AD monitors are idiots

Birdswin

Well, well, well - the Athletic Department people who monitor the Student Section have no common sense.

I three kids in college - two at ISU and one at Heartland CC. I have been working on them to get more of their friends to go to a game. Last night at a pre-game festivity at my house - we house 25 young folks, which there were 10 who had not attended an ISU game before. They had been to Redbird Arena for other events over the years, but never a Redbird game. All three of my kids said the "monitors" we yelling at many students over the noodle balloons they passed out. Then began to take them away - while it was not any of the people in my kids group - they did kick out a number of students early in the second half, over the balloons - which, then caused other students to leave.

I can say, several of the students who were attending their first game - told me, if that is how they are going to get treated - forget it.

I am well aware noise-makers are a violation - however, they has to be a PA announcement warning first - and second those balloons being hit together was NOT making a sufficient noise to even warrant a notice from the referees. I will say they definitely heard the boos over that stupid in-bounds switch.

Just sad - zero common sense.

HT59

Birdswin said:
Well, well, well - the Athletic Department people who monitor the Student Section have no common sense.

I three kids in college - two at ISU and one at Heartland CC. I have been working on them to get more of their friends to go to a game. Last night at a pre-game festivity at my house - we house 25 young folks, which there were 10 who had not attended an ISU game before. They had been to Redbird Arena for other events over the years, but never a Redbird game. All three of my kids said the "monitors" we yelling at many students over the noodle balloons they passed out. Then began to take them away - while it was not any of the people in my kids group - they did kick out a number of students early in the second half, over the balloons - which, then caused other students to leave.

I can say, several of the students who were attending their first game - told me, if that is how they are going to get treated - forget it.

I am well aware noise-makers are a violation - however, they has to be a PA announcement warning first - and second those balloons being hit together was NOT making a sufficient noise to even warrant a notice from the referees. I will say they definitely heard the boos over that stupid in-bounds switch.

That is one of many ways ISU retards the growth of the program.

Hamdonger

Birdswin said:

Now this cat has skin in the game! Pregame...25 students?? RightON, man!! I want to come over!!

A great big giant SIGHHHHHHH regarding your tale, meaning THAT is frustrating. :snooty: :naughty:

But you know - a quieter, more opposition-friendly Redbird Arena is probably what we need. :roll:

saxman210

Even when I was a student (2003-2007), the athletic department had a way of taking the fun out of the game. I have a personal opinion as to which athletic department employee is a large part of the problem as she has been there for many years and is much more “old fashioned” than the current basketball climate but that’s just my opinion.

Birdswin

saxman - are you referring to Leanna Bordner?? If so, she is also the genius who hired Jenny Yopp and Barbara Smith - both total and complete disasters for the Women's basketball program.

Hamdonger

saxman210 said:
Even when I was a student (2003-2007), the athletic department had a way of taking the fun out of the game. I have a personal opinion as to which athletic department employee is a large part of the problem as she has been there for many years and is much more “old fashioned” than the current basketball climate but that’s just my opinion.

When she first came on board, the Arena was mostly full and a lot more exciting game atmosphere.

Tpguy

Many years ago when I was healthy enough to have season tickets and attend games, I hung a "redbirdfan.net" banner on the rail in front of the handicap section. It was up for about 20 minutes when the powers to be came and made me take it down. They then informed me I would have to get permission to hang it and pay a fee. At the time I was a very generous booster.

I remain a booster, but don't agree how they treat the fans and students.

dpdoughbird06

A friend and longtime Redbird fan got kicked out of the courtside seats by monitors last night for squatting. He noticed that it's a bad look to have empty courtside seats for an ESPN game, and took action.

Apparently those seats belong to the Athletic Department, he was told. So either they hadn't bothered to fill them, or the people they'd chosen to fill them didn't show or left early.

In any event, you'd expect that we could fill those seats for a nationally televised game. Instead they kicked him out and slid everyone else down a few seats - thus creating new vacant seats closer to the corner. Problem solved!

Birdswin said:
saxman - are you referring to Leanna Bordner?? If so, she is also the genius who hired Jenny Yopp and Barbara Smith - both total and complete disasters for the Women's basketball program.

Isn't she about past due for retirement?

B

BirdGrad2011

Hey at least half the department no longer has the last name Lyons... :whistle:

saxman210

Birdswin said:

No comment.

Sladerunningbear

I propose the student section brings a silent protest next game with red robes and Gibbons masks.

Tired of it!

Spread it!

Redbird

dpdoughbird06 said:
A friend and longtime Redbird fan got kicked out of the courtside seats by monitors last night for squatting. He noticed that it's a bad look to have empty courtside seats for an ESPN game, and took action.

Apparently those seats belong to the Athletic Department, he was told. So either they hadn't bothered to fill them, or the people they'd chosen to fill them didn't show or left early.

In any event, you'd expect that we could fill those seats for a nationally televised game. Instead they kicked him out and slid everyone else down a few seats - thus creating new vacant seats closer to the corner. Problem solved!

Been waiting for this to appear on the board as I watched the entire thing unfold.

First, while your friend may have been told by the monitor that the seat he was sitting in belonged to the Athletic Department, it does not. I know exactly who owns the seat that your friend was sitting in.

Second, they did not slid everyone down. There were two guys on the corner that were being loud and the older couple sitting next to them slid down to move away from them. Later in the game two other people tried to move down into the empty seats and their tickets were checked as well. At that point the older couple got annoyed enough by the two gentlemen on the end and decided to leave.

After your boy was asked to leave the seat, he seemed agitated and he flew up to TT with the rest of your group. You and your boy started to mock ISU on twitter for him getting kicked out of his seat. You yourself acknowledged that he was squatting so why is it ISU's fault? Besides, I thought TT was THE PLACE to be to watch a game? If it is, why did he want to sit court side? In the end, your friend was wrong yet the both of you try to throw blame at ISU for doing their job.

ISU FAN 1

I have my own stories of ISU doing more to drive away fans than attract and retain them. Even little things that seem relatively insignificant can be the difference between a fan choosing to come back or not. I would think ISU would fall all over themselves to make the fan experience for anyone that buys a ticket as great as it can be. It's not like we are selling out with waitlists for season tickets.

gobirds85

Ok, here we go with a "back in my day" post. We had 24 in a group for Redbird tickets back in '83 and you had to camp out for a day or so. We had a schedule as your spot could not be left unattended, and everyone had to pull a 2 hour stint to be part of our group and there were a ton of other Redbirds in line. It was actually pretty damn cool. Back then the games were an event, the badley games were insane. The crowd at Horton rocked. Never went in sober, never left with my voice intact. Dressed up as Versace one game and a bu asst. tried to get me thrown out as I yelled at bu from the sideline during the pregame warmups. Security led me away and I won the dick Versace look alike contest that game. Great times. Back then we had a home court advantage. Not so much anymore. It's sad that ISU doesn't seem to care about it anymore. Let the students be students. Maybe the athletic dept should watch some bball on the telly. Watch Ariz. St and the curtain of distraction. Watch Duke students as they taunt and harass visiting teams.

Make Redbird basketball fun again!!!

ricohill

Maybe for Evansville they should give out bouncing rubber balls....heard Jim Boeheim is still a big fan of those.

HT59

gobirds85 said:
Ok, here we go with a "back in my day" post. We had 24 in a group for Redbird tickets back in '83 and you had to camp out for a day or so. We had a schedule as your spot could not be left unattended, and everyone had to pull a 2 hour stint to be part of our group and there were a ton of other Redbirds in line. It was actually pretty damn cool. Back then the games were an event, the badley games were insane. The crowd at Horton rocked. Never went in sober, never left with my voice intact. Dressed up as Versace one game and a bu asst. tried to get me thrown out as I yelled at bu from the sideline during the pregame warmups. Security led me away and I won the dick Versace look alike contest that game. Great times. Back then we had a home court advantage. Not so much anymore. It's sad that ISU doesn't seem to care about it anymore. Let the students be students. Maybe the athletic dept should watch some bball on the telly. Watch Ariz. St and the curtain of distraction. Watch Duke students as they taunt and harass visiting teams.

Make Redbird basketball fun again!!!

:clap:

Redbirdwarrior

I think it is the duty of every university athletic department to nurture the most important people in the stadium first.

That isn't the donors or the season ticket holders. It isn't the groups of families or alumni. It isn't even the coaches, managers or players. It is the student section. I know, I know "The WSF donors pay all the blah blah blah". Well, great. But the students are dropping 20K+ a year on tuition and housing then extra for the sport passes and, let's not forget, are the NEXT WSF donors. It is the athletic department's job to make those (hopefully) 1000-2000 students feel like they absolutely own the place so the next game they bring in 3000 students instead of 2000 and so on. Unless there is some kind of actual interference in the game or things like racial/sexual slurs coming from the student section, those students should be allowed to do virtually anything within reason in those seats. If that means balloons or giant heads. If that means chants or gestures. If that means doing things to distract shooters, DO IT. Not only basketball, but football as well. I'd LOVE to see a true "Zoo" return to both RBA and Hancock.

"Oh, but then the season ticket holders are going to pull their donations"

Well, if they do they do, but if you don't start making games fun for the students again, you are going to lose those donations anyway when all of the blue hairs become corpses in the next 20 years and those 1500 or so students you told to pipe down or leave decide that they would rather not come back to ISU after they graduate because bird games weren't that fun. When the WSF stuff comes, they will throw it away. You think there won't be 6 or 7 multi millionaires that are in that group of students today? You'd be wrong. And you need to start selling them NOW.

ricohill

Redbirdwarrior said:
I think it is the duty of every university athletic department to nurture the most important people in the stadium first.

That isn't the donors or the season ticket holders. It isn't the groups of families or alumni. It isn't even the coaches, managers or players. It is the student section. I know, I know "The WSF donors pay all the blah blah blah". Well, great. But the students are dropping 20K+ a year on tuition and housing then extra for the sport passes and, let's not forget, are the NEXT WSF donors. It is the athletic department's job to make those (hopefully) 1000-2000 students feel like they absolutely own the place so the next game they bring in 3000 students instead of 2000 and so on. Unless there is some kind of actual interference in the game or things like racial/sexual slurs coming from the student section, those students should be allowed to do virtually anything within reason in those seats. If that means balloons or giant heads. If that means chants or gestures. If that means doing things to distract shooters, DO IT. Not only basketball, but football as well. I'd LOVE to see a true "Zoo" return to both RBA and Hancock.

"Oh, but then the season ticket holders are going to pull their donations"

Well, if they do they do, but if you don't start making games fun for the students again, you are going to lose those donations anyway when all of the blue hairs become corpses in the next 20 years and those 1500 or so students you told to pipe down or leave decide that they would rather not come back to ISU after they graduate because bird games weren't that fun. When the WSF stuff comes, they will throw it away. You think there won't be 6 or 7 multi millionaires that are in that group of students today? You'd be wrong. And you need to start selling them NOW.

That and Redbird Arena wouldn't be there if the students didn't pay for it.

Top Bottom