Article: Wichita State made the right choice to leave the Valley

saxman210

https://twitter.com/mattnorlander/status/965392456421437442

Some harsh words about our conference and maybe a good way to discuss how we should consider paving the way to a new conference. WHEN, not IF, we become a perennial powerhouse like Wichita State.

bb fan

At least 3 AAC teams, including CIncy are working on getting into a P5 conference. If that happens as they wish, that would change the complexion of Wichita's decision.

DannyCooksey

bb fan said:
At least 3 AAC teams, including CIncy are working on getting into a P5 conference. If that happens as they wish, that would change the complexion of Wichita's decision.

This

Wichita has maxed out. Without football.....only so far they can go.

IMO it was a knee-jerk reaction to leave the Valley without starting a football program. In 5-10 years they very well might be in the same position with the same frustrations they felt last year at this time.

TheTruth

Yes, there are AAC programs working to get into a P5, that's the nature of the business, that's the nature of competition, you attempt to keep moving your program forward...... Well, unless you're an administrator at Illinois State.

V Boy

DannyCooksey said:
bb fan said:

This

IMO it was a knee-jerk reaction to leave the Valley without starting a football program. In 5-10 years they very well might be in the same position with the same frustrations they felt last year at this time.

And if ISU was in their position and a Wichita fan said what you said here....something tells me your side of the story might be a little different.

As long as Marshall is there they will be like Gonzaga, Xavier. If he leaves then we’ll have to see.

I could easily see Wichita joining Big12 in hoops some day. ISUs dream.

DannyCooksey

V Boy said:
DannyCooksey said:
bb fan said:

This

And if ISU was in their position and a Wichita fan said what you said here....something tells me your side of the story might be a little different.

As long as Marshall is there they will be like Gonzaga, Xavier. If he leaves then we’ll have to see.

I could easily see Wichita joining Big12 in hoops some day. ISUs dream.

No football. No Big 12

goredbirds

Sure, it was a good move for the Shockers based on the foreseeable future. As other have implied, If they ever fall out of the top tier of he AAC the travel costs for all of the teams (men's swimming, women's golf, and so forth) will begin to take a toll and fan interest will wane in Wichita. And, the Shockers will never make it into the Big 12, as long as the Big 12 is a Power Conference or anything like it is today. In addition to having no football, WSU is a fine university mind you, but it is certainly not a major university - there is no medical school, no law school, it is not a land grant school, and so forth, nor is it in any way sem-elite like TCU. The Big 12 has no interest in getting a school like WSU in its conference, and the two Kansas schools in particular would have a dim view of admitting WSU. So, WSU should enjoy themselves for the next several years - these are their good old days. Creighton, on the other hand, truly made a long-term step up and I wish them well.

ThisIsTheLineup

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
If they keep up the Big East will eventually take them.

I don’t think the Big East would take a public school. However in a few years, all bets will be off on who accepts who.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpacmel

Jsnhbe1Birds said:

The Big East conference is made up entirely of private schools. The vast majority of them are Catholic based.

How does Wichita State fit with that?

dpdoughbird06

ThisIsTheLineup said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

I don’t think the Big East would take a public school. However in a few years, all bets will be off on who accepts who.

I think Big East might eventually take them to placate Creighton, if nothing else. To me, their skew towards private schools simply correlates with a lack of FBS football programs; I don't see Wichita's public status as a reason to exclude.

Geographical footprint might keep Shocker out, though; not sure Big East will want another school in the flyover states - unless they plan to double up all East Coast teams' trips out west to include both Creighton and Wichita.

crazzymark

Jsnhbe1Birds said:

WSU is a public school, big east is only Catholic schools....and WSU is starting FB back up and already has a 38,000 stadium no in use.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
crazzymark said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

WSU is a public school, big east is only Catholic schools....and WSU is starting FB back up and already has a 38,000 stadium no in use.
They are starting football backup? Did I miss that announcement?

ThisIsTheLineup

isuquinndog said:
crazzymark said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

They are starting football backup? Did I miss that announcement?

You did not. The AD having a WSU football helmet does not mean football is starting back up.

DWRedbird

dpdoughbird06 said:
ThisIsTheLineup said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

I think Big East might eventually take them to placate Creighton, if nothing else. To me, their skew towards private schools simply correlates with a lack of FBS football programs; I don't see Wichita's public status as a reason to exclude.

Geographical footprint might keep Shocker out, though; not sure Big East will want another school in the flyover states - unless they plan to double up all East Coast teams' trips out west to include both Creighton and Wichita.

In my opinion there is 0 chance the Big East takes WSU. I think the Big East won't expand unless Notre Dame is going to join them, and to keep it even, my guess would be they take someone like St. Louis or another private school. They don't need to placate Creighton at this point, Creighton has no bargaining power. Any conference they can't go to the Big 12, Big 10, SEC, ACC or Pac 12 without football, and any other conference is going to be a step down from the one they are in.

WSU's only option for the foreseeable future is the AAC for better or worse. Until they build up their football program a bit, they have no place else to go. If the other good teams leave the conference they are going to be stuck in a similar situation to what they had before (depending on who leaves) and they would need to help that whoever they bring in to replace the leaving teams, is ready to step up nationally.

RedbirdNation24

The American is a better league, to be sure. But I don't think the margin is quite as wide as some people seem to think. There are really 4 serious programs in there, with Cincy, Memphis and UCONN, and now WSU. Yes, they made the right move because they do have 4-5 chances for quality wins every year, where in the valley they would have 2 in a given year (if they're lucky). But I just don't see that league anywhere close to the power 6 conferences overall. They're much closer to the A10 than they are to any of the P6 if you ask me.

V Boy

Temple has a stronger tradition than any Valley school remaining.

And SMU paid its coach in waiting more than every remaining Valley school except maybe UNI.

And they are ranked 7th and 9th in the American Conference.

Redbird222

ThisIsTheLineup said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

They may take Conneticut if they ever decide to drop back to FCS

Redbird222

V Boy said:
Temple has a stronger tradition than any Valley school remaining.

And SMU paid its coach in waiting more than every remaining Valley school except maybe UNI.

And they are ranked 7th and 9th in the American Conference.
Agree with Temple but let's see if Jank can keep the pipeline of players still now that Brown is gone.

redblood

goredbirds said:
Sure, it was a good move for the Shockers based on the foreseeable future. As other have implied, If they ever fall out of the top tier of he AAC the travel costs for all of the teams (men's swimming, women's golf, and so forth) will begin to take a toll and fan interest will wane in Wichita. And, the Shockers will never make it into the Big 12, as long as the Big 12 is a Power Conference or anything like it is today. In addition to having no football, WSU is a fine university mind you, but it is certainly not a major university - there is no medical school, no law school, it is not a land grant school, and so forth, nor is it in any way sem-elite like TCU. The Big 12 has no interest in getting a school like WSU in its conference, and the two Kansas schools in particular would have a dim view of admitting WSU. So, WSU should enjoy themselves for the next several years - these are their good old days. Creighton, on the other hand, truly made a long-term step up and I wish them well.

How many times has Creighton made it to the Big Dance since moving to The Big East? Doesn't seem like that many, I could be wrong though. I wonder if some teams are having thoughts that the P5 dream isn't all it was cracked up to be. I look at the standings of those leagues and have to think that when your school is buried in the lower half of a 14 to 16 team league and your W-L record stinks that fan interest wanes. Especially among students. Attendance and ratings are down from what I read. If the NCAA ever cuts out the "little guy" altogether for the NCAA Tourney, I think the loss of the David vs Goliath element will also cause the loss of a lot of casual fans. And these days with our hyper-extended world, there are more of those than the diehards.

Top Bottom