Butler vs ISU (Redbirds) Today

Bo-Peep

Butler utilized 12 out of 15 player in the game.

ISU utilized 7 out of 13 player. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Didn't we use this strategy last year with 2 ball hoggers? :?

Birdswin

Ok - I am always skeptical of people "griping" about playing time.

Yes, Butler played 12 people - however, there are TWO important details left out - ONE, it was a blow out game and you sometimes give other players game action - TWO, the minutes played by four the players for Butler was 1 min, 1 min, 3 mins, and 7 mins - not like we are talking much more than token time.

I looked at the roster - most, if not all of the players not playing for ISU were brought in by the previous coach. I would tend to give the new coach plenty of leeway on who is playing and who is not playing.

Bo-Peep

Birdswin said:
Ok - I am always skeptical of people "griping" about playing time.

Yes, Butler played 12 people - however, there are TWO important details left out - ONE, it was a blow out game and you sometimes give other players game action - TWO, the minutes played by four the players for Butler was 1 min, 1 min, 3 mins, and 7 mins - not like we are talking much more than token time.

I looked at the roster - most, if not all of the players not playing for ISU were brought in by the previous coach. I would tend to give the new coach plenty of leeway on who is playing and who is not playing.

My above statement was an observation/comparison. If you want to get deeper into it. The coach this year brought in 3 players. 1 is out hurt and 1 have been sitting. Not sure if she is hurt. A freshman who avg 18.6 points in high school. The other passed up perfectly good looks at the basket tonight . So that leaves 10 girls brought in by another coach. If you are good at coaching, you should know how to make the whole team work for you, not just who you bring in.

Sometime the chemistry is just not there. Switching up the players can change the dynamics of the game.

Butler 12 bench points - ISU 3 bench points.

1 min 2 mins or 3 mins on the floor is still time on the floor to the girls.

MadBird

Further observations based only on looking at stats -- the 3 returning ladies getting minimal PT were also at the bottom of the PT list last year. Of 31 games, one played in 17, one in 18 and one in 19. All averaged around 5 minutes per game. So, you know, while you'd like to see improvement from one year to another, one could also conclude there's a consistency here and the old coaching regime brought in some gals who aren't quite where they need to be yet. I have no explanation for the freshman who has played in two games so the staff has already "wasted" the shot at a redshirt, but again, was brought in by the old regime so maybe the fit is not there. We did not get in the fix we're in due to 4 star recruits not panning out.

Bo-Peep

I just hope the team improve as a whole.

Next game ISU vs Milwaukee.

Milwaukee played 12 players in their last game, all over 5 mins and 12 bench points. They won 66 -57.

Bo-Peep

Milwaukee played 12 players in their last game, all over 5 mins and 12 bench points. They won 66 -57.
Game before that one. 13 players, 7 players over 5 mins and 1 player 3 mins and 29 bench points. They won 74 - 38.

RedbirdSoxFan

Bo-Peep said:
I just hope the team improve as a whole.

What was the score of the Butler vs Illinois State game?

Redbird82

UConn uses 6-7 players,the number of players wasn't Barb Smith's problem. The number of players in the rotation, doesn't decide success

Bo-Peep

I found that Uconn last game they used 7 players, but all their previous games 12 players were used.

Bo-Peep

Redbird82 said:
UConn uses 6-7 players,the number of players wasn't Barb Smith's problem. The number of players in the rotation, doesn't decide success

I found that Uconn last game they used 7 players, but all their previous games 12 players were used.

MadBird

Bo-Peep = women's board's crazymark!?

Okay, are you trying to say UConn is winning by 30+ points per game because they play 12 people? Or is it that the bench gets cleared when the top 6 or 7 blow someone out?? One lady is averaging a minute and a half per game, another 4 minutes playing in 5 of 7 games, etc. They have the top 6 averaging 25 minutes per game, and another at 17.

I'm willing to get a ways into the season before I get to griping about PT for people. Normally I'm all for playing as many as you can, they only get better if they get a chance. But it's hard for me to believe Coach G isn't going to play anybody who can help her.

Bo-Peep

MadBird said:

Okay, are you trying to say UConn is winning by 30+ points per game because they play 12 people? Or is it that the bench gets cleared when the top 6 or 7 blow someone out?? One lady is averaging a minute and a half per game, another 4 minutes playing in 5 of 7 games, etc. They have the top 6 averaging 25 minutes per game, and another at 17.

I'm willing to get a ways into the season before I get to griping about PT for people. Normally I'm all for playing as many as you can, they only get better if they get a chance. But it's hard for me to believe Coach G isn't going to play anybody who can help her.

We can have a conversation without calling names.

Your opinion is your opinion and I respect that. My opinion is my opinion and you will respect that.
Because I can guarantee, you will lose in the name calling category! So just stick to the subject.

ISU85

Bo-Peep said:
MadBird said:

Your opinion is your opinion and I respect that. My opinion is my opinion and you will respect that.
Because I can guarantee, you will lose in the name calling category! So just stick to the subject.

I think the point is you seem to be implying if we only got twelve walkons and played twenty-five players a game we would win every game.

What is your obsession with number of players about?

Bo-Peep

I think the point is you seem to be implying if we only got twelve walkons and played twenty-five players a game we would win every game.

[/quote]

Not an obsession, Its just conversation and I'm just saying try a different strategy. Other teams already know you are going to play the same 5-7 girls. Throw something new at them.

Bo-Peep

ISU85 said:
Bo-Peep said:
MadBird said:

Not an obsession, Its just conversation and I'm just saying try a different strategy. Other teams already know you are going to play the same 5-7 girls. Throw something new at them.

Reggie Redbird

Bo-Peep said:
ISU85 said:
Bo-Peep said:

What if the other players on the team aren't effective? What if putting them out there means we would lose by 20-30 more points? I can understand why you wouldn't put some people out there.

I am surprised that Gillespie did not come in and lose one player. Perhaps sitting the bench another year means some players will transfer after seeing the court very little under Smith and Gillespie. Or those players may be find sitting another two years and graduate with a free college degree and be ecstatic they got that opportunity. I certainly don't blame anyone for leaving in search of playing time, but maybe some folks feel like they wouldn't receive the same free education elsewhere.

Simmons was a Smith recruit. I'm surprised she isn't on the court more with how heralded of a recruit she was. Perhaps she is still slowly recovering from her knee injury.

On a side note: I would venture you're connected to a player because this is the only forum you post on and you're talking about playing time. Is the reason you're bringing this topic up about playing time?

Bo-Peep

Reggie Redbird said:
Bo-Peep said:
ISU85 said:

What if the other players on the team aren't effective? What if putting them out there means we would lose by 20-30 more points? I can understand why you wouldn't put some people out there.

I am surprised that Gillespie did not come in and lose one player. Perhaps sitting the bench another year means some players will transfer after seeing the court very little under Smith and Gillespie. Or those players may be find sitting another two years and graduate with a free college degree and be ecstatic they got that opportunity. I certainly don't blame anyone for leaving in search of playing time, but maybe some folks feel like they wouldn't receive the same free education elsewhere.

Simmons was a Smith recruit. I'm surprised she isn't on the court more with how heralded of a recruit she was. Perhaps she is still slowly recovering from her knee injury.

On a side note: I would venture you're connected to a player because this is the only forum you post on and you're talking about playing time. Is the reason you're bringing this topic up about playing time?

A free education is great. The team needs to advance and I'm sure, there have to be some more offense on the bench. Simmon is expected to be back soon. Coaches are paid good money. I'll take the job. :)

Birdswin

How do you know there is "more offense" on the bench?? Have you been to practices?? These coaches spend a lot of time with these players.

I agree with Reggie's observation - this is the only place Bo-Peep is posting, thus, has to have a personal interest in one particular player - we have seen this on the men's basketball board a couple of times over the years - the most recent was Zach Lofton and Nic Moore.

Madbird was referring to a poster on the football and men's basketball board who goes by the name of crazzymark - he was not calling a name - just making an observation that the type of posting is similar.

Top Bottom