at Drake - 02/22/2023 - 7:00 PM - ESPN+

ISU86

The Redbirds complete their final road trip of the season (and play their final true road game) as they venture to The Knapp Center to face the Bulldogs.

ISU is tied for ninth place in conference at 5-13 (10-19 overall) whereas DU is tied for first place at 14-4 (23-6 overall).

The "Teachers" are led in scoring and assists by Darius Burford (12.6, 2.5) and rebounding by Kendall Lewis (7.3), Seneca Knight (11.6), Lewis (10.8) and Malachi Poindexter (10.1) also average in double-digits; the "Drakes" are led in scoring by Tucker DeVries (19.2), rebounding by Darnell Brodie (7.2) and assists by Roman Penn (5.4), Penn (12.6) also averages double-digits. The 'birds generally go eleven and the 'dogs go ten deep on any given night.

According to NET Ranking, Illinois State's (271) toughest opponent was Bradley (66, two losses), their best win was against Belmont (118) and their worst loss was to Illinois-Chicago (290); Drake's (72) toughest opponent was Mississippi State (42, win) and their worst loss was to Richmond (165).

At this point in the season, there are more common opponents than not (although there were none in their non-conference); as far as strengths, the Redbirds have it only in free-throw percentage, steals and blocked shots.

In an oddity of the new twenty-game conference schedule, this is the first (and only) match-up between ISU and DU this season (coming in conference game nineteen).

The two teams are headed in opposite directions, as Illinois State is currently on a five-game losing streak while Drake is on a nine-game winning streak.

Our Redbirds are still short-handed (essentially riding five players) and worn down. We may encounter a distracted Bulldog squad as it is Senior Night in Des Moines and they could also be looking ahead to their regular season finale match-up at Bradley (they could lose to us and still control their championship path), but that will not be enough.

Spike 76, Reggie 65

Redbird222

The Redbirds complete their final road trip of the season (and play their final true road game) as they venture to The Knapp Center to face the Bulldogs.

ISU is tied for ninth place in conference at 5-13 (10-19 overall) whereas DU is tied for first place at 14-4 (23-6 overall).

The "Teachers" are led in scoring and assists by Darius Burford (12.6, 2.5) and rebounding by Kendall Lewis (7.3), Seneca Knight (11.6), Lewis (10.8) and Malachi Poindexter (10.1) also average in double-digits; the "Drakes" are led in scoring by Tucker DeVries (19.2), rebounding by Darnell Brodie (7.2) and assists by Roman Penn (5.4), Penn (12.6) also averages double-digits. The 'birds generally go eleven and the 'dogs go ten deep on any given night.

According to NET Ranking, Illinois State's (271) toughest opponent was Bradley (66, two losses), their best win was against Belmont (118) and their worst loss was to Illinois-Chicago (290); Drake's (72) toughest opponent was Mississippi State (42, win) and their worst loss was to Richmond (165).

At this point in the season, there are more common opponents than not (although there were none in their non-conference); as far as strengths, the Redbirds have it only in free-throw percentage, steals and blocked shots.

In an oddity of the new twenty-game conference schedule, this is the first (and only) match-up between ISU and DU this season (coming in conference game nineteen).

The two teams are headed in opposite directions, as Illinois State is currently on a five-game losing streak while Drake is on a nine-game winning streak.

Our Redbirds are still short-handed (essentially riding five players) and worn down. We may encounter a distracted Bulldog squad as it is Senior Night in Des Moines and they could also be looking ahead to their regular season finale match-up at Bradley (they could lose to us and still control their championship path), but that will not be enough.

Spike 76, Reggie 65
Thanks for posting these previews throughout the year

Redbird222

This will be a rough one. There is no reason we should win this one except if they completely over look us.

Drake has been playing well and on a great win streak and we have been trending the other way.
They win Wednesday and they play for the regular season title this weekend
Drake has depth, 2 very good offensive players, and they play very good defense.

I will be rooting for the Birds but I am not expecting a win.

Buffett1

Drake a pure success story since 2018/19 season

24 -10

20-14

26-5

25-11

23-6. To date.

ISU86

Was just looking to see if I can safely say I'm watching Sturtz, damn Sturtz, for the last time. Please. He kills us.
Can we safely say how much eligibility any player has left at this point?

fdbird83

Was just looking to see if I can safely say I'm watching Sturtz, damn Sturtz, for the last time. Please. He kills us.
He kills everyone MB. Drake's all time leading rebounder, that's the stat I can hardly believe.

Redbird222

He kills everyone MB. Drake's all time leading rebounder, that's the stat I can hardly believe.
A preferred walk on that called Devries asking if he could still walk on when Darren took over. The whole Valley missed on this one. I wish he grew up in central Illinois vs Iowa.

Phantom

Drake & UNI always have guys that feel like they've been there for 29 years. We'll either win by 2 or lose by 48.

cubird

Hopefully, Coach P will play Ryan against the 2 6'10" guys. Don't want to see our guards get killed on the switch down low giving up height and as much as 75+pounds down low. Ryan should have lots of family from Iowa at the game. Bloomington native Nick Norton is the DOB.

Buffett1

On senior night for Drake they will be honoring their all time Rebounder, Assister, and 3 point shooter in one class.

ISU86

Hopefully, Coach P will play Ryan against the 2 6'10" guys. Don't want to see our guards get killed on the switch down low giving up height and as much as 75+pounds down low. Ryan should have lots of family from Iowa at the game. Bloomington native Nick Norton is the DOB.
Problem with Schmitt (and Sissoko) is they both foul early and often. Ryan could very well be on the bench with two fouls before the first media timeout, Harouna with two by the second.

ScoreboardDotRace

Problem with Schmitt (and Sissoko) is they both foul early and often. Ryan could very well be on the bench with two fouls before the first media timeout, Harouna with two by the second.
Schmitt had 4 fouls in 3 minutes of play recently. Can’t recall who it was against.

Adunk33

Staff member
Has there been any news on if Sandage is going to come back before the season is over?
I haven't heard anything on it but Coach P hasn't really mentioned it in interviews lately. He's talked more about Liam (day to day) and Knight (probable). That either suggests he doesn't expect Sandage back or he's playing a little opossum.

If I was a betting man, I'd have him, at the very least, dressing Sunday. Hometown kid, always wanted to play at ISU, final home game of his college career...

DaveBird10

Has there been any news on if Sandage is going to come back before the season is over?
I haven't heard anything on it but Coach P hasn't really mentioned it in interviews lately. He's talked more about Liam (day to day) and Knight (probable). That either suggests he doesn't expect Sandage back or he's playing a little opossum.

If I was a betting man, I'd have him, at the very least, dressing Sunday. Hometown kid, always wanted to play at ISU, final home game of his college career...
From what I heard on the subject don't expect him back anytime soon. As Adunk says I would dress him Sunday just because but from what I know on it Sandage is done for the year.

cubird

Play both guys until they foul out. What is the point of managing their foul issues?

Top Bottom