Birds beat SIU

saxman210

The scene in the locker room

https://twitter.com/redbirdwbb/status/952690382483132416

Makes me wonder what Barb Smiths celebration looked like after her first Valley Win.

Redbird82

Happy for the ladies. Who would have thought if we split with SIU this weekend, it would be the women winning against 4-1 SIU

MadBird

Baby steps, but they're getting there. Saylor maybe starting to come around. Did this without Goods, that's impressive.

By my cyphering, didn't get win #7 until game 25 last year. Came in game #16 this year. Good show.

Bo-Peep

It still would be nice to see the bench implemented into the game.
I think this will take some of the fouls away from the starters. :think:

MadBird

Bo-Peep said:

I kind of pushed back when you brought this up a while back, but it IS hard to believe you couldn't squeeze a few worthwhile minutes per game out of the rest of the bench. Doesn't have to be 20 mpg, but4 or 6 or 8 from each of the "bottom four" of the roster seems like it could be done. The men's team is getting pretty good mileage from some unlikely spots. On the other hand, an 8 "man" rotation isn't that unusual.

I saw in an article in recent days that Van Hyfte hasn't played this year due to knee injury. Not sure if the idea is that she'd play at some point this year or if she's taking a redshirt. She played a few minutes per game last year as a freshman.

Bo-Peep

MadBird said:
Bo-Peep said:

I kind of pushed back when you brought this up a while back, but it IS hard to believe you couldn't squeeze a few worthwhile minutes per game out of the rest of the bench. Doesn't have to be 20 mpg, but4 or 6 or 8 from each of the "bottom four" of the roster seems like it could be done. The men's team is getting pretty good mileage from some unlikely spots. On the other hand, an 8 "man" rotation isn't that unusual.

I saw in an article in recent days that Van Hyfte hasn't played this year due to knee injury. Not sure if the idea is that she'd play at some point this year or if she's taking a redshirt. She played a few minutes per game last year as a freshman.

lol,

My recommendation would be to let the starters play the 1st 5 minutes of the 1st and 2nd quarter and the bench play the 2nd 5 minutes. The 3rd and 4th can be a mixture. According to who's producing or having a breakout game.

TIMMY

Bo-Peep said:
MadBird said:
Bo-Peep said:

lol,

My recommendation would be to let the starters play the 1st 5 minutes of the 1st and 2nd quarter and the bench play the 2nd 5 minutes. The 3rd and 4th can be a mixture. According to who's producing or having a breakout game.
And you'd be looking at a loss. KG is not a dope. Believe it or not she's at practice every day. She knows who's ready to play and who is not. You do understand they actually compete against each other every single day? It's called athletics. What you've suggested is ludicrous. No real coach would ever do it. Not ever. Sticking to those minutes... 10 minutes without a starter = 20 point loss. No one wants to see a a player go 40 minutes. But she's doing it out of necessity. Very glad she doesn't take recommendations.

Love+basketball

Congrats on a win Redbirds!

Are you in practice everyday? Have you been to a practice? In her conference interviews she openly admits she works with Sailor n Goods, not much about team development or growth other then starters defense play. I have not seen a true impact player in this conference. Everyone has a role that’s why other coaches plays a deeper rotation and focus on team play n growth. I think the point both Bo-peep n Madbird are making is that 4-5 players playing close to 40min with low scoring capability, it is hard to believe that you can not get production off the bench with a rotation by sprinklling/ spreading up to 5-10 min here or there or at the least giving the starters some fatigue relief so they do not fizzle out in 3rd n 4th Qtr. 🤔 the same strategy from last year w Smith. The bench works just as hard as starters,. Just looking at last year stats 2 off the bench were decent, flowers bloom w water and light... It’s not that hard to compete in this conference...give them bench some credit. No need to bash them. Let’s go Redbirds.

Bo-Peep

Love+basketball said:

Are you in practice everyday? Have you been to a practice? In her conference interviews she openly admits she works with Sailor n Goods, not much about team development or growth other then starters defense play. I have not seen a true impact player in this conference. Everyone has a role that’s why other coaches plays a deeper rotation and focus on team play n growth. I think the point both Bo-peep n Madbird are making is that 4-5 players playing close to 40min with low scoring capability, it is hard to believe that you can not get production off the bench with a rotation by sprinklling/ spreading up to 5-10 min here or there or at the least giving the starters some fatigue relief so they do not fizzle out in 3rd n 4th Qtr. 🤔 the same strategy from last year w Smith. The bench works just as hard as starters,. Just looking at last year stats 2 off the bench were decent, flowers bloom w water and light... It’s not that hard to compete in this conference...give them bench some credit. No need to bash them. Let’s go Redbirds.

Exactly, I'm glad you get it. You play as a team, win or lose. :

Green have back problems, Beck have ankle problems and have been wearing a band around the risk, saylor had a band around the risk, Goods is in and out with injuries.

Bo-Peep

Bo-Peep said:
Love+basketball said:

Exactly, I'm glad you get it. :clap:

TIMMY

Love+basketball said:

Have I been to a practice? Good Lord no. Why would I ever want to do that. 30 years of going to practices and evaluating coaches is finally behind me. :dance: Going to practice is the coaches job. My point was KG is there everyday. Not Bo Peep. And I didn't bash anyone. Players earn time. Sorry if that hurts someones feelings but that's how it works. It's not a rec league and KG isn't someones mommy. She and her staff know how to evaluate talent. Perhaps better than Bo Peep. :think: This is her shot. Her entire career is on the line here and now. :shock:
I don't know what BO peeps connection is to the team. Mommy, sister, girlfriend, roommate? :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy: I guess I'm assuming Po Peep didn't lose his sheep. But Bo recommended bench players get 50 out of 200 player minutes on the floor by themselves. 1/4 of the game without a starter. Really? And you want to defend that? Wow. :oops:

Bo-Peep

TIMMY said:
Love+basketball said:

Have I been to a practice? Good Lord no. Why would I ever want to do that. 30 years of going to practices and evaluating coaches is finally behind me. :dance: Going to practice is the coaches job. My point was KG is there everyday. Not Bo Peep. And I didn't blast anyone. Players earn time. Sorry if that hurts someones feelings but that's how it works. It's not a rec league and KG isn't someones mommy. She and her staff know how to evaluate talent. Perhaps better than Bo Peep. :think: This is her shot. Her entire career is on the line here and now. :shock:
I don't know what BO peeps connection is to the team, Mommy, sister, girlfriend, roommate? :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy: I guess I'm assuming Po Peep didn't lose his sheep. But Bo recommended bench players get 50 out of 200 player minutes on the floor by themselves. 1/4 of the game without a starter. Really? And you want to defend that? Wow. :oops:

If this is her shot. Why is she doing the same thing as Smith did last year? And we both see where it got Smith.

You prepare for war in the time peace. You build your weapons so they are all ready to go! You have 4 starter with injury problems. What are you going to do if the 4 can't play? God forbid.

And as far as making acquisitions, I can also accuse you of having connection, A sister as a starter maybe. So lets just have conversation about the games and plays.

TIMMY

Barb Smith didn't lose the way see did because of playing time. She was bad at her job. All of it. And that has nothing to do with this year.

I hate war analogies for something as trivial as sports. But you wanna go there? You build your soldiers at practice. You don't send a soldier to war unprepared. Without boot camp. Without demonstrating in practice they are ready for what? 1/4 of the game? Again... This isn't rec. league. You earn what you get.

But you did figure me out... Sort of. I am the Manchurian board poster. Planted here 20 years ago to defend KG were she to become Women's Basketball Coach. Can you believe it worked?

Sorry Bo. You've been on this PT kick from day one. And I haven't said diddly. You have an agenda. And you are welcome to that. But when you post about starters being removed for the last 5 minutes of the first 2 quarters??? I'm going to point out there's something wrong with that. Agenda.

Bo-Peep

TIMMY said:
Barb Smith didn't lose the way see did because of playing time. She was bad at her job. All of it. And that has nothing to do with this year.

I hate war analogies for something as trivial as sports. But you wanna go there? You build your soldiers at practice. You don't send a soldier to war unprepared. Without boot camp. Without demonstrating in practice they are ready for what? 1/4 of the game? Again... This isn't rec. league. You earn what you get.

But you did figure me out... Sort of. I am the Manchurian board poster. Planted here 20 years ago to defend KG were she to become Women's Basketball Coach. Can you believe it worked?

Sorry Bo. You've been on this PT kick from day one. And I haven't said diddly. You have an agenda. And you are welcome to that. But when you post about starters being removed for the last 5 minutes of the first 2 quarters??? I'm going to point out there's something wrong with that. Agenda.

You have your opinion and I respect that, whether I like it or not. I have my opinion and hope you are decent enough to respect that. If not you can recuse yourself from my posts and like wise.

JHBird

Redbird82 said:
Happy for the ladies. Who would have thought if we split with SIU this weekend, it would be the women winning against 4-1 SIU

Looks like they love their coach! That's bodes well for the future.

JHBird

TIMMY said:
Love+basketball said:

Have I been to a practice? Good Lord no. Why would I ever want to do that. 30 years of going to practices and evaluating coaches is finally behind me. :dance: Going to practice is the coaches job. My point was KG is there everyday. Not Bo Peep. And I didn't bash anyone. Players earn time. Sorry if that hurts someones feelings but that's how it works. It's not a rec league and KG isn't someones mommy. She and her staff know how to evaluate talent. Perhaps better than Bo Peep. :think: This is her shot. Her entire career is on the line here and now. :shock:
I don't know what BO peeps connection is to the team. Mommy, sister, girlfriend, roommate? :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy: I guess I'm assuming Po Peep didn't lose his sheep. But Bo recommended bench players get 50 out of 200 player minutes on the floor by themselves. 1/4 of the game without a starter. Really? And you want to defend that? Wow. :oops:
:text-+1:

Yep, the coach wants them to win more than even us. It's her career on the line.

Love+basketball

TIMMY said:
Love+basketball said:

I guess you didn’t read my complete reply. I was not specific to the 20min of time without a starter on the floor, where you seem to be stuck on and being very defensive. I figured that as an example. I gave a few other details in support of improving the rotation in response to both Madbird and Bo peep. It sounds like you maybe the one with a connection to the coach, the program or one of the starters mainintaining 36-40 min of time. all the players work hard and yes time is earned but again. I made other observations.. :whistle: . :lol:

Top Bottom