Chicago State - 12/19/2022 - 7:00 PM - ESPN+

ISU86

The 'birds return to CEFCU Arena to take on Chicago State.

CSU "left" (read: jumped before pushed) the Western Athletic Conference and now are one of only two true Division I independents (the other being Hartford, and they are in the process of reclassifying to Division III).

The stop in Normal is game four of a seven game road trp. This is also within a stretch where only two of eighteen games will be at home. For the season, the Cougars will play only eight of their thirty-one regular season games at the Jones Convocation Center. Of those eight, only two are current Division I institutions in full standing (IUPUI, Valparaiso) with two others transitioning (Southern Indiana up, Hartford down).

They currently have a 3-10 record, 1-2 vs MVC schools (W vs Valpo, L's at Murray State and Southern Illinois). They love to push the ball, and if they are hitting their outside shots they can be a formidable opponent; if not, the game can be sloppy and ugly. They are athletic and can move the ball well in spurts; they can also be undisciplined and prone to chucking rushed shots. They are led in scoring by Wesley Cardet, Jr. (16 PPG), who followed Head Coach Gerald Gillion from Samford. Also averaging double digits are Jahsean Corbett and Elijah Weaver (USC/Dayton transfer).

It will be interesting to see how the team responds after their performance in Indianapolis (which followed three hard fought W's at home). At this point, my preference would be to hold McChesney out to better have him set to go when conference play resumes at UIC (we can try and predict who (and why) from Kotov/Schmitt/Sissoko/Andrews may play and the ones that will sit). We should still have enough to win this game, even in his absence. I do think this will be closer than we would all prefer it to be.

Redbirds 74, Cougars 67

Matt Hein Fan

Last several years we have had way too close of calls with the Cougars. Remembering specifically in 2018-2019 when Yarbrough bailed us out with like 8 points in final 3 minutes to come back and escape with a win (and this was when they were absolutely terrible, now they are merely very bad). Last year I don’t believe we win in Chicago if Reeves wasn’t crazy hot from 3. Head coach Gerald Gillion has most certainly raised this program to a level in which you need to be prepared for it and just can’t go through motions. This game is an underrated barometer for where this team is at.
Birds: 78
Cougs: 64

Reggie1857

Given the new normals now with the Illinois Stated athletic department, we should really move to create a rivalry with Chicago State. Just like the football team and its EIU rivalry, the basketball program has to shoot low and squash any expectations from a once very solid and passionate fanbase.

Phantom

Another interesting scenario tonight. First game back at RA (I still can't call it CEFCU...yet) in almost two full weeks and coming off a road L. Taking that as just a bump-in-the-road game, we'll see how the fellas settle back on track. Limiting the fouls would be a nice start. CSU likes to run, so watch the hands. It'd be nice to see us push the tempo more ourselves. We're a good FT shooting team so I say be aggressive and attack the basket. We win this one.

Last edited:

Redbird82

The 'birds return to CEFCU Arena to take on Chicago State.

CSU "left" (read: jumped before pushed) the Western Athletic Conference and now are one of only two true Division I independents (the other being Hartford, and they are in the process of reclassifying to Division III).

The stop in Normal is game four of a seven game road trp. This is also within a stretch where only two of eighteen games will be at home. For the season, the Cougars will play only eight of their thirty-one regular season games at the Jones Convocation Center. Of those eight, only two are current Division I institutions in full standing (IUPUI, Valparaiso) with two others transitioning (Southern Indiana up, Hartford down).

They currently have a 3-10 record, 1-2 vs MVC schools (W vs Valpo, L's at Murray State and Southern Illinois). They love to push the ball, and if they are hitting their outside shots they can be a formidable opponent; if not, the game can be sloppy and ugly. They are athletic and can move the ball well in spurts; they can also be undisciplined and prone to chucking rushed shots. They are led in scoring by Wesley Cardet, Jr. (16 PPG), who followed Head Coach Gerald Gillion from Samford. Also averaging double digits are Jahsean Corbett and Elijah Weaver (USC/Dayton transfer).

It will be interesting to see how the team responds after their performance in Indianapolis (which followed three hard fought W's at home). At this point, my preference would be to hold McChesney out to better have him set to go when conference play resumes at UIC (we can try and predict who (and why) from Kotov/Schmitt/Sissoko/Andrews may play and the ones that will sit). We should still have enough to win this game, even in his absence. I do think this will be closer than we would all prefer it to be.

Redbirds 74, Cougars 67
Why hold McChesney out, he didn’t miss last game because his ankle was still bothering him, he was sick to his stomach. If he’s fine he should play, our margin of error is small enough you can’t ever assume oh, we have enough without so and so. While conference games are always more important, at this point the program needs to win any games they can to build culture and hopefully interest a few of the more casual fans.

DaveBird10

Why hold McChesney out, he didn’t miss last game because his ankle was still bothering him, he was sick to his stomach. If he’s fine he should play, our margin of error is small enough you can’t ever assume oh, we have enough without so and so. While conference games are always more important, at this point the program needs to win any games they can to build culture and hopefully interest a few of the more casual fans.
If McChesney is as sick as they say and if this flu bug is as bad as they are saying it is, I have a feeling in a span of 48 hours it will be hard to get him healthy enough to play a basketball game. If he is great play him a little, but since Saturday he was ill and didn't even make the trip to Indy my guess is McChesney wont be dressed tonight.

stats

Our offense is ahead of where I thought it would be. Our fundamental defense I think has taken a step back the last 2 or 3 games. Sometimes when a team shoots the lights out, they forget what their identity is. I would like to see us win this game on our team defense.

Baltimore Bird

I am more with DaveBird 82 on Liam. He needs to be in there so the team can gain continuity and WIN games. The babying we do of athletes at all levels is a pet peeve of mine for sure. One of MJ's best games ever was with the stomach flu. Get out there and play!

P

Popsto4

Dude had the flu coupled with pneumonia and an ankle sprain. I’d definitely hold him out of this one to prepare his body for conference play. I’m expecting a huge game from someone tonight. The green light is flashing.

P

Popsto4

Our offense is ahead of where I thought it would be. Our fundamental defense I think has taken a step back the last 2 or 3 games. Sometimes when a team shoots the lights out, they forget what their identity is. I would like to see us win this game on our team defense.
They really need to win this game convincingly. If not it may be a struggle to get to .500. I still say offensively we have to be better with movement off ball. Defensively Luke need to and should be playing more. Our tempo can improve with Sissoko on the floor. I might have misspelled that name though

P

Popsto4

I am more with DaveBird 82 on Liam. He needs to be in there so the team can gain continuity and WIN games. The babying we do of athletes at all levels is a pet peeve of mine for sure. One of MJ's best games ever was with the stomach flu. Get out there and play!
He had the flu and pneumonia man I wouldn’t play him 1 game ahead of conference play. There’s no way he’s up to full strength yet

P

Popsto4

I don’t think our offense is anywhere there yet. They showed flashes of what it can become. They’re too inconsistent at the moment. Too many turnovers have killed us more than rebounding most of the time

Tpguy

Another interesting scenario tonight. First game back at RA (I still can't call it CEFCU...yet) in almost two full weeks and coming off a road L. Taking that as just a bump-in-the-road game, we'll see how the fellas settle back on track. Limiting the fouls would be a nice start. CSU likes to run, so watch the hands. It'd be nice to see us push the tempo more ourselves. We're a good FT shooting team so I say be aggressive and attack the basket. We win this one.
I think we should all agree to not call it CEFCU, either Redbird Arena or Doug Collins court. I'm sick that they did this.

Bird Friend

Ugly, slow-moving half . . . but up 33-23. Killing a lot of time on every possession for both teams. Sissoko has become our charge taking guy. 14 made shots on 8 assists is good. 8-6 assists to turnovers is also good, but should be better. I think at least 4 TOs were just bonehead mistakes. Nice to have the Cheese play, but I swear he looks even thinner than before he got hurt.

Top Bottom