Offered/Committed Elsewhere D J Steward, 6-1/150, PG, Oak Park, IL

Bird Friend

2020 - D J Steward, 6-1/150, PG, Oak Park, IL
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/d-j-steward

Adunk33

Staff member
https://twitter.com/swipasnipa/status/1150045974116622337

Why wouldn't Muller take DJ's phone and computers away so other coaches couldn't contact him?!?! Thanks Muller. You continue to whiff on these guys.

Redbird222

Where do you think we rate in his list
Duke
Maryland
NC State
Oregon
Arizona
Arkansas
Indiana
Wake Forest
Iowa
Louisville
Notre Dame
Iowa State
Texas
Xavier
Saint Louis
Marquette
Creighton
Loyola Chicago
Florida
Northwestern
Georgia Tech
UAB
DePaul
Illinois State
Illinois

ChiRedbirdfan

Redbird222 said:
Duke
Maryland
NC State
Oregon
Arizona
Arkansas
Indiana
Wake Forest
Iowa
Louisville
Notre Dame
Iowa State
Texas
Xavier
Saint Louis
Marquette
Creighton
Loyola Chicago
Florida
Northwestern
Georgia Tech
UAB
DePaul
Illinois State
Illinois

According to that list second to last. DJ is a good kid and decent student. I have forgiven him for transferring from Fenwick to Whitney Young although Slaughter owes me a steak dinner. He played well at the peach jam even though meanstreets went 1-4.

RedbirdSoxFan

Redbird222 said:
Duke
Maryland
NC State
Oregon
Arizona
Arkansas
Indiana
Wake Forest
Iowa
Louisville
Notre Dame
Iowa State
Texas
Xavier
Saint Louis
Marquette
Creighton
Loyola Chicago
Florida
Northwestern
Georgia Tech
UAB
DePaul
Illinois State
Illinois

Right above the Illini!

Adunk33

Staff member
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/7/24/20708363/dj-steward-dom-martinelli-jeremiah-oden-orr-high-school-basketball
Steward quickly admits he has and wants to “show his respect” to those schools and coaches who have invested their time recruiting him from the start. He adds that despite the perception of what happens sometimes when blue bloods come calling, that he remains “wide open.”

There are programs out there that could pack up their tent and go home. Steward says he’s not close to making a decision right now and has no real leader.

“Those schools that have been there, I say they definitely should should stay on me,” says Steward. “I know how it’s been for some when the Dukes and Carolinas come in, but it’s not like that for me.”

DannyCooksey

obviously a huge long shot at this point but it doesn't hurt to stay on him and give our best shot.

Adunk33

Staff member
DannyCooksey said:
obviously a huge long shot at this point but it doesn't hurt to stay on him and give our best shot.

It could hurt to stay on him. There is only so much in the recruiting budget. Muller once said, "the best thing a recruit can say is 'yes.' The second best thing they can say is 'no,' so you can stop wasting time and money on recruiting a kid who is stringing you a long."

Clearly a long shot, and I'd love to get him. The financial resources may not be all that big with an in-state recruit, but time is key.

ChiRedbirdfan

DannyCooksey said:

Illinois State, though offered fairly early, did not have coaching staff meeting and sniffing around as early as others such as Illinois and DePaul. Chin Coleman has been heavy and around Steward since his arrival at Illinois. This kid is definitely going to play in a big time conference. Spend the energy elsewhere.

Bird Friend

ChiRedbirdfan said:
DannyCooksey said:

Illinois State, though offered fairly early, did not have coaching staff meeting and sniffing around as early as others such as Illinois and DePaul. Chin Coleman has been heavy and around Steward since his arrival at Illinois. This kid is definitely going to play in a big time conference. Spend the energy elsewhere.

We offered before the Illini, fwiw.

ChiRedbirdfan

Bird Friend said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:
DannyCooksey said:

We offered before the Illini, fwiw.

ISU offered and that was about it. Illinois/DePaul via various coaches have been working the relationship side since DJ was a frosh at Fenwick and also while playing in the summer for MeanStreets. Not judging ISU just informing that some other in state schools are much much deeper and farther down the path than ISU. Also doesn't help that DJ plays for Slaughter as he is not a fan of ISU...although I think things may be better now that Yak is gone.

Bird Friend

DJ Steward has cut his list . . . and we're not on it. ChiRedbirdfan had the right of it, we didn't keep in contact . . . Steward might have given us an indication early on that we wouldn't be considered. Or, the staff realized early that it was hopeless.

https://twitter.com/BasketHoopz/status/1156984911640879104?s=20

Bird Friend

Damn . . . just missed . . . Duke

https://twitter.com/scottybscout/status/1174435524691529730?s=20

TIMMY

giphy.webp

Top Bottom