50th rated FB schedule in FCS

crazzymark

Need to get rid of these games against Eastern and Western and division 2 schools and start getting good teams coming in and improve the strength of schedule.

fourthandshort

It's 41st after today's game. And the simple issue was losing Oklahoma game and replacing with Lindenwood, plus MVFC expansion. Most years we are top 10 to 15.

No need to over react to an anomaly .. or worst SOS ever under Spack, and it's still in the upper one third percentile.

fourthandshort

Yeah- Mark, I can’t believe I’m agreeing with you, but there is no value in keeping two schools that may not actually exist in ten years on the schedule. The weird fascination with the rivalry with EIU is actually why I gave up my season tickets. It’s the perfect microcosm of why we are where we are.
main advantage is this ... very travel budget friendly .. can't ignore this aspect.

That said, I would agree the EIU H/H doesn't need to be every year .. start to spread that one out, regardless of who we replace them with. I don't mind the idea of adding some WIU H/H games. I do think that since we want to keep FBS road games, we still have to offset that with our own FCS patsy buy game, just to even up our home/away game slate each year. But as I and others have said, I would love to start splicing in some Big Sky H/H games .. using the 12 game season to help make it happen. Which would mean wed have to have a break in a EIU/WIU game during an 11 game season. So that would give us 2 Big Sky games every 4 years. And ensure we're not sabotaging our playoff chances having to play in the MVFC.

We had 8 MVFC teams in the playoff hunt at different points in season this year. We all lamented how weak our SOS was all season and how this might kill our playoff chances, unless we were 8-3 .. but our SOS was still stronger than 2/3rds (45th of 128) of the FCS teams and many of the playoff teams. But this is the league we play in .. the MVFC .. and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited:

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
????? Last I looked ISU athletics was FCS football and one of the better funded athletic departments at the FCS level. Quinn...What am i missing?
It takes money to fly a full football team and equipment out to Northern Arizona, or Eastern Washington or whatever Big Sky team every one wants to do a H/H with. That's what I mean. There's a reason we play EIU and other midwest team. It's financially viable.

I'm sure spack would love to go out west or to Delaware or wherever the good FCS schools are. But it takes money. Well funded or not, it's more money than we spend on travel now. Plus we have to go to the Dakota's every year and Ohio every few years.

BJJ guy

Spack actually talked about this on his show. It's why the Iowa and Wisconsin games are so important. He actually said that the Oklahoma game in a couple years is less than ideal because of the travel costs.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Spack actually talked about this on his show. It's why the Iowa and Wisconsin games are so important. He actually said that the Oklahoma game in a couple years is less than ideal because of the travel costs.
At least we get money for doing that, but yeah we are cutting into our own profits by having to go to Oklahoma. Its almost 10 hours by car to Norman, OK. They will probably fly. Oh and then they have to drive the equipment truck out there.

fourthandshort

It takes money to fly a full football team and equipment out to Northern Arizona, or Eastern Washington or whatever Big Sky team every one wants to do a H/H with. That's what I mean. There's a reason we play EIU and other midwest team. It's financially viable.

I'm sure spack would love to go out west or to Delaware or wherever the good FCS schools are. But it takes money. Well funded or not, it's more money than we spend on travel now. Plus we have to go to the Dakota's every year and Ohio every few years.
Yep, my thought is to only do Big Sky option 2 of 4 years .. so it would only require extra travel budget 1 of 4 years.

But I obviously recognize the budget friendly aspect to the EIU and maybe even WIU as nonconf options.

RedbirdSoxFan

Yep, my thought is to only do Big Sky option 2 of 4 years .. so it would only require extra travel budget 1 of 4 years.

But I obviously recognize the budget friendly aspect to the EIU and maybe even WIU as nonconf options.
AND the Eastern & Western games should give the Redbirds easy wins to go towards the (7) needed to make playoffs.

crazzymark

I all kidding and poking aside, I do think that NIU, Ball St and Kent St would be open to a h/h . They are all having financial problems as well. Close and a great game.

fourthandshort

AND the Eastern & Western games should give the Redbirds easy wins to go towards the (7) needed to make playoffs.
100% agreed, as long as we play in the MVFC as it stands today. And we always try to schedule an FBS .. usually a good to very good P5, but ok with an occasional weak P5 or a G5. That ratio could be 3 or 4 good FBS to 1 or 2 mediocre-weak FBS .. why this rationale ??

You know what's coming ....

1700606765968.png

Top Bottom