be questioned almost immediately if he does not have success.

Top Bottom