A letter from AD Beggs on NIL

Phantom

And there it is. Knew this was coming sooner, rather than later. I get it...but it still feels weird to officially be in the buy-a-season era.

I do like Dr. Beggs' candor here though:
If our athletic programs want to remain competitive, we need support for NIL funds. The days of a school's name being enough to land a recruit are long gone. I know NIL may be new and different to many of you, but it isn't going away and we need to attack this head on!

GOP_Redbird

And there it is. Knew this was coming sooner, rather than later. I get it...but it still feels weird to officially be in the buy-a-season era.

I do like Dr. Beggs' candor here though:
So she reads the board?

Rollbirds5

Reggie Redbird

Can you donate directly to a certain sport or does it have to get divvied up if you donate to our collective?
That seems to be an important question for Beggs, Kabbes, and Brennan White. This dept’s revenue has largely run on student fees, university funds, and MBB-generated revenue.

ChiRedbirdfan

Dr Beggs:
I want to let you know that I agree with you that the athletic landscape has changed dramatically. Besides asking for more donations to support NIL will ISU Athletics being doing anything differently to put our students and coaches in the best situation for success given the changed environment? It seems that in this day and age we need to be laser focused esp since we have all the new challenges, NIL/PORTAl/CONF REALIGNMENT…etc. I believe we would be much better off having fewer sports to fund, fewer students to pay, fewer facilities to build and esp maintain. Please note the following of varsity sports offered by our conf and local peers:

ISU 19
Valpo 19
Uic 18
Drake 18
Evansville 18
Belmont 17
NIU 17
MO State 17
SIU 16
NORTH Dakota state 16
UNI 15
InSU 15
Bradley 15
Murray St 15

As you can see we offer the most varsity sports while also offering football…our peers that play football offer anywhere from 2 to 4 sports less which makes economic sense. It seems like it would be hard to be the best when trying to do too much and pay for too many sports. How about we drop to 15 or 16 sports and apply all our resources to those sports and further have less facilities to build/maintain? Lastly our Nil dollars would be better off too if they were concentrated.

Over the past 5 years hundreds and hundreds of varsity sports have been eliminated by all types and size of universities (Ivy, P5, privates, public’s, mid majors, ..etc). Our only change seems to be asking for more donations to support the same approach which has not been working too well esp where it matters most.

Looking for a reason to donate but it is hard to justify given ISU ATHLETIC’s strategy/offerings and poor overall track record esp with revenue /expense management (more to come on that topic)

I will be asking more questions in subsequent posts but look forward to your (or anyone in the know) response.

Respectfully

Last edited:

RedbirdSoxFan

Dr Beggs:
I want to let you know that I agree with you that the athletic landscape has changed dramatically. Besides asking for my donations will ISU Athletics being doing anything differently to put our students and coaches in the best situation for success given the changed environment? It seems that in this day and age we need to be laser focused esp since we have all the new challenges, NIL/PORTAl/CONF REALIGNMENT…etc. I believe we would be much better off having fewer sports to fund, fewer students to pay, fewer facilities to build and esp maintain. Please note the following of varsity sports offered by our conf and local peers:

ISU 19
Valpo 19
Uic 18
Drake 18
Evansville 18
NIU 17
MO State 17
SIU 16
NORTH Dakota state 16
UNI 15
InSU 15
Bradley 15
Murray St 15

As you can see we offer the most varsity sports while also offering football…our peers that play football offer anywhere from 2 to 4 sports less which makes economic sense. It seems like it would be hard to be the best when trying to do too much and pay for too many sports. How about we drop to 15 or 16 sports and apply all our resources to those sports and further have less facilities to build/maintain? Lastly our Nil dollars would be better off too if they were concentrated.

Over the past 5 years hundreds and hundreds of varsity sports have been eliminated by all types and size of universities (Ivy, P5, privates, public’s, mid majors, ..etc). Our only change seems to be asking for more donations to support the same approach which has not been working too well esp where it matters most.

Looking for a reason to donate but it is hard to justify given ISU ATHLETIC’s strategy/offerings and poor overall track record esp with revenue /expense management (more to come on that topic)

I will be asking more questions in subsequent posts but look forward to your (or anyone in the know) response.

Respectfully
Did NIU replace Belmont?

cpacmel

Dr Beggs:
I want to let you know that I agree with you that the athletic landscape has changed dramatically. Besides asking for more donations to support NIL will ISU Athletics being doing anything differently to put our students and coaches in the best situation for success given the changed environment? It seems that in this day and age we need to be laser focused esp since we have all the new challenges, NIL/PORTAl/CONF REALIGNMENT…etc. I believe we would be much better off having fewer sports to fund, fewer students to pay, fewer facilities to build and esp maintain. Please note the following of varsity sports offered by our conf and local peers:

ISU 19
Valpo 19
Uic 18
Drake 18
Evansville 18
Belmont 17
NIU 17
MO State 17
SIU 16
NORTH Dakota state 16
UNI 15
InSU 15
Bradley 15
Murray St 15

Respectfully

Will be interesting when and what she responds to your above email. Keep us posted.

WoodlandWarrior

Dr Beggs:

ISU 19
Valpo 19
Uic 18
Drake 18
Evansville 18
Belmont 17
NIU 17
MO State 17
SIU 16
NORTH Dakota state 16
UNI 15
InSU 15
Bradley 15
Murray St 15

Respectfully
This is excellent, informative, revealing, and persuasive.

ChiRedbirdfan

Will be interesting when and what she responds to your above email. Keep us posted.
after getting some feedback here on my various posts I am going to send her a consolidated email. I will share any response. The expenses of ISU athletics seems so challenged compared to peer universities and it would be great to get someinformation.

B

BirdGrad2011

Dr Beggs:

ISU 19
Valpo 19
Uic 18
Drake 18
Evansville 18
Belmont 17
NIU 17
MO State 17
SIU 16
NORTH Dakota state 16
UNI 15
InSU 15
Bradley 15
Murray St 15

Respectfully
I understand most of your comparison, but I don’t think comparing to small private schools (even if in same conference) makes sense.

ChiRedbirdfan

I understand most of your comparison, but I don’t think comparing to small private schools (even if in same conference) makes sense.
Agree with your perspective. I thought I would throw all conf teams in there as it shows that, even without the heavy headcount/expensive varsity sport of football, the privates still do not offer as much or more than the number of varsity sports that ISU offers. Depending on which varsity sports you compare football to I would bet that football is equal or greater than the expenses associated with 4 or 5 other collegiate varsity sports.

Hamdonger

Hopefully none of the student-athletes from the sports you want to cut read it.
I was in an admin office when the news came down that ISU was cutting men's wrestling and men's soccer due to TitleIX. Very very somber day&week with tears shed from some surprising people. These were GOOD programs.

I get where ChiRedbirdfan is coming from, I do. A lot of good hard working kids (many excellent students, btw) who are in non revenue sports...but they are still chasin' after it. I would NOT want to be the one who makes that call, looks those kids in the eye, and breaks their hearts.

At least, if that comes to pass...The Prez, AD, and BOT ought to be there to look them in the eye.

Top Bottom