2020 Shrine Bowl

Virginia Redbird

A couple articles I stumbled across looking to see how the Redbirds at the Shrine Bowl are doing. It appears that Mr. Robinson is making an impression on some folks. Both articles mentioned his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. I don't recall Robinson being used all that much as a receiver during his ISU career but maybe he should have been. I hope both ISU players at the game have a great performance.

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/ContentGallery/2020-EastWest-Shrine-Game-10-Prospects-to-watch-for-Chicago-Bears-142186098/#142186098_8

https://1043thefan.com/2085704/shrine-bowl-practice-report-day-one-produces-many-standouts/?

MadBird

According to his ISU bio, JRob has 58 career receptions for 428 yards and 2 TDs. In 46 games. So, just over one reception per game. Hard to argue he shouldn't have gotten more. Altho, he gained 4444 yards rushing, so, you know, hand him the ball again!

fourthandshort

Nice find .. those were reports by a Bear Reporter and Broncos Reporter ... Robinson clearly had a very good day because it looks like he was the only RB talked about by these 2 reporters.

StLRedbird

fourthandshort said:
Nice find .. those were reports by a Bear Reporter and Broncos Reporter ... Robinson clearly had a very good day because it looks like he was the only RB talked about by these 2 reporters.
Wouldn't it be cool if JR landed on the Bears?

DannyCooksey

JR is having a good week by all accounts and will be invited to the combine. Excited to watch the game tomorrow.

he has a chance to move up some boards over the next 3 months.

DannyCooksey

StLRedbird said:
fourthandshort said:
Wouldn't it be cool if JR landed on the Bears?

I love the Bears but i would hate this for JR. Nagy has no clue wtf he's doing in the run game. i'd love to see him get drafted by SF or Tenn or some other team that actually understands the value of the run game.

fourthandshort

DannyCooksey said:
JR is having a good week by all accounts and will be invited to the combine. Excited to watch the game tomorrow.

I think NFL draft scout site had him as 5th RB selected in draft. Though RBs dont go nearly as high as they used too in today's NFL game.

Agree with DannyC on Nagy and run game .. if Nagy couldn't figure out how to use Jordan Howard, he will not know how to use Robinson .. both are 225 lbs backs that rely on size, power, and good agility for their size.

And current started David Montgomery is known as guy who is hard to tackle and he looks quicker than Robinson ... yet he struggles in Bears offensewith like 3.4 ypc I think.

Bears would not seem to be a good fit.

StLRedbird

fourthandshort said:
DannyCooksey said:

I think NFL draft scout site had him as 5th RB selected in draft. Though RBs dont go nearly as high as they used too in today's NFL game.

Agree with DannyC on Nagy and run game .. if Nagy couldn't figure out how to use Jordan Howard, he will not know how to use Robinson .. both are 225 lbs backs that rely on size, power, and good agility for their size.

And current started David Montgomery is known as guy who is hard to tackle and he looks quicker than Robinson ... yet he struggles in Bears offensewith like 3.4 ypc I think.

Bears would not seem to be a good fit.
Exposed! I haven't watched an entire NFL game for years. St. Louis has had a couple bad experiences with that league.

fourthandshort

East-West Shrine Bowl is today at 2pm CST .. its on the NFL network.

God luck to RB Robinson and Safety Kirk !!!

Adunk33

Staff member
James just scored a 60 yard TD. Over 120 yards from scrimmage today.

Adunk33

Staff member
Luther Kirk named Defensive Player of the Game. And in the post game, LaDainain Tomlinson names James his most outstanding player.

normalbird

Hard to overstate how big this was for ISU. Our lil ole FCS school had the most outstanding defensive and offensive player. Says a lot about our HC and his staff, our recruiting and our culture. I think ISU got more air time than any other program. Wow!!

fourthandshort

Hope this works .. here is Robinson 63 yd run in Q4 to put the West up, though East won.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001097485/James-Robinson-West-teammates-row-the-boat-after-63-YARD-TD

Here is his 44 yd catch and run

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001097475/Robinson-reverses-field-for-huge-gain-on-electric-catch-and-run

TIMMY

Would sure like to see him close in on a 4.6 40 and some other good numbers. 20 reps would be nice.

Phantom

normalbird said:
Hard to overstate how big this was for ISU. Our lil ole FCS school had the most outstanding defensive and offensive player. Says a lot about our HC and his staff, our recruiting and our culture. I think ISU got more air time than any other program. Wow!!

This.

Tremendous job all season by JR and Captain Kirk...but then to cap it off with those performances against the nation's best is highly impressive.

Phantom

TIMMY said:
Would sure like to see him close in on a 4.6 40 and some other good numbers. 20 reps would be nice.

This is why I rarely put stock in combine performance. High #'s may open some eyes, but JR is a perfect example of a guy who's game speed & strength are always better than his measurables. Hopefully yesterday's performance will force the scouts to look at a of tape, and that's what they'll see.