Be Bold - Do the Unexpected

Birdswin

Due to MASSIVE offensive struggles the previous 6 quarters - I would suggest doing what SEMO would least expect, starting with the second series - go hurry-up/no huddle on offense. They are not going to game plan for that. What have we got to lose based on the offense we have seen? If anything, may give the team a new sense of confidence during practice, because we are trying something different.

TIMMY

I like your thinking. And I'd do this out of hurry up no huddle.There is nothing to lose here. I'd take it a step further. I was talking to my son about it during the Bears game. He played for me and coached with me and there were years we ran this. I'd play it like I don't have a quarterback on the roster. I'd put in 5 new plays and run them out of unbalanced single wing. Robinson's your QB. Figure out a blocking back and wing. If you kept it that simple you could run it and I promise the SEMO DC wouldn't know what do do. All you need are a couple of scores early and then give the games to your defense.
It would take balls. You'd open yourself up to criticism. But let's face it. THEY CAN"T THROW THE BALL ANYWAY!

The kids are down. They're not stupid. They would be jacked if the coaches were gutsy and pulled something like this out of their ass. Throw caution to the wind. They could make it work.

Birdswin

I like the idea of using Robinson as the QB - or what some people would call Wildcat. At least from time-to-time - run it until they stop it. Make their defense and coaches make changes - heck, maybe even get them to burn a timeout or two.

Total Red

Staff member
I can go for bold. I can't go for foolhardy. Yesterday we played two young QB's that had very little game experience. The results weren't good. I don't think the answer is to go with someone that has never played QB. Robinson is an All-American RB. Don't screw with the parts of the offense that work. I'd start Jefferson. He's a better runner than Baltz and a better passer than Robinson. We still need to complete a few passes. Jefferson gives us a chance.

Baltz may eventually be a good QB but like Coach Spack was saying earlier this season the passing game takes time to come together. We don't have time. We have a 1 game season Saturday. Robinson and Jefferson give us two good running threats in the backfield and maybe Jefferson can nail a few passes. Jefferson has been in our program for 2 seasons and his time in now.

MadBird

Well, while we're tossing around "bold" ideas, what'd be wrong with throwing Hatfield in there for a few snaps? I mean, I think the wildcat idea with J Rob isn't the worst in the world, but Hatfield might be a better option as a backup to the backup.

TIMMY

The title of this thread is Be Bold - Do The Unexpected. So that's what I'm throwing out there.
Robinson wouldn't be a QB. The position is what I called QB. He's going to catch it and run, The unbalanced part makes it harder for the defense to line up and makes guys on defense do things they're not accustomed to doing. Birdswin is correct it's the older better version of a wildcat. Robinson running with it is the only thing that works. Give it to him 50 times. He;s not going to throw it.
Just my opinion but if they line up the way they've been lining up they don't have a chance. To me that's foolhardy.
Robinson would be the TB in this diagram
single-wing-power-6.jpg

This keeps the defense honest
single-wing-counter-7.jpg

Simple 5 plays. A kid could run this. :)
Hey put Hatfild at the FB in this diagram and let him throw it. Who'd see that coming?
Bold and Beautiful.

Birdswin

I like this a lot - that Power 6 formation would be very confusing to the Defense - and you could run this no huddle until they stop it. After several times, they may even burn a defensive timeout. Once again - nothing else has worked. Heck, you could make the case the offense has underperformed even when Davis was the QB.

TIMMY

Absolutely no huddle call it at the line. Throw in a power sweep and a weak side ISO with the TB blocking for the FB. There are 10 gaps in this formation. Go ahead. Defend it! :lol:

Virginia Redbird

TIMMY said:
Absolutely no huddle call it at the line. Throw in a power sweep and a weak side ISO with the TB blocking for the FB. There are 10 gaps in this formation. Go ahead. Defend it! :lol:

Let's all be honest...can it get any worse than it was Saturday? Has Hatfield suddenly forgotten how to throw? Are they worried about Baltz and Jefferson losing confidence? Like the drubbing they have both taken in the regular offense has lifted their confidence? Bring in Hatfield, run single wing with Robinson, hell, split Himmelman out and throw him the ball...he is one catch for one pass with a TD! Best receiving stats on the team! Okay...maybe too bold...

TIMMY

Virginia if they are worried about Baltz and Jefferson's confidence and that dictates what they do Saturday they should all be gone. But you know what'll kill confidence faster than anything? Combined 3/16 for 30 yds and 3 INT's. And you know who's confidence got killed Saturday? Everyone's!
I don't know what they're answer will be Saturday but I know what mine would be. Damn the torpedoes and damn the critics.

fourthandshort

Just started looking at SEMO resume and stats .. yes they went 9-3, but 8-3 against D-I and their FCS schedule ranked just 54th .. afterall, it is the OVC. They were co-champs along with APU but lost to APU. Same APU that lost to two 3-9 teams .. ETSU and Tenn St. If you look at the 5 best OVC conf wins for SEMO, they won by average of 6 points per game over teams Massey ranked 39 to 94. We complained about our Redbird for beating weak teams by 14 to 21 points per game.

Statistically, they broke even against their opponents in first downs and total yards, and had avg margin against FCS of 29.6 to 24. So it is not like they were beating up on their OVC competition. They just found ways to barely win a lot of games against average teams .. sounds familar, but not daunting.

But then there is matter of our QB position .. yes, Houston, we have a problem and we're going to have to get a little creative, but still find ways to chew up some clock and get some first downs. Then hope special teams and defense can pull of a few big plays.

But SEMO is not nearly as strong as their 9-3 record looks on the surface. And we need to come in with same attitude YSU came at us ... play with nothing to lose and win a scrum type game .. and feel good about it. Very important to manage expectations .. we have a new reality .. no use wringing hands over it at this point.

birdfan68

Long time reader. Long time ago poster.
Timmy brought me out. 55 years ago played single wing. Never thought
I'd see diagrammed single wing plays again.
A team can win with just running plays. You need good blocking and a goal
of 4 yards at a time. Make mistakes and get behind, your goose is cooked.
It's ball control and you slug it out in the trenches.

chuckie1980

win win win win win win win win win win win....and if we gotta do 4 yards at a time....then 4 plus 4 plus 4 plus.4

MadBird

Well, I feel like Mr. Cold Water this morning, but . . . . I leaned over to Mrs. MadBird at the Mo. State game and said, I'm sick and tired of the announcer saying "gain of 3 for the Redbirds". Almost every damn running play, J Rob gets 2 or gets 3 (unless he gets 25 or 50 ;) ). It's 3rd and 8, and we pass for 5 yards. Seems like our opponents have no problem running for 12, passing for 15!!

Crank it up Birds, let it rip!! :D

DannyCooksey

I honestly don’t know which QB gives us a better chance to win. I do firmly believe you need to decide that by yesterday and decide on one and only one and coach that kid up and make him feel 10’ tall going into Saturday.

You can’t shuffle QBs IMHO.

That said I completely agree with the hurry up offense. Just go balls to the wall. Whoever starts I’d go back and implement some of the sets from high school that they ran so well. Try to put them in position to make the kind of plays that drew you to recruit them in the first place.

Make this a fun practice week. Let the upperclassmen take the lead and let whoever is playing QB have fun and play loose.

My biggest concern again is that someone needs to step up and take some of the load off JR in the run game. He can’t do it by himself.

ChiRedbirdfan

Hurry up offense definitely needs to be practiced and suddenly plugging it in sounds easier than reality. Spack seems to be an old school think about/slow play type of coach and I believe he is nowhere near ready for the quick pace play calling. But as many have said the status quo is not a good option either.

fourthandshort

I think couple if scripted hurry up plays here and there makes sense. But not as a game plan for either of our 2 very inexperienced QBs. Under Spack we're just not wired or well practiced in that way. And the idea of how that could back fire and result on our defense being on the field that much more ... no thanks. Script it in for 2nd and short plays once in a while just to catch them off guard. But not otherwise .. that could seriously back fire and lose the entire team.

We can win this game .. SEMO is not a dominant team. Let's mix it up but not go crazy. I dont care if we win 7-6 or 13-10 or whatever. Let's center this game plan around our defense keeping us in this game .. not playing Russian roulette on offense.

StLRedbird

fourthandshort said:
I think couple if scripted hurry up plays here and there makes sense. But not as a game plan for either of our 2 very inexperienced QBs. Under Spack we're just not wired or well practiced in that way. And the idea of how that could back fire and result on our defense being on the field that much more ... no thanks. Script it in for 2nd and short plays once in a while just to catch them off guard. But not otherwise .. that could seriously back fire and lose the entire team.

We can win this game .. SEMO is not a dominant team. Let's mix it up but not go crazy. I dont care if we win 7-6 or 13-10 or whatever. Let's center this game plan around our defense keeping us in this game .. not playing Russian roulette on offense.
I agree with this, fourth. It just isn't Spack's style, anyway. We need to get a push from the OL or this is all academic anyway. Any team that wants to be run-only must average 4-5 a play. More would be nice.