2020 NFL Combine

ISUBU

3 invited from Rhode Island, which was 2-10 last year.

MadBird

Another noteworthy invitee - OL Ben Bartch, from Division III St. John's in Minnesota. Guy is from Oregon, 6'7 300+ lbs., moved from TE after his Soph. year, so has only played tackle for two seasons. Had a very good week of practice at the Senior Bowl, but got hurt and couldn't play in the game.

fourthandshort

ISUBU said:
3 invited from Rhode Island, which was 2-10 last year.

2 WRs and OL ... it is very tough to be a good WR on a bad team. Very hard to get noticed, so this is very impressive.

cpacmel

Happy for James. Really think Kirk deserved an invite too.

DannyCooksey

Big day for James Robinson today. Running backs do the on-field workouts.

hoping for a sub 4.6 40 time and a very good 3 cone time.

fourthandshort

Nice start with bench, shows his upper body strength early.

Early reports that he could be drafted in rounds 3-5 appear to have been optimistic. I think he's looking at late round pick as of right now. I assume he needs a decent 40 (sub 4.6) and shuttle (sub 4.3) to get more interest and move up.

Here is the NFL draft analysis of James:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-robinson?id=3219524f-4252-1367-7b21-7f5516b913bf

Overview
Reliable runner with good feel for run-lane development but just average burst. Robinson's feet, finesse and vision allow to probe from gap to gap against conference competition, but tighter NFL running lanes mean he'll need to be more physical and more urgent to succeed between the tackles. The college production is unlikely to translate into the pros, but he's well-rounded enough to compete for a back-end roster spot if he runs to his size and can play on special teams.

Strengths
Gobbled up yardage and touchdowns as three-year starter
Coaches praise his low-maintenance, blue-collar work ethic
Effective jump step eludes early penetrators
Anticipates run-lane development
Patience and vision to find daylight near end zone
Rides behind lead blocks, cutting off of them at last second
Balances through contact on an angle
Excellent recognition to scan and find blitz
Will step up and lay it down in pass pro

Weaknesses
Girthy body type as a running back
More than 500 carries under his belt in just the last two years
Lacks acceleration to free himself as outside runner
Interior moves are fluid but not fast
Missing quick-twitch to stack moves without tacklers bearing down
Needs to run with better interior decisiveness as a pro
Runs into contact and not through it ... say what ?????
Inclined to bounce it wide
Has to run with great play quickness and urgency

RedbirdSoxFan

DannyCooksey said:
Big day for James Robinson today. Running backs do the on-field workouts.

hoping for a sub 4.6 40 time and a very good 3 cone time.

1st run: 4.64
2nd run: 4.68

fourthandshort

The forty will hurt him, it was pretty far down the rankings.

But he finished 2nd in vertical (40"), tied for 3rd in bench (24) and 20 yd shuttle (4.19), a close 5th in 3 cone with big dropoff after him, tied for 5th in broad jump.

And the only event he skipped, along with every other RB was the 60 yard shuttle. Many RBs skipped things like 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle .. for a reason . they didn't want to post what was likely going to be a weak time.

Thats a very good day (other than forty) for a big strong RB .. he showed his agility and his power ... just not any breakaway speed, which everyone knew. FYI, just noticed he got his weight down to 219 for this combine.

fourthandshort

here's James Robinson's day ... he outdid Wisconsin stud RB Jonathon Taylor in every event except forty (by a lot) and 3 cone (barely)

40 Yard Dash
4.64 vs 4.39
SECONDS

Bench Press
24 vs 17
REPS

Vertical Jump
40.0 vs 36
INCHES

Broad Jump
125.0 vs 123
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
7.03 vs 7.01
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle
4.19 vs 4.24
SECONDS

60 Yd Shuttle
-- nobody ran this
SECONDS

fourthandshort

fourthandshort said:
The forty will hurt him, it was pretty far down the rankings.

But he finished 2nd in vertical (40"), tied for 3rd in bench (24) and 20 yd shuttle (4.19), a close 5th in 3 cone with big dropoff after him, tied for 5th in broad jump.

And the only event he skipped, along with every other RB was the 60 yard shuttle. Many RBs skipped things like 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle .. for a reason . they didn't want to post what was likely going to be a weak time.

Thats a very good day (other than forty) for a big strong RB .. he showed his agility and his power ... just not any breakaway speed, which everyone knew. FYI, just noticed he got his weight down to 219 for this combine.

for perspective on Robinsons day compared to WR group

- for his 4.19 20 yd shuttle, he was not only 3rd among RBs but he would also have finished 3rd among WRs.

- for his 7.03 3-cone run, he was a close 5th among RBs and would have been a close 7th among WRs.

- his bench would have 1st and his vertical would have been a very close 2nd

Only the forty hurt him yesterday .. very impressive day otherwise. The dude is a better athlete than I would have guessed given what a powerful runner he is.

fourthandshort

so I went back and looked at Coprich combine results from 2016 ... it is the 3rd number below .. so 2018 RBs Robinson and Jonathon Taylor, then added 2016 Coprich. Very surprised how much better Robinson did than Coprich in every event, except forty
fourthandshort said:
here's James Robinson's day ... he outdid Wisconsin stud RB Jonathon Taylor in every event except forty (by a lot) and 3 cone (barely)

40 Yard Dash
4.64 vs 4.39 vs 4.47
SECONDS

Bench Press
24 vs 17 vs 17
REPS

Vertical Jump
40.0 vs 36 vs 34
INCHES

Broad Jump
125.0 vs 123 vs 112
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
7.03 vs 7.01 vs 7.26
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle
4.19 vs 4.24 vs 4.58 .. Coprich was way quicker than this, so had to be a bad day or just didn't prepare
SECONDS

60 Yd Shuttle
-- nobody ran this .. Coprich ran 12.09
SECONDS

StLRedbird

fourthandshort said:
so I went back and looked at Coprich combine results from 2016 ... it is the 3rd number below .. so 2018 RBs Robinson and Jonathon Taylor, then added 2016 Coprich. Very surprised how much better Robinson did than Coprich in every event, except forty
Yeah, sure didn't see that coming.

cpacmel

4th probably has all of this above

https://twitter.com/samherderfcs/status/1233607492116021248?s=21

DannyCooksey

I’m certain coaches and scouts knew he wasn’t going to burn the track in the 40. The other numbers are really good. Combine that with high character marks and dominant tape and I’m certain he helped himself.

The 3 cone, bench and vertical were more important than the 40 for the style of runner he is.

He will have a chance or chances to improve the 40 time if he wants to. Maybe he can shave some time off?

Regardless I think this was a good week and he only helped himself.

Good on you JR!!!

Whoever gets JR is getting a really good football player.

fourthandshort

fourthandshort said:
fourthandshort said:

40 Yard Dash
4.64 vs 4.39 vs 4.47
SECONDS

Bench Press
24 vs 17 vs 17
REPS

Vertical Jump
40.0 vs 36 vs 34
INCHES

Broad Jump
125.0 vs 123 vs 112
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
7.03 vs 7.01 vs 7.26
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle
4.19 vs 4.24 vs 4.58 .. Coprich was way quicker than this, so had to be a bad day or just didn't prepare
SECONDS

60 Yd Shuttle
-- nobody ran this .. Coprich ran 12.09
SECONDS

i'm sure you all figured this out already, but meant to say 2020 RBs Robinson and Taylor.

And Robinson was not 8th in broad jump per Herder, he was tied for 5th with 4 other RBs .. so he showed up 8th on list .. but he was T-5th.

All impressive numbers, ecept for the forty. But the number that blows me away the most is his 40" Vertical .. watching him run and hit, and knowing how big he played at, I could not have imagined 40" vertical. The numbers that also surprised me some, and helped him most were his 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle. The power & explosion is obvious, but the agility shown 3 cone and shuttle will help some scouts get over his forty. That and scouts already like his vision ansd patience for most part.

Back to his forty ... I would love to see his 10 and 20 splits during his forty. That could also help them look past his forty.

Just a very impressive day for James Robinson .. better than I expected for most part.

Top Bottom