at UIC - 11/30/23 - 7 pm - ESPN+

TBS_20

Luke Yaklich is bringing it around. He will be the DePaul coach in 3 years or less.

SlackBooDom

Eight day rest for ISU in comparison to a UIC team flying home from the Bahamas and playing in a turnaround of only a few days favors the Birds. As you can imagine with a Luke Yaklich team, they are making their hay on defense. The 51st ranked D right now that is crushing teams by defending the 3, the paint, and blocking shots. Hate to say it, but this one isn’t an ideal matchup for a team that doesn’t score the ball all that great. Don’t see the winner getting over 65 and I don’t see that being us.

ISU86

If this game were at CEFCU I would think it is a toss up; seeing as it is at CU1 ...

Redbirds 64
Flames 73

On a side note, I find it interesting that, even with a 5-2 start, some on the board are still staunch Yaklich believers even though coming into this season he was 35-49 overall at UIC (and, by record, his team regressed from season two to season three). Six games into year two and we already have villagers coming after Pedon with pitchforks and torches. Maybe when it isn't happening in your own back yard ...

Adunk33

Staff member
Eight day rest for ISU in comparison to a UIC team flying home from the Bahamas and playing in a turnaround of only a few days favors the Birds. As you can imagine with a Luke Yaklich team, they are making their hay on defense. The 51st ranked D right now that is crushing teams by defending the 3, the paint, and blocking shots. Hate to say it, but this one isn’t an ideal matchup for a team that doesn’t score the ball all that great. Don’t see the winner getting over 65 and I don’t see that being us.

Does it? The breaks in ISU's schedule this year really haven't done them much good. I see 5-8 days in between games as hard to establish a rhythm with lineups and the guys playing together in actual games. Whereas UIC has just come off an MTE they could've won just a few days ago. If it was a betting option, I would take the "under" in points before the u16 timeout in the first half. Our guys are going to have some rust to shake off. In theory, sure, UIC would be tired from playing so recently and having to travel back. On the other side of the coin, our squad hasn't seen game action in over a week.

TBS_20

If this game were at CEFCU I would think it is a toss up; seeing as it is at CU1 ...

Redbirds 64
Flames 73

On a side note, I find it interesting that, even with a 5-2 start, some on the board are still staunch Yaklich believers even though coming into this season he was 35-49 overall at UIC (and, by record, his team regressed from season two to season three). Six games into year two and we already have villagers coming after Pedon with pitchforks and torches. Maybe when it isn't happening in your own back yard ...
He took over a terrible program

DoubleDeuce

Not sure I see anyone coming hard after Pedon. I do see either criticism or compliments by posters being overstated as attacks or koolaid drinking praise. Been this way for years...just human nature I guess.

SlackBooDom

Does it? The breaks in ISU's schedule this year really haven't done them much good. I see 5-8 days in between games as hard to establish a rhythm with lineups and the guys playing together in actual games. Whereas UIC has just come off an MTE they could've won just a few days ago. If it was a betting option, I would take the "under" in points before the u16 timeout in the first half. Our guys are going to have some rust to shake off. In theory, sure, UIC would be tired from playing so recently and having to travel back. On the other side of the coin, our squad hasn't seen game action in over a week.
I don’t think the breaks in the schedule are the problem with this team…

To answer, yes. If I told you blind test you can practice and recover from injuries for 8 days or you can play 4 times in 7 days with flights to and from the Bahamas included, which would you choose?

B

BirdGrad2011

Nobody is coming for Pedon. There is concern after a 3-3 start and especially our last game. Pedon will get through next year at worst. We can still question and/or praise.

TBS_20

Shouldn't be concerned a few weeks into year 2. If they suck halfway through year three then we can get concerned. Trust me, I'll be beating the fired horse before most. Don't worry 🤣

RedbirdSoxFan

To answer, yes. If I told you blind test you can practice and recover from injuries for 8 days or you can play 4 times in 7 days with flights to and from the Bahamas included, which would you choose?
If UIC wins, it is because Illinois State had not played in 8 days and were rusty.
If Illinois State wins it’s because UIC just played 4 games in 7 days with flights to and from the Bahamas 😉

B

BirdGrad2011

Shouldn't be concerned a few weeks into year 2. If they suck halfway through year three then we can get concerned. Trust me, I'll be beating the fired horse before most. Don't worry 🤣
Concerned was probably the wrong term. Jealous? Seeing Evansville out to a hot start while coming off a game we didn’t even show up too probably is more jealous than concern.

P

Popsto4

Concerned was probably the wrong term. Jealous? Seeing Evansville out to a hot start while coming off a game we didn’t even show up too probably is more jealous than concern.
1-2 in Fla. and was close to being at least 2-1. The bad loss made the trip look worse than it really was. The next game is always the biggest game. Now, if they can string at least two or three in a row that would do wonders for the team and the fanbase too I believe.

Phantom

I don't like long breaks. I don't like road games after long breaks. I don't like road games against improved teams after long breaks. I don't like road games against improved teams after long breaks that give you too much time to dwell on the pants shitting the last time we played.

Let's just not get killed.

Dmills

Last year was UGLY @UIC. Hoping for a better result this time around but I fear it might be worse.

B

BirdGrad2011

1-2 in Fla. and was close to being at least 2-1. The bad loss made the trip look worse than it really was. The next game is always the biggest game. Now, if they can string at least two or three in a row that would do wonders for the team and the fanbase too I believe.
This. Even beating the tar out of a cupcake before Thursday would calm a ton of concerns.

Adunk33

Staff member

Are there known injuries on the team that are needing to recover? If so, then I would obviously choose the rest, but I don't believe that to be the case unless I missed something. Otherwise, I would want to ride the momentum and keep on playing. The reality is that the team and us fans are sitting with an awful taste in our mouth for over a week. Sure, had they won in Florida, this whole convo probably isn't happening but coming off a stinker to play a conference game on the road is a tough ask having sat for a week.

Dmills

I've been a little down on Pedon since the Wright State game. I'm going to throw some reason for optimism out there though. As fans, it is really easy to get sucked into recent results because we are trying to figure out what this team is made of. A bad game like Wright State followed by a long layoff is going to result in none of us being excited for the first conference game on the road at UIC. As has been stated by some, we have a bad taste in our mouths. This is all understandable and I'm right there with all of you. However, from a player/team perspective, the guys SHOULD be fired up to play. They are going into Chicago looking to prove something rather than riding high on a big win streak. I'm very discouraged following the Wright State game, but I think a game like that may impact the team positively at least as far as the UIC game goes. Beyond that, who knows. If Pedon is who we hope he is, he will have the guys heads screwed on right and ready to bounce back. That may not necessarily mean a win but it should be a much improved effort.

B

BirdGrad2011

I keep going back to did we play to win? In the first half of the High Point game it seemed like we were experimenting a lot with the rotations and dug ourselves a hole. Wright State came out shooting lights out then we started experimenting and never got a rhythm. I don’t want to say we weren’t trying, but we’re those 2 games trying to learn more than shortening rotation and going all out for the win?

ChiRedbirdfan

Luke Yaklich is bringing it around. He will be the DePaul coach in 3 years or less.
Yak is 19-36 in valley play, 35-49 overall entering his 4th year. Using the sentiment around here (of which I understand and endorse for the most part) he should have already been jettisoned by UIC. Yes he is off to a respectable start this year and we will soon see if he keeps it up. I highly doubt he does anything meaningful on a multiyear basis.

Moral of Yak story....sometimes it takes more time than the mere 18 months that Pedon has enjoyed in order to have some success.

Top Bottom