ricohill

Saw this pop up on twitter. A flashback to the 78-79 Sycamore-Redbird game. Another ISU heart breaker.

First game coached by Bob Donewald. Birds beat Indy State during the regular season the year before, but lost to the Sycamores in the NIT by 2 to finish the season.

https://twitter.com/IndStMBB/status/1069954477719994369

https://twitter.com/IndStMBB/status/1070027161057288199

https://twitter.com/IndStMBB/status/1070104863403638784

Phantom

Cool stuff there. We've had a lot of heartbreaking losses to ISU-blue over the decades :x

Bird Friend

I'd have to put the Jay Tunnell game as one of the worst losses by the Birds. Up 12 with 2:25 left, lost in OT. Tunnell was 8-9 from 3, had 29 points, 12 boards. Osiris had a chance to win it in regulation, but missed a fallaway jumper from 12 feet. Oguchi had 19 pts and 11 boards.

I can still remember the mounting sense of doom as ISU-blue kept nailing treys in the final two-plus minutes.

RedbirdSoxFan

Bird Friend said:
I'd have to put the Jay Tunnell game as one of the worst losses by the Birds. Up 12 with 2:25 left, lost in OT. Tunnell was 8-9 from 3, had 29 points, 12 boards. Osiris had a chance to win it in regulation, but missed a fallaway jumper from 12 feet. Oguchi had 19 pts and 11 boards.

I can still remember the mounting sense of doom as ISU-blue kept nailing treys in the final two-plus minutes.

If I recall, the last three 3’s he hit were from the same spot at the top of the key and non-contested. All in the last minute.

CaliRdBrd

Awesome video. Would love to have that vibe again. I guess that’s what frustrates me most.

fdbird83

Larry Bird is the best college basketball player I ever saw in person.

Birdswin

I agree - a heartbreaking loss. I believe that was the closest game Indiana State had that year until the National Championship game vs Michigan State.

Side note - notice the Chief during the introductions. Even though they did not show them in that video, I remember the Indiana State cheerleaders at Horton Fieldhouse dressed as squaws. Yes, the Sycamores were an Indian tribe from the Wabash Valley.

91Bird

[/Awesome video. Would love to have that vibe again. I guess that’s what frustrates me most.]

I completely agree. There have been a lot of players that I loved to watch play over the years...Rick Lamb, Hank Cornley, Rickie Johnson, Rico Hill. Tarise Bryson, DAN MULLER, Jackie Carmichael, Osiris, Paris Lee.

With the team the last couple of years I've struggled to find a favorite player that I love to watch play. The whole style of coming down and jacking up a 3 isn't that entertaining or good basketball to me honestly.

Phantom

RedbirdSoxFan said:
Bird Friend said:

If I recall, the last three 3’s he hit were from the same spot at the top of the key and non-contested. All in the last minute.

At least two were. And one was from deep in the corner that was contested and I remember saying "No F*****G WAY" as he let it go. Swish.

I'll never forget that nightmare.

MadBird

Birdswin said:
I agree - a heartbreaking loss. I believe that was the closest game Indiana State had that year until the National Championship game vs Michigan State.

Side note - notice the Chief during the introductions. Even though they did not show them in that video, I remember the Indiana State cheerleaders at Horton Fieldhouse dressed as squaws. Yes, the Sycamores were an Indian tribe from the Wabash Valley.

Or then again, they could be named the "Trees" --

'Sycamores' nickname and evolution of mascot[edit]
Early on in the school's history, the athletes were referred to as the "Fighting Teachers" (the school's original name was "Indiana State Teachers College"), until the students chose the name "Sycamores", due to the abundance of sycamore trees in Indiana and especially in the Wabash River Valley; though it is believed that the students voted on 'Sycamores' on a lark, never thinking it would win. During the 1950s and 1960s, the sycamore tree itself was used as Indiana State's mascot. However, as a tree does not lend itself well to an athletic mascot, especially considering Indiana State's in-state rivalries with the Ball State Cardinals and Butler Bulldogs, the university created an Indian mascot named "Chief Quabachi", and his "Princess", in 1969.[3] This change paid homage to the fact that ISU was the "State" university of a state named after Indians (prior to statehood Indiana was primarily inhabited by Indians). The university dropped the "Chief Quabachi" mascot in 1989 in response to a variety of objections over use of the Indian caricature[4] and did not have another mascot until 1995, when a blue-and-white wolf named "Sycamore Sam" became Indiana State's mascot.[5]

Top Bottom