at Valparaiso (2-17) - Sunday, 3/3/2024 - 1 pm - ESPN+

TBus_Birds

I know the Birds haven't exactly been setting the world on fire over this stretch, but it's amazing that ISU hasn't stumbled into at least another win or two vs. Valpo since they joined the Valley. 2-11 record head-to-head since 2017-18 is...something.

Do what's been working and lock in a .500+ regular season before STL.

ISU86

a game we (probably) do not need in order to keep the seven seed (as the Racers are on the road versus the Sycamores) versus a team that we (as a rule) do not play anywhere near our best basketball against.

This has all the earmarks of a "going through the motions/mailing it in" performance written all over it.

Redbirds 70
Beacons 69

Matt Lottich was 54-74 in the MVC during his helm with the Crusaders/Beacons, 11-3 versus the Redbirds.

DoubleDeuce

a game we (probably) do not need in order to keep the seven seed (as the Racers are on the road versus the Sycamores) versus a team that we (as a rule) do not play anywhere near our best basketball against.

This has all the earmarks of a "going through the motions/mailing it in" performance written all over it.

Redbirds 70
Beacons 69

Matt Lottich was 54-74 in the MVC during his helm with the Crusaders/Beacons, 11-3 versus the Redbirds.
I would be disappointed if this team mails it in. I think they are in a place now where they fight, regardless.

TBS_20

this team should finish at least 17-16. Thats a huge improvement. great to see these guys come together and not give up when they were 3 games under. No matter what the record is the season was a success. Hopefully, these last few games will make them stay together next year.

Hamdonger

this team should finish at least 17-16. Thats a huge improvement. great to see these guys come together and not give up when they were 3 games under. No matter what the record is the season was a success. Hopefully, these last few games will make them stay together next year.
If we lose Sunday and another Valley opener loss...I wouldn't call it a success. The next 11 days tells us a lot about who we really are.

TBS_20

If we lose Sunday and another Valley opener loss...I wouldn't call it a success. The next 11 days tells us a lot about who we really are.
I mean success compared to last year. Pedon has them improving. I wasnt expecting a sweet 16...or even an NIT. He has them playing with heart and never giving up with a chance for a winning record. Id call that a big step forward.

Bird Friend

Redbirds 70
Beacons 69

‘Cept Lottich isn’t their coach anymore . ..

Hamdonger

TBS, i get you. We just have this deal here on the board where it goes higher than Cheech and Chong for good wins and we're the scum of the earth if we lose. This is finals week for us. We find out if the highs and lows...have actually paid off. I'm ready to formally see us graded. And I believe this Valpo exam is half of our grade...for several reasons. We haven't won there since Gus Chiggins was mining for gold in Cali, for the love of pete.

We HAVE TO GET OUT OF THURSDAY. Talk to you peeps after StL.

Last edited:

Redbirdmike

I mean certain teams have traditionally given us fits every year (UNI - Drake), but I’ve never been sure why we skid vs. the lesser Valpo teams. They are 2-17 so we have to continue to play hard and come out with that win on the road. I watched that “absolute three overtime war” last night between UIC and Drake. UIC had them dead in the water and they let it slip away. This may be the year where ANY team can win one game they are not supposed to win in the LOU. Got to fight, stay focused for 60 minutes and not take any possession off. Our turnovers are down.

The first game bs. Valpo was an absolute baffler losing by nine at home. I think we were all absolutely shocked at the result. We were 8-8 at that point and coming off a four game skid. That game was supposed to be the end of the skid. We lost the following game to Drake then to go 8–10. We are in a much better place now!

No doubt, do not take this game (or any game) for granted, but I see us breaking the spell and rolling into the Lou at 16-15/10-10.
More importantly we will have won 5 of 6 with an extremely close loss to Bradley in there. Very few, if anyone, go into the tournament as hot as us if that follows suit.

I’m completely satisfied and shocked at the turnaround we’ve seen after the low point had us all rolling heads.

Birds and Coach Pedon trending up!

Birds 73
Valpo 69

Go Birds!

Redbird82

We broke the long losing losing streak against UNI, payed back the last second shot against MSU from a few years ago. For goodness sake beating a terrible Valpo team that has inexplicably owned us the last few years should….be the easiest of those 3

Birgs

Other than the Bradley outlier, the scores have been plenty up.
It will be interesting to see how we play with a big lead.
Mal goes off. Foster double-doubles.

Barkeep, throw me another shot of that tasty Red Kool-Aid!

'Birds 72
Valpo 55

...or perhaps Judson and Pedon try some new stuff during garbage time with Johnny, Walker, (see what I did there) and Pence together and the score goes a little more conservative.

Baltimore Bird

Coach P said Lieb has been practicing, but is not in game shape yet. I got the idea he was striving to get back. If he takes minutes from Walker, I am not in favor of it. I would like to see Burford play some minutes against Valpo, but that seemed less likely. So, he will probably play.

Top Bottom