Could Adding an Engineering Program help Redbird Basketball?

Bird Friend

Just wondering, cuz Deitz is looking into adding an Engineering program.

https://twitter.com/IllinoisMfgAssc/status/979010900114931713

I don't see how it could hurt. It could definitely help the donor base going forward since most engineers make good money most of the time. And it's obviously better for the school in general to provide more options.

ChiRedbirdfan

Bird Friend said:
Just wondering, cuz Deitz is looking into adding an Engineering program.

https://twitter.com/IllinoisMfgAssc/status/979010900114931713

I am sure it will help if ISU continues to do it well as they have done with education and a few other majors. I am waiting for Redbird basketball/athletics to help promote the university/academic side. Currently ISU university/academics is funding athletics to the tune of approximately $20,000,000 a year in revenue out of a $26,000,000 athletic budget. Indeed there is marketing value for university side. But certainly the academic side has been pulling ISU athletics along big time. I am a big academic first vs athletic side as respects to vision of my alma mater and all may not agre. Agree the engineering degree could be a value add long term for both the university as well as the athletic side.

WoodlandWarrior

Establishing a marketable major like engineering will enhance the viability of an ISU education and could attract more students. A question will be which, or how many, of the various engineering disciplines might be offered. Realistic planning should recognize the type of academic programs that are more likely to produce jobs. I commend the business school for establishing the insurance and actuarial specializations.

DoubleDeuce

I don't know...do we want more nerds on the team??? I say we go for jocks instead. Less books, more crooks!

bb fan

Gee, what a surprise. Someone has turned another subject into a dig on our athletics program.

I have heard Dr. Dietz say many times, including during a couple of personal conversations credit athletics for helping grow our brand. Our brand has never been stronger. Compared to most every university in the state and midwest, our student base, both in growth and academic quality has never been stronger. Our student athletes do very well. He thinks our ROI on athletics is excellent. I think the strength of our athletics will help develop the new engineering degree.

FriscoBird90

WoodlandWarrior said:
Establishing a marketable major like engineering will enhance the viability of an ISU education and could attract more students. A question will be which, or how many, of the various engineering disciplines might be offered. Realistic planning should recognize the type of academic programs that are more likely to produce jobs. I commend the business school for establishing the insurance and actuarial specializations.

Concur. I'd start with the disciplines that are in demand and in which ISU already has a reputable, related program, such as computers and chemistry, then add disciplines as the program takes root. No need to try and offer everything to everyone all at once, but having an interdisciplinary offering as at least a minor should be part of the mix. Structuring something for starters along the line of a "Purdue, Jr." model might be a way to get things off the ground.

JHBird

When I went to a Bradley basketball game in Peoria I noticed they had this Gatling gun t-shirt tossing machine. I said to myself 'how can a wimpy school like Bradley afford something so cool when we don't even have one?" Then I realized they had an engineering program, and that some of their students probably made it. So yeah, an engineering program could help ISU athletics in a big way! Think how many t-shirts could be blasted into the upper deck in less then 30 seconds? Maybe we could even invent a pizza launcher and be the envy of all mid-majors.

TheTruth

JHBird said:
When I went to a Bradley basketball game in Peoria I noticed they had this Gatling gun t-shirt tossing machine. I said to myself 'how can a wimpy school like Bradley afford something so cool when we don't even have one?" Then I realized they had an engineering program, and that some of their students probably made it. So yeah, an engineering program could help ISU athletics in a big way! Think how many t-shirts could be blasted into the upper deck in less then 30 seconds? Maybe we could even invent a pizza launcher and be the envy of all mid-majors.

Finally, somebody who sees the "big picture"!

DoubleDeuce

DoubleDeuce said:
I don't know...do we want more nerds on the team??? I say we go for jocks instead. Less books, more crooks!

Was it not obvious this was tongue in cheek?

ISU FAN 1

Adunk33 said:
We would have gotten Alec Peters...

Who knows? He ended up getting his degree in sports management (BS) and was working towards master's degree in sports administration per his latest Valpo bio.

redbirdrc

This could be a good opportunity to raise the profile of ISU. U Of I is almost impossible to get in
and no one wants to go to the directional schools.

ISU FAN 1

redbirdrc said:
This could be a good opportunity to raise the profile of ISU. U Of I is almost impossible to get in
U of I has become Chinatown. Not only impossible to get in, but also not the least bit competitive in terms of attracting students in terms of academic assistance packages. Evidently, they don't have to be. A lot of the best and brightest from our Illinois are going out of state to college. Just another sign that this state isn't interested in competing on any level.

redbirdrc

ISU FAN 1 said:
redbirdrc said:
U of I has become Chinatown. Not only impossible to get in, but also not the least bit competitive in terms of attracting students in terms of academic assistance packages. Evidently, they don't have to be. A lot of the best and brightest from our Illinois are going out of state to college. Just another sign that this state isn't interested in competing on any level.
Illinois exports more student out of state than any other beside NJ.
If it wasn't for Illinois students going to Iowa there would be NO Iowa.
Out of state tuition is 42K at Iowa and apparently parents don't have a problem paying it.

CaliRdBrd

Only if then player use it to calculate the proper theories to put the ball in the hoop

ISU FAN 1

redbirdrc said:
ISU FAN 1 said:
redbirdrc said:
Out of state tuition is 42K at Iowa and apparently parents don't have a problem paying it.

A lot aren't paying it. Aid packages at out of state schools are a lot better than anything U of I is offering. U of I not interested in competing. I know a kid that got a full ride to Alabama for engineering, but U of I wouldn't offer him a dime. Their response .... we don't have to offer good aid packages since they don't have any enrollment or admission request shortages.

Redbird Alum 2004

redbirdrc said:
ISU FAN 1 said:
redbirdrc said:

42k? Good Lord at what point do kids and parents say enough is enough? 42k plus all of the social money spent and these kids will be in debt forever. How in they heck will they save for retirement? It blows my mind that kids spend that kinda money and then major in social work. I have an employee who graduated from uis with a social work degree only to get a full time job doing social work for 8.50 an hour. There is something wrong with that. No wonder they all clamour for free college. Kids and colleges have no idea what ROI is. Many of them are making bad investments to get low paying jobs and the colleges are there to suck up all of that money.

bb fan

All of UIUC interests are in foreign students. Really not as concerned with their in state student base.

You will see a bigger emphasis on foreign students at our fine U very shortly.

Top Bottom