Bensons four takeaways

Brick

For you that doubted the bond between Muller and his players read this morning’s article. Also note that Reeves said he’s staying. Yea that could change but with all the pain these kids have had in the last 48 hours pretty good to hear

jamminjamarsmiley

For you that doubted the bond between Muller and his players read this morning’s article. Also note that Reeves said he’s staying. Yea that could change but with all the pain these kids have had in the last 48 hours pretty good to hear
Do you think a player would say: I’m glad he’s gone?

Do you think reeves would say: I’m leaving bye?

The feel good puff piece is just targeted at the kool aid krew to make your hearts warm. Good job benson

DoubleDeuce

Like you alluded to, things change...but I sure respect the hell out of Reeves.

DoubleDeuce

I also like this quote from Abdou, "At the end of the day we're all here for the Redbirds and we're doing it for the fans and university. No matter what we have to give all we've got." This is why I show up to games and give my best as a fan...these kids deserve it.

Brick

The feel good puff piece is just targeted at the kool aid krew to make your hearts warm. Good job benson
So Reeves is a liar then? Man you just can’t take anything positive. Sad

DaveBird10

The Vidette did a similar piece. I am glad he said it but I want to wait until the year is over the dust settles and we see who the next coach is. I believe McIntosh had very similar comments after losing in the NIT to UCF and ultimately transferred to Oregon. These are kids that don't have a clue what they are doing in the next day or so let alone this afternoon. Glad they are saying the correct things and handling it in a respectable manner.

Brick

Hardly naive at my age and with my life experiences. I pointed out that it could change. But Reeves etc made direct quotes about their relationships and their plans but You automatically assumed they were not telling the truth, at least at the moment. I choose to believe those kids rather than pretend I am a mind reader.

jamminjamarsmiley

Hardly naive at my age and with my life experiences. I pointed out that it could change. But Reeves etc made direct quotes about their relationships and their plans but You automatically assumed they were not telling the truth, at least at the moment. I choose to believe those kids rather than pretend I am a mind reader.
And every coach says every team they face is really good, really hard to defend and have a great coach. Do you believe that’s true? Ever hear a coach say: our opponent sucks!

Point being, in the media everyone is nice and doesn’t say anything to offend anyone. I don’t glean anything from comments made that you are referring to. But it seems to make you feel good so I’m happy for you.

Brick

And every coach says every team they face is really good, really hard to defend and have a great coach. Do you believe that’s true? Ever hear a coach say: our opponent sucks!

Point being, in the media everyone is nice and doesn’t say anything to offend anyone. I don’t glean anything from comments made that you are referring to. But it seems to make you feel good so I’m happy for you.
Those were DIRECT players quotes not Benson. Nothing to do with Benson or any coaches statements. You inferred that what they were saying wasn’t true. I prefer to believe them. Not much about this situation makes me happy but trust but verify. I will believe these kids til proven different. Enough of this. I have a tee time in an hour. THAT makes me happy

stats

I also like this quote from Abdou, "At the end of the day we're all here for the Redbirds and we're doing it for the fans and university. No matter what we have to give all we've got." This is why I show up to games and give my best as a fan...these kids deserve it.
To me, Abdou seems like a player that could benefit the most from a system that fits his skill set.

Total Red

Staff member

I don’t know, but I can assure you players and coaches get trained on how to speak to the media. If you think comments made in a press conference are 100% genuine and always the truth, that is quite naive.
I'll go part way down that path with you and then break off.

Any time a college athlete is publicly quoted I take it with a grain of salt. That's especially true when it comes to staying. College players often say they are staying right up to the point when they leave - coaches too.

Reeves might know what is expected of him, but I don't believe there was any real pressure on him to respond a certain way. We want him to stay. Is Kyle or anyone else going to reprimand him if he doesn't make a positive comment about Dan? Not gonna happen.

I read the comments from Tone and Abdou carefully. They didn't have to be that positive about Dan if they didn't want to.

They could have begged off the question - "It's been an emotional rollercoaster. I don't really want to comment right now."
They could have even given a response with an edge to it - "We know Coach Dan tried to make us a better but as a team we were ready for a fresh start."

I believe the comments from those two were mostly genuine. And the Paris Lee quote should be regarded as highly genuine because he didn't have to comment. Those 3 may not speak for all players but it is clear that he did have players that supported him.

Birgs

Actually after reading the quotes again, it appears that the Tone and Abdou are supportive of their relationship with him, but they refrain from commenting on his coaching ability.

jamminjamarsmiley: Who do you think you are? What have you accomp;ished? Do you donate to the program? Are you a season ticket holder? Have you played or volunteered for ISU Athletics. You and CaliBird are just trolls unless you can provide otherwise proof.​

B

BirdGrad2011

Now Randy is ripping people celebrating a move being made. Nobody is ripping on Dan as a person. He was hired to win games and failed. We celebrate newfound hope at the future of the program. We aren’t celebrating Dan failing. We all wanted him to succeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamminjamarsmiley

jamminjamarsmiley: Who do you think you are? What have you accomp;ished? Do you donate to the program? Are you a season ticket holder? Have you played or volunteered for ISU Athletics. You and CaliBird are just trolls unless you can provide otherwise proof.​

I will bow down to the almighty Birgs, the only person on the board to go ALL the way down on the sinking ship with muller. Impressive accomplishment. Most had jumped off during the season, but not you!

jamminjamarsmiley

Now Kindred is ripping people celebrating a move being made. Nobody is ripping on Dan as a person. He was hired to win games and failed. We celebrate newfound hope at the future of the program. We aren’t celebrating Dan failing. We all wanted him to succeed.
This 100%

Top Bottom