2019 Playoffs

Virginia Redbird

I have no interest in the projected brackets. We will find out soon now the actual pairings for the playoffs but I think we can assume at this point that regardless of who the Redbirds are matched with it will be tough sledding. Timmy made a great point on another topic string of the emotion of a team and the psychological let down of losing their starting QB with, we now fully understand, no capable replacement on the roster. The players and coaches all know they have no backup at QB that is game ready. We can argue whether Baltz or Jefferson should start but yesterday's game clearly showed neither is ready to take charge, particularly in a playoff situation.
The question now becomes does this team get its mental game ready for a playoff game. I will be watching the playoff game but expecting really nothing on the offensive side of the ball. After watching the film of yesterday's game I fully expect opposing teams will put at least 9 players in the box and show a total lack of attention to the Redbird passing game. The O-line did not play well yesterday but how do you block that many defensive players. Coming out in the obligatory two tight end set with a fullback and tailback does not help. Do you truly believe anyone on the defense would even consider the Birds will pass from that formation? Even the announcer for the Penguins (a former YSU center) mentioned that during the broadcast. Still what else is the coaching staff going to do? They do not have a game ready QB.
I personally would not waste the Red Shirt year for Baltz. He needs work...lots of work and don't waste his RS on this coming game. After yesterday I truly think Jefferson should start this game and use his running ability to help loosen up the defense. Baltz may be the better thrower in practice but that has not translated to the games. In 1.5 games he has completed only one pass to a Redbird. More passes have been caught by other teams. Save his redshirt, let him mature and go with Jefferson.
My two cents. I just can't see wasting an entire redshirt year for one game. If Baltz showed more like some other true Freshmen and RS freshmen around the FCS I would say play him. The reality is he is not ready or close to ready. He is very likely still the starting QB down the road for the Redbirds but he is definitely a work in progress. If the Birds win the first playoff game this is great but frankly does anyone on this board or anyone that is even a casual observer of Redbird football believe this team can make a playoff run with Brady at QB? I am not down on the team or Spack, just going by what I saw on the field yesterday.
I am going out to buy a bottle of Four Roses Bourbon for the playoff game. I am anticipating I may be needing a sedative to get through another Redbird offensive performance.

Birdswin

Confirmed - Birds will play SEMO - but, I believe the game is at SEMO

Loyl2u

Actually aren’t first round games based upon host bids? If so, ISU’s bid for first round cost them a home playoff game but it was a wise $ decision that was likely based upon show of support or lack there of by number of season ticket holders who’d signed up for playoff tickets( after the Missouri State Game).

fdbird83

SEMO's starting QB played at NIU for a couple years. H e was the starting QB in a win at Nebraska.

drewherridge1

We are last four in.
459cb9d1c4b36c7fa055f3db36358a53.jpg

ricohill

You know, I understand with Brady getting hurt we probably have a small chance of winning and no one shows up to playoff games at ISU, but still disappointed we didn’t put forth a winning bid to host.

We wasted a ton of money to play in the stupid CBI for a terrible basketball team a few years ago. These kids put in a ton of time and effort. The least the University could do is spend some money to give them the experience of a home playoff game. You know you are small time when you let SEMO our bid you.

StLRedbird

ricohill said:
You know, I understand with Brady getting hurt we probably have a small chance of winning and no one shows up to playoff games at ISU, but still disappointed we didn’t put forth a winning bid to host.

We wasted a ton of money to play in the stupid CBI for a terrible basketball team a few years ago. These kids put in a ton of time and effort. The least the University could do is spend some money to give them the experience of a home playoff game. You know you are small time when you let SEMO our bid you.
:text-+1: Not the first time it's happened, either. Hancock isn't busy, right?

ricohill

StLRedbird said:
ricohill said:

:text-+1: Not the first time it's happened, either. Hancock isn't busy, right?

We gave up the IHSA state championships for this weekend and this reason. Just disappointed for the players. They deserved better.

Right now the athletic administration doesn’t know the pride these guys take in running out on to that field with REDBIRDS on their chest.

chuckie1980

Go REDBIRDS! I am just thankful that ISU is not scheduled to play a MoValley team until 3rd game.

Virginia Redbird

chuckie1980 said:
Go REDBIRDS! I am just thankful that ISU is not scheduled to play a MoValley team until 3rd game.

I am happy for the senior class that will get an opportunity to play a playoff game. I don't have any expectations of a third game though so I don't think that really matters. If somehow the Redbirds do make a third game it would likely be NDSU...who really needs that kind of embarrassment? The Bison squashed the Redbirds like so many ants in the regular season when the Bird were relatively heathly. I can't imagine the beat down they would take with the current offensive situation.

Birdswin

I do not think it is a Bidding process for home games anymore. It was at one time, but that is no longer the case. Since we were one of the last four in - we were NOT even in consideration for a home game.

Our offensive problems, did not escape the selection committee. The only reason we got in was because of win over SD State - which also pulled down their seeding.

Chi-bird

ricohill said:

It doesn't surprise anyone on this board that you would be critical of ISU "wasting money" on a CBI, but then somehow be critical of them not going in the red for this game.

In fact, I imagine that if we ended up hosting SEMO and didn't draw well, you'd ridicule ISU for "wasting money" on this home game, too.

ChiRedbirdfan

If ISU had a chance to bid and declined due to the economics then I think it is a wise move. If ISU fans collectively are not interested in attending the game then why incur the big expense? Also the argument that the "Seniors deserve better" is so soft, IMO. I'll bet some players generally might prefer the road game experience however unfortunately going to Cape Giradeau MO is not very glamorous. The UNI boys might be excited by their road trip to Cali?

Birdswin

Randy Reinhardt is reporting ISU did submit bids to host a home game for each round of the playoffs.

redbirds2000

Birdswin said:
Randy Reinhardt is reporting ISU did submit bids to host a home game for each round of the playoffs.
They should make those public so fans can get an idea of how much their admin cares.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Birdswin

I have asked the question - Were these bids the minimum? No answer yet.

TheTruth

redbirds2000 said:
They should make those public so fans can get an idea of how much their admin cares.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If the university admin cared about football, the football team wouldn’t be prepping for a trip to SEMO. If the university leadership really cared, the football program would be competing against Illinois State’s peer institutions, not peer athletic depts.