Chatman to the Portal

Adunk33

Staff member
Completely makes sense! I'm just not sure what the market is for a player coming off an ACL, but best wishes to Sy!

Only 6 scholarship players remain and 2 of them didn't really play last year. If the twins come, Pedon has 4 scholarships to fill as of now.

DaveBird10

Best of luck to Sy, really liked the way he came back and put in the effort this year. Best of luck on his recovery from a torn ACL. As Adunk mentioned I wonder what his market will be but hope he finds a spot that fits him.

MadBird

Lol. Or afternoon.

I’m fine with this. Let them all leave. I don’t understand the infatuation with the players on this roster leaving. Give the staff some damn time to replace lesser players with better ones.
I totally agree with you.

But some of the negative Nancies on here have already set up the theory that a coach can and must turn around a program now in two years with the portal and all, so if Pedon doesn't get it done ASAP, the drum beating can start all over.

And someone will need to explain to me soon, what's the deal with the transferring if you've already taken your "one free transfer"? Won't a guy like Chatman have to sit if he goes now? Did Strong sit a year?

Read a few articles this week about coaches dogging the portal, football and basketball. "Not sustainable". "Chaos". Something's gonna change fairly soon.

Adunk33

Staff member
I totally agree with you.

But some of the negative Nancies on here have already set up the theory that a coach can and must turn around a program now in two years with the portal and all, so if Pedon doesn't get it done ASAP, the drum beating can start all over.

And someone will need to explain to me soon, what's the deal with the transferring if you've already taken your "one free transfer"? Won't a guy like Chatman have to sit if he goes now? Did Strong sit a year?

Read a few articles this week about coaches dogging the portal, football and basketball. "Not sustainable". "Chaos". Something's gonna change fairly soon.
Coaching change allows a free transfer with no sit out. Everyone could leave and not sit regardless of how many times they've already transferred.

Baltimore Bird

It is interesting so many of these Portal entries at ISU are later in the game. I am hoping they are leaving because they think they are being recruited over and their PT will be limited.

cpacmel

Coaching change allows a free transfer with no sit out. Everyone could leave and not sit regardless of how many times they've already transferred.
Did that proposal ever pass? I know it was talked about. I don't think it ever came to fruition.

B

BirdGrad2011

All I know is Chatman quit on UMASS, quit here during Covid, came back and now quit again. I don’t blame him this time, but what a pattern.

Adunk33

Staff member
They can. Even if the coach doesn't leave that's possible.
But I don't think a coach leaving gives everyone a free transfer does it?
I thought it had past but haven't been able to find anything that says it had.
Article last Spring:

"Current athletes who have already transferred during their careers do not qualify under the new rule—they cannot transfer again and be immediately eligible without filing a waiver. The NCAA will continue using a waiver system for individual transfer requests from athletes who have already moved schools once and are seeking immediate eligibility, but the waiver criteria is expected to be more stringent."

If needed, Sy and Jo will get waivers. However, I believe the grad xfer rule is still in play. Both have done 4 years of school. So, if academically they progressed normally, then they'd be grad transfers, anyway.

Thinking about Mark, Kendall, and Liam they could transfer and get "hardship waivers." All they would have to do is say they're homesick and play somewhere a little closer to home. Mark back to TSU or MTSU, Kendall to Southern GA or GA State, Liam anywhere in the Pacific NW. I don't believe for a second that the "waiver criteria (will be more) stringent." I have full confidence if any of these guys wanted to leave, they will be able to play next year.

Redbird222

They can. Even if the coach doesn't leave that's possible.
But I don't think a coach leaving gives everyone a free transfer does it?
I tried researching it and I believe the school can offer a waiver. Chatman has been in school long enough that he may be able to graduate by this summer and qualify as a grad or maybe he is getting the waiver. At this point I would turnover as much of the roster as possible and start fresh.

The best recruiting class Muller had was when the roster completely flipped between his first and second year. I think on Zeisloft, Johns and Keane were the only remains from the prior year.

Lee
Wills
Lynch
Hawkins
McIntosch
Hunter
Knight
Lofton
Samual
Middlebrooks

I would say 7/10 contributed for at least 2 years and 9/10 had talent. I am hoping the new regime can be as successful as this class and for a longer period of time.

CaliRdBrd

It is interesting so many of these Portal entries at ISU are later in the game. I am hoping they are leaving because they think they are being recruited over and their PT will be limited.
I like to think that it’s because Pedon is telling them they’ll have to earn playing time by busting their asses, and that what they’ve done here in the past, or what the previous coach told them, means jack squat.

DBird

I like to think that it’s because Pedon is telling them they’ll have to earn playing time by busting their asses, and that what they’ve done here in the past, or what the previous coach told them, means jack squat.
Weather that is the reason for transferring or not I sure hope Pedon is saying that!
I’d like to think that they have a clue that seeing the floor will be getting harder.

Adunk33

Staff member
Weather that is the reason for transferring or not I sure hope Pedon is saying that!
I’d like to think that they have a clue that seeing the floor will be getting harder.
Pedon has said publicly during early work outs he told the team that they’ll have to earn everything. He said he even told the last years captains they’d have to earn their titles. He was prepared to start from scratch and is.