at Indiana State - 02/18/2023 - 1:00 PM - ESPN3

ISU86

The Redbirds commence on their final roadtrip of the season as they venture to the Hulman Center to face the Sycamores.

I(L)SU is tied for ninth place in conference at 5-12 (10-18 overall) whereas I(N)SU is in a three-way tie for third place at 12-5 (19-9 overall).

The "Teachers" are led in scoring and assists by Darius Burford (12.3, 2.6) and rebounding by Kendall Lewis (7.1), Seneca Knight (12.0), Lewis (10.7) and Malachi Poindexter (10.0) also average in double-digits; the "Fighting Teachers" are led in scoring and rebounding by Courvoisier McCauley (17.0, 5.5) and assists by Cameron Henry (3.9), Henry (10.5) Cooper Neese (10.0) and Robbie Avila (10.0) also average double-digits. The 'birds generally go eleven and the Trees go twelve deep on any given night.

According to NET Ranking, Illinois State's (270) toughest opponent was Bradley (63, two losses), their best win was against Belmont (118) and their worst loss was to Illinois-Chicago (289); Indiana State's (93) toughest opponent was Bradley (63, loss), their best win was against Drake (71) and their worst loss was to Missouri-Kansas City (268).

At this point in the season, there are more common opponents than not (the Redbirds lost and the Sycamores defeated Ball State in non-conference); as far as strengths, the Redbirds only have it in free-throw percentage and blocked shots.

ISU Blue won the first match-up at CEFCU Arena, 76-67.

The two teams are headed in opposite directions, as Illinois State is currently on a four-game losing streak while Indiana State is on a six-game winning streak.

Our Redbirds are both short-handed and worn down. Offensively there is still life but defensively is another story as they appear lost (giving up an average of 82 points per game over the last four (all losses)). At this point, it feels like our best hope is that the Sycamores come out ice cold from the field, and even that may not be enough (and they (on paper) are the lesser of the two hosts we play on this trip (Drake is the other opposition)).

Sam 76, Reggie 65

Last edited:

Matt Hein Fan

Making the trip down to Terre Haute for this one. Hoping to at least be competitive but fully expecting a rough performance all around as is often the case on the road. If Liam/Colton are still out I see our task as very daunting.

Redbird28

Is anyone thinking of making the trip? If so, and you haven't gotten your tickets yet you can buy 3$ uppers using the Promo Code POOLS. They are giving away Avila goggles to the first 2500 and rally towels to the first 3500.

The goggles thing feels little bit like a shot after the Birds failed to recruit the Illinois kid.

ISU86

Is anyone thinking of making the trip? If so, and you haven't gotten your tickets yet you can buy 3$ uppers using the Promo Code POOLS. They are giving away Avila goggles to the first 2500 and rally towels to the first 3500.

The goggles thing feels little bit like a shot after the Birds failed to recruit the Illinois kid.

They are in the regular season hunt and at least are offering up something to entice folks who may not normally come out to do so (more than another ISU I know).

B

BirdGrad2011

They are in the regular season hunt and at least are offering up something to entice folks who may not normally come out to do so (more than another ISU I know).
Our ISU has done plenty to entice people to come. Results just haven’t been there under a first year coach.

Adunk33

Staff member
Seneca and Mal both battling the flu. Both will play. We’ll see how this goes. Someone on the bench is going to have to step up

Last edited:

Baltimore Bird

Unfortunately the bench has little D1 talent. 24 14 at 7:11 mark. We have not scored in a long time.

P

Popsto4

Unfortunately the bench has little D1 talent. 24 14 at 7:11 mark. We have not scored in a long time.
It all changed with first substitution today. Knight feeling bad Mal running out of gas feeling bad as well

Manchester Matt

Everything is a whistle. We don’t have the depth or available bodies to play a game like this. Surprised it’s this close based on that honestly.

SlackBooDom

The three programs we most closely replicate based on analytic profile are Maine, Idaho, and Prairie View A&M. Says more than any of us could about where this basketball program currently resides.

Redbird82

Walk ons played in front of scholarship players again. No excuses for not having a talent upgrade next year. I guess you gotta give a pass on Petrakis, keeping Kosovo, Schmitt, etc. But next year seriously need improvement…I know stating the obvious

Buffett1

SlackBooDom

SlackBooDom

I was referencing this season.

Efficiency Margin: -8.34 to -8.38
Record: 10-18 to 10-15
Strength of Schedule: 274 to 257

Programs are one and the same right now.
Maine does have a 1st year head coach though so their fans can easily see where things are headed just like us!

Top Bottom