AEG & FOX SPORTS LAUNCH THE COLLEGE BASKETBALL CROWN: A REIMAGINED POSTSEASON COLLEGE HOOPS TOURNAMENT

ISU86

Well, the NIT (NCAA) held them off for a year.

Only guaranteed bids are for the best two non-dancers in Big East, Big Ten and Big XII (sorry Atlantic Coast and Southeastern, you will have to "earn" your bids).

Metamoron

It is interesting. Fox has a deal with the 3 conferences guaranteed a spot. So if you are an under 500 team in one of those conferences, do you just thumb your nose at the NIT (controlled by NCAA) or send as many to NIT as possible and end up with crappy teams in this tourney. I think this is first step to major conference and TV saying screw you NCAA.

DWRedbird

The best part of this is that this tourney will feature a lot of scrub P6 teams with Fox thinking it will draw big numbers and it will get about the same numbers as the CBI and CIT.

gobirds85

It is interesting. Fox has a deal with the 3 conferences guaranteed a spot. So if you are an under 500 team in one of those conferences, do you just thumb your nose at the NIT (controlled by NCAA) or send as many to NIT as possible and end up with crappy teams in this tourney. I think this is first step to major conference and TV saying screw you NCAA.

The ncaa is floundering right now and I, for one, relish the possibility of their impending predictament. They suck. When does the cbs contract run out for the tournament? Football will lead the exodus and soon will be followed by basketball. It couldn't happen to a more moronic group of individuals.

Adunk33

Staff member
This kills the NIT, which was already on life support. The NIT will now be THE PLACE for MMs to play in the post season.

Remember a few years back when the Birds were going to be in the inaugural "Vegas 16" Tournament, that became the "Vegas 8," then the "Vegas 4," then the "Damn, Muller missed out on an all expenses paid trip to Vegas,"?

I've watched a decent amount of the NIT and the P6 that did play in it didn't seem into it, minus Seton Hall. The MMs seemed like they wanted to be there while the P6 were just going through the motions.

Redbird60451

The best part of this is that this tourney will feature a lot of scrub P6 teams with Fox thinking it will draw big numbers and it will get about the same numbers as the CBI and CIT.
More money, better TV location and the opportunity to play better P6 teams, at least from the 3 Conferences guaranteed to send 2 teams each. I have a feeling the attached conferences will snub the NIT because of the money and tv relationship. Then it will play into everything people want to see. They want to see teams from these smaller conferences beat the big boys. Being in Vegas and the gambling action will make this more attractive then the NIT.

DWRedbird

More money, better TV location and the opportunity to play better P6 teams, at least from the 3 Conferences guaranteed to send 2 teams each. I have a feeling the attached conferences will snub the NIT because of the money and tv relationship. Then it will play into everything people want to see. They want to see teams from these smaller conferences beat the big boys. Being in Vegas and the gambling action will make this more attractive then the NIT.

When the P6 teams used to play in the CBI and CIT they didn't draw numbers of significance, and they stopped going. This will end up as a novelty act just like the others. They'll get sub .500 P6 teams to play and their fans will think it is neat, but everyone outside of teams playing won't give two rat farts in year one. By year 3 of this tourney, P6 teams as a whole will snub it too as it brings nothing to them and delays them getting rid of coaches and hitting the portal.

Redbird60451

When the P6 teams used to play in the CBI and CIT they didn't draw numbers of significance, and they stopped going. This will end up as a novelty act just like the others. They'll get sub .500 P6 teams to play and their fans will think it is neat, but everyone outside of teams playing won't give two rat farts in year one. By year 3 of this tourney, P6 teams as a whole will snub it too as it brings nothing to them and delays them getting rid of coaches and hitting the portal.
Problem is this tournament was created by 3 of the P6. It's to appease the people who backed up the brinks truck to broadcast their games. Yes it might stop after 3 years, but with it being on real TV, it has a better change at drawing money and advertisers. And it being in a destination location, better chance at drawing in casual fans and alumni.

cpacmel

This kills the NIT, which was already on life support. The NIT will now be THE PLACE for MMs to play in the post season.

Remember a few years back when the Birds were going to be in the inaugural "Vegas 16" Tournament, that became the "Vegas 8," then the "Vegas 4," then the "Damn, Muller missed out on an all expenses paid trip to Vegas,"?

I've watched a decent amount of the NIT and the P6 that did play in it didn't seem into it, minus Seton Hall. The MMs seemed like they wanted to be there while the P6 were just going through the motions.

I hope your right about the NIT. I really hated the fact that they striped the regular season champs of an auto big to the NIT.

I don't remember much about Muller and any Vegas tourney. My assumption was always that he had reservations about playing in Vegas at any time.......I will just leave that there. ⛪✝️

SgtHulka

These tournaments will be worthless once NIL deals start regulating games and minutes played. Pitch count…. I mean shot count will be the measuring stick

gobirds85

I hope your right about the NIT. I really hated the fact that they striped the regular season champs of an auto big to the NIT.

I don't remember much about Muller and any Vegas tourney. My assumption was always that he had reservations about playing in Vegas at any time.......I will just leave that there. ⛪✝️

Dan's "holier than thou" routine was old. That facade melted away in Cayman at an early time out when GA was pounding the H E L L out of us. Dan was using words the good Lord might deem really offensive. At that time in the game, we had no offense and the defense was still on the beach. I looked at my wife and just said "oh my". At least we didn't get shut out.

RedbirdSoxFan

Dan's "holier than thou" routine was old. That facade melted away in Cayman at an early time out when GA was pounding the H E L L out of us. Dan was using words the good Lord might deem really offensive. At that time in the game, we had no offense and the defense was still on the beach. I looked at my wife and just said "oh my". At least we didn't get shut out.
I was there. The whole gymnasium could hear him. Can’t remember if it was before all the local school kids that got to come to some games were there.

gobirds85

I was there. The whole gymnasium could hear him. Can’t remember if it was before all the local school kids that got to come to some games were there.

We had plans to go to the second tournament, but my friend's wife tested positive two days before we were to depart, so that trip went by the wayside. The condo owner was really cool and let us rebook at no additional charge, so we went back last April and hung out on the beach. I'm pretty sure we went 0-3 on that last trip, so all things considering, it wasn't all that bad for us. The ladies tourney was stacked. The men's...meh, not so much.

Hamdonger

Oh for the love of pete Dan has a faith but he's not stuffy about it. Those curse outs, which he would publicly talk about at times, were with some purpose and sometimes they were pure pjssed off moments. Like a whole lot of other coaches.

Top Bottom