2021 Season Review

cubird

Can't wait for comments! Think Dan was fairly on point with the review. Some will say excuses and some will say it is what it is😏

ricohill

Wouldn’t be a Muller article without sneaking in a we will still be young quote....

“But I do like our chances to be a really good competitive team next year that will continue to get better because we'll be still somewhat young.”

Birdfriend72

Yeah, the only way to get to the tournament is the 3 days in March!

Tell that to drake! That’s Lyons Syndrome!

Dan was asked:

Question for Dan: What is your message to ISU fans who wonder why this program hasn't been to NCAA Tournament since you were a player (in 1998) and can you end that drought next year or in the near future?

Answer: Muller: We certainly hope to be able to end it. In a lot of ways it comes down to three days in March (at the MVC Tournament). We've been to the last day a few times. We haven't had the seasons we wanted these past two years. But I do like our chances to be a really good competitive team next year that will continue to get better because we'll be still somewhat young.

If you would have told me nine years ago (when hired) we wouldn't have made the tournament, I would have told you you're crazy. Again, no one wants it more than I do, but we haven't gotten it done yet. Every year we go into with the expectations of having a chance to do that. That will be no different next year.

ISU86

“Yeah, the only way to get to the tournament is the 3 days in March!”
Absolutely hate that mindset, it just reeks of the small time thinking that has permeated this athletic dept for so long.
"In a lot of ways it comes down to three days in March" is not “Yeah, the only way to get to the tournament is the 3 days in March!
a little liberal in your rephrase, but hey ... as long as you get to make your point

Redbirds18

"We certainly hope to be able to end it. In a lot of ways it comes down to three days in March (at the MVC Tournament). We've been to the last day a few times. We haven't had the seasons we wanted these past two years. But I do like our chances to be a really good competitive team next year that will continue to get better because we'll be still somewhat young".

“We certainly hope to be able to end it. We won't be good enough for an at large, so it comes down to having three lucky days in March (at the MVC Tournament). We've been to the last day a few times and my coaching ultimately fails us when it matters most. We haven't had the seasons we wanted these past two years. But I do like our chances to still be able to field a young team next year, despite the inevitable high amount of new players we will have."

Once you take the polish off the turd it sounds a little different

Chicagobirdfan

“Yeah, the only way to get to the tournament is the 3 days in March!”
Absolutely hate that mindset, it just reeks of the small time thinking that has permeated this athletic dept for so long.
Why would he think any different? They should have been a shoe in for tournament Paris’ senior year and got left out. I agree with him that ultimately the only way to assure an MVC team gets into the tournament is to win Sunday at the arch or go undefeated in non conference combined with a big win total in mvc play.

SgtHulka

Why would he think any different? They should have been a shoe in for tournament Paris’ senior year and got left out. I agree with him that ultimately the only way to assure an MVC team gets into the tournament is to win Sunday at the arch or go undefeated in non conference combined with a big win total in mvc play.
that's the only sure way. Would love to see the conference get to the point where we expect multiple bids yearly, but the facts are the facts. This is more often a 1 bid league, than not. Probably a 5% chance of getting in as an at large

Birdfriend72

Or you could build a reputation for your program. You have a great season in 2017, and follow it up with 2-.500 seasons, and 2-terrible seasons! That’s makes some noise for sure! Sounds like excuses.

ricohill

Under Muller we are 6-23 against regular season Top 100 non-conference teams. 20.68 winning percentage.

Top 100 non-conference wins:
2013- Dayton - 67
2014- Dayton - 42
San Fran - 88
2015- Old Dominion - 70
2018- South Carolina - 80
2019- BYU - 86

I love all the conspiracy theories that it’s rigged against us getting an at-large. The reason we can’t get an at-large bid is we never beat anyone good in our non-conference schedule.

I also enjoyed where Muller makes it sound like they have no chance against Loyola next year.
“If you tell me everybody on Loyola's team is coming back, they're a Top-20 team.”

Why isn’t ISU a top 20 team?

Plus, I hope he misspoke when he said he wants to get back to winning like 2 1/2 years ago when they were picked first and finished 7th. I suppose compared to where we are at those would be the good old days for Dan.

CaliRdBrd

Shoe-in??
A relatively weak schedule, combined with having your ass handed to you, on National TV, by 40 points says “hold my beer”.

CaliRdBrd

Under Muller we are 6-23 against regular season Top 100 non-conference teams. 20.68 winning percentage.

Top 100 non-conference wins:
2013- Dayton - 67
2014- Dayton - 42
San Fran - 88
2015- Old Dominion - 70
2018- South Carolina - 80
2019- BYU - 86

I love all the conspiracy theories that it’s rigged against us getting an at-large. The reason we can’t get an at-large bid is we never beat anyone good in our non-conference schedule.

I also enjoyed where Muller makes it sound like they have no chance against Loyola next year.
“If you tell me everybody on Loyola's team is coming back, they're a Top-20 team.”

Why isn’t ISU a top 20 team?

Plus, I hope he misspoke when he said he wants to get back to winning like 2 1/2 years ago when they were picked first and finished 7th. I suppose compared to where we are at those would be the good old days for Dan.
This is the most telling (and startling) post of the year.

Bird Friend

I purposely ignored posting this article, because . . . well, you know . . .

jamminjamarsmiley

I didn’t think I could have much less respect for Dan as a coach, however the things he said in this article made me want to puke. We have such a losing mindset. I love that he threw in “we will be relatively young next year” JESUS CHRIST, how can any of you take this guy serious?????

Birdfriend72

Why would he think any different? They should have been a shoe in for tournament Paris’ senior year and got left out. I agree with him that ultimately the only way to assure an MVC team gets into the tournament is to win Sunday at the arch or go undefeated in non conference combined with a big win total in mvc
I purposely ignored posting this article, because . . . well, you know . . .
Yeah, because Dan’s own words sounds like he is a defeated man. Where was the rah rah that he was spouting when he took the job?

Birdfriend72

I didn’t think I could have much less respect for Dan as a coach, however the things he said in this article made me want to puke. We have such a losing mindset. I love that he threw in “we will be relatively young next year” JESUS CHRIST, how can any of you take this guy serious?????
That’s so he can move on to year 11!

Top Bottom