Brendan Mullins

ricohill

https://twitter.com/SIU_Basketball/status/1112762593616281600

Adunk33

Staff member
We all expected this. I'm surprised it took so long to announce. I'm guessing Brendan was the first call after Bryan got the job.

PurpleRedbird

Happy for him and good for us to get a new staff member. Really hope we get an experienced assistant.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ISU86

PurpleRedbird said:
Happy for him and good for us to get a new staff member. Really hope we get an experienced assistant.

Agreed. Would not have wanted to push anyone out, but now that there is an opening ...

ricohill

Birdswin said:
Hinson is available.

If we go that route, Jim Molinari would be my top choice. We need a veteran coach with experience to fill that spot.

Redbirds84

ricohill said:
Birdswin said:
Hinson is available.

If we go that route, Jim Molinari would be my top choice. We need a veteran coach with experience to fill that spot.

agreed. Molinari would be great. Defensive minded assistant and we all know we need to become better defensively.

birdlife

i am very VERY interested to see who Muller gets to fill the spot.

are there any realistic names floating around? cant tell if molinari is realistic or not.

V Boy

We need guys who can recruit better high-character players.

Rollbirds5

Let’s get a coach with a top 100 recruit for a son who hasn’t committed yet, and preferably with younger brothers coming up the pipeline too. half kidding half serious

Adunk33

Staff member
No inside info, but HIGHLY doubtful Muller goes for an older coach like a Hinson or Molinari. He's big on player relationships and likes to have assistants who can connect with recruits. An old white guy sitting in a living room in an intercity home, trying to talk a kid to come to Normal, Ill might be a little more challenging than having a younger guy or a Dean Oliver, or Penny Collins. Kids want to be able to relate to their potential future coaches. When it comes to recruiting, it's often that the assistant coach is the first point of contact. I bet its a current college assistant and one with ties to high school basketball in the state of Illinois. Brandon Dunson comes to mind. Currently an assistant at Nevada. It'd probably be a lateral move unless Muller offered "associate HC" status.

HT59

:text-+1:
ISU86 said:
PurpleRedbird said:

Agreed. Would not have wanted to push anyone out, but now that there is an opening ...

ricohill

Adunk33 said:
No inside info, but HIGHLY doubtful Muller goes for an older coach like a Hinson or Molinari. He's big on player relationships and likes to have assistants who can connect with recruits. An old white guy sitting in a living room in an intercity home, trying to talk a kid to come to Normal, Ill might be a little more challenging than having a younger guy or a Dean Oliver, or Penny Collins. Kids want to be able to relate to their potential future coaches. When it comes to recruiting, it's often that the assistant coach is the first point of contact. I bet its a current college assistant and one with ties to high school basketball in the state of Illinois. Brandon Dunson comes to mind. Currently an assistant at Nevada. It'd probably be a lateral move unless Muller offered "associate HC" status.

I would think Reese and Duhon (or his future replacement) could fill that role with recruiting. I know the Judson thing failed with Muller, but they need someone on the bench that can help Muller during games. You know there are issues with the x's and o's when Mullins was forced to scout every teams offense.

Bird Friend

We got any ex-managers in the HS coaching ranks? Worked pretty well last time . . . :D

Adunk33

Staff member
ricohill said:
Adunk33 said:

I would think Reese and Duhon (or his future replacement) could fill that role with recruiting. I know the Judson thing failed with Muller, but they need someone on the bench that can help Muller during games. You know there are issues with the x's and o's when Mullins was forced to scout every teams offense.

I agree a Judson-type could be beneficial, I just don't see it happening.

Hamdonger

ricohill said:

The Judson thing failed with Muller? Is that right...hmmm. Also, update on Div 1 basketball. Assistant coaches DO scout every team's offense. Nationwide. (is on your side) No "forcing." Asst's responsibility. Sorry you didn't know.

Complaints about Dan are fine but bring some meat to the table instead of nutritionally void ramen noodles. And yes, I get it. No tourney for 21 years. Unacceptable. I agree. I think every person here deems it unacceptable and it's time for that to change.

ISU FAN 1

Adunk33 said:
Everybody hates old white guys these days. Muller likes funny guys. Hinson checks that box.

Reggie Redbird

Anthony Beane would be an interesting option, if he wants to come back to town a 3rd time. Mullins may decide to keep him on, but I wonder where he'd rather be - Normal or Carbondale.

Can anyone confirm Mullins actually landed a recruit for us? I can't remember him being the lead recruiter on anyone, and it doesn't appear we got anyone from his Dad's AAU system. We hired someone, in what appeared to be a move to boost IL recruiting. We seemed to do better with guys Judson recruited, and I'm guessing Hinson can recruit. Sorry ADunk, but when is the last time we recruited and landed someone from an "inner city" program? It might be Paris.

Here's hoping we get someone who can help with the X's and O's and player development. That seems to be what we need more of. However, if there is someone who, guaranteed, will land a stud recruit, that could work too.

Top Bottom