Big Rey

jamminjamarsmiley

Active member
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
2,156
Tulsa was a bubble team this season. I think their program is head and shoulders ahead of ISU today.

Hope Rey found a place than can harvest all the potential he possesses!

I will never forget the game Muller and crew blew at Tulsa in the 17 season. Typical game Muller couldn’t figure out how to finish.

One of the ugly losses that bounced isu from at large consideration.
 

redbird Recon

New member
Joined
Jul 18, 2017
Messages
462
From Tulsa's board:
Sophomore Rey Idowu transfers from Illinois State. 6-9 240 F.

Weird pickup to me. Averaged low single digit points and rebounds as a freshman and sophomore; and he lost playing time as last season progressed. He might be a good body to have on the front lines and he certainly has potential as a role player, but I'm not clear on whether he's likely to sit out or not. Seems like we might still need front court help next season.

Maybe the coaches know something we don't about the transfer eligibility rule changing next season.

https://tulsa.forums.rivals.com/threads/transfers.19789/
 

CaliRdBrd

Active member
Joined
Jul 17, 2017
Messages
4,417
redbird Recon said:
ricohill said:
redbird Recon said:
Are you and ricohill related? Friends? Just curious...

Friends. Part of a group of ISU fans. I’m not that close to Jamar, but Jamar and Trey are good friends (and not the same person).

I’m not that close with them, but on a group text of ISU fans.

I wouldn't mind getting in on that.

Same here. Seriously.
 

stats

New member
Joined
Aug 25, 2018
Messages
921
-Tulsa made the NCAA 5 of the 6 years between the 1982 and 1987 season.
-They also made the tournament 8 of the 10 years between 1994 and 2003. In that run, they won their opening round game in 7 of the 8 seasons they made it. More impressively that had a final 8 appearance along with 2 more seasons they made the sweet 16.
-In the past 17 seasons they have made the tournament twice, one of them being a play-in game. They haven't won a tournament game since 2003.
 

topiarydan

Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2018
Messages
561
We need to get Tulsa, Arkansas State, Memphis, Ball State, Western Kentucky and Northern Illinois to join the Valley - 16 hoops teams - 10 D1 teams (ISU, Northern Iowa, Missouri State and ND State jump up) - then let YSU go to MAC and you take rest of MVC Lite and combine with Pioneer - so you'd have Indy State, Valpo, Drake, WIU, South Dakota, SD State, Butler, SIU , N Dakota and Dayton as a nice FCS MVC conference.

Think about how nice that would be - 2 eight team divisions in hoops and a 10 team FBS conference and a 10 team FCS conference. One game on your schedule has FBS playing a counter FCS. While FBS would not be Power 5 it would still carry a lot of weight vs MAC, American, Sun Belt, Mountain West, etc.
 

TBS_20

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2019
Messages
459
topiarydan said:
We need to get Tulsa, Arkansas State, Memphis, Ball State, Western Kentucky and Northern Illinois to join the Valley - 16 hoops teams - 10 D1 teams (ISU, Northern Iowa, Missouri State and ND State jump up) - then let YSU go to MAC and you take rest of MVC Lite and combine with Pioneer - so you'd have Indy State, Valpo, Drake, WIU, South Dakota, SD State, Butler, SIU , N Dakota and Dayton as a nice FCS MVC conference.

Think about how nice that would be - 2 eight team divisions in hoops and a 10 team FBS conference and a 10 team FCS conference. One game on your schedule has FBS playing a counter FCS. While FBS would not be Power 5 it would still carry a lot of weight vs MAC, American, Sun Belt, Mountain West, etc.

Tulsa and Memphis are already in a much better conference with 3 bids per year. Why would they take a step down to a non fbs football conference when they're in the best non p5 football conference? Makes zero sense for them from the perspective of the two biggest college sports. They're better off in the AAC in both football and basketball.
 

redbirds2000

Active member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
1,126
TBS_20 said:
topiarydan said:
We need to get Tulsa, Arkansas State, Memphis, Ball State, Western Kentucky and Northern Illinois to join the Valley - 16 hoops teams - 10 D1 teams (ISU, Northern Iowa, Missouri State and ND State jump up) - then let YSU go to MAC and you take rest of MVC Lite and combine with Pioneer - so you'd have Indy State, Valpo, Drake, WIU, South Dakota, SD State, Butler, SIU , N Dakota and Dayton as a nice FCS MVC conference.

Think about how nice that would be - 2 eight team divisions in hoops and a 10 team FBS conference and a 10 team FCS conference. One game on your schedule has FBS playing a counter FCS. While FBS would not be Power 5 it would still carry a lot of weight vs MAC, American, Sun Belt, Mountain West, etc.

Tulsa and Memphis are already in a much better conference with 3 bids per year. Why would they take a step down to a non fbs football conference when they're in the best non p5 football conference? Makes zero sense for them from the perspective of the two biggest college sports. They're better off in the AAC in both football and basketball.
But they get to play in a half finished football stadium in Normal and then make trips to Fargo, DeKalb, Muncie, and Cedar Falls instead of going to Houston, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Orlanda, Dallas, New Orleans, D.C., and Tampa. I would love to be in the room for this pitch. Memphis and Tulsa would reply, "Who? Where? Why? What? Oh! April Fools! Good one, crappy MVC."
 

TBS_20

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2019
Messages
459
redbirds2000 said:
TBS_20 said:
topiarydan said:
We need to get Tulsa, Arkansas State, Memphis, Ball State, Western Kentucky and Northern Illinois to join the Valley - 16 hoops teams - 10 D1 teams (ISU, Northern Iowa, Missouri State and ND State jump up) - then let YSU go to MAC and you take rest of MVC Lite and combine with Pioneer - so you'd have Indy State, Valpo, Drake, WIU, South Dakota, SD State, Butler, SIU , N Dakota and Dayton as a nice FCS MVC conference.

Think about how nice that would be - 2 eight team divisions in hoops and a 10 team FBS conference and a 10 team FCS conference. One game on your schedule has FBS playing a counter FCS. While FBS would not be Power 5 it would still carry a lot of weight vs MAC, American, Sun Belt, Mountain West, etc.

Tulsa and Memphis are already in a much better conference with 3 bids per year. Why would they take a step down to a non fbs football conference when they're in the best non p5 football conference? Makes zero sense for them from the perspective of the two biggest college sports. They're better off in the AAC in both football and basketball.
But they get to play in a half finished football stadium in Normal and then make trips to Fargo, DeKalb, Muncie, and Cedar Falls instead of going to Houston, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Orlanda, Dallas, New Orleans, D.C., and Tampa. I would love to be in the room for this pitch. Memphis and Tulsa would reply, "Who? Where? Why? What? Oh! April Fools! Good one, crappy MVC."

:clap: :lol:
 

MadBird

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2017
Messages
2,717
Location
Madison, Wisconsin
TBS_20 said:
redbirds2000 said:
TBS_20 said:
I think Rey will succeed there.

What would that success look like?

I was thinking 12 ppg, 9 rpg as success for Rey in his senior season.

Rey averaged 4.4 points per game and 3.2 rebounds per game, averaging 15.6 minutes per game. If he got a couple more FG's per game, and a couple more FT's, that's 10 points per game. 2 more rebounds per half, he's at 7+ rebounds per game. Not that hard to imagine. Playing time alone could account for most of that, much less improving his skills and playing on a team with fewer chuckers.
 

Redbird222

Active member
Joined
Jul 18, 2017
Messages
3,082
His biggest issue was defense. He has a lot to overcome there. We can extrapolate numbers and say if he goes from appromaimately 16 minutes to 24 minutes the points and rebound go up 50% but it still doesnt address his defensive woes. He may get better but I still think it's best for both parties that he left.
 

redbirds2000

Active member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
1,126
TBS_20 said:
redbirds2000 said:
TBS_20 said:
I think Rey will succeed there.

What would that success look like?

I was thinking 12 ppg, 9 rpg as success for Rey in his senior season.
He won't be on the floor long enough. If he couldn't defend in the MVC, he won't magically be able to do it in AAC. The athletes he is going to have to guard at Houston, Cinci, WSU, etc...are light years ahead of what he was seeing in the MVC.
 
Top Bottom