Committed: Boden Skunberg NDSU xfer

jwa123

In this day and age especially with NIL money, it’s all about the cash and playing time. The school and quality of the business school may play a very, very small role. Old school thinking that academics have anything to do with a decision.
I think you raise an interesting perspective that has merit. However,I think you are over discounting Doug’s point about ISU academics with the business school.

RedbirdSoxFan

I watched the Bison a few times last season - vs. the other Dakotas mostly, think also Creighton and of course ISU - and I remember Skunberg being pretty solid and versatile.

Compare his stats with Pondexter, JohnnyK and Kasubke, and percentage-wise a lower % came from three than our guys. He takes it to the rack or hits the mid-range jumper pretty well, too. Shouldn't say it this way, but he's what I'm sure Pedon hoped Kasubke would be. He had 49 fouls in 31 games, so he either played hardly any D, or was pretty good at it.

I like the pickup - maybe this puts some pressure on someone else to move on? I hate thinking like that, or saying it out loud, but here we are . . .
Does he remind you any of a taller Colton Sandage?

DougSutton

In this day and age especially with NIL money, it’s all about the cash and playing time. The school and quality of the business school may play a very, very small role. Old school thinking that academics have anything to do with a decision.

I'm taking into consideration the level of budget we have to pay cash. Of course, the quality of university won't make a comparative difference when going against Power 5 conference NIL money. The bottom line is, we can't compete on that level.

So what if ANY advantages can we offer? In some cases, there may be student athletes that have no lofty visions of playing in the NBA or having a career overseas and instead want to set themselves up with a solid career after college. In the cases where our "competition" is other mid major schools and the kids aren't being recruited to Power 5 conferences, and if there's an equal playing field regarding NIL money compared to our competition, then the quality of university and departments may be able to play a role. This kid studies business and we happen to have a very strong business school compared to the competition at our level. I can guarantee it will be a factor with a lot of kids. How much of one, I don't know.

One example that comes to mind off the top of my head on the woman's side is Gabbie Marshall (starting guard and key contributor for Iowa). She's transferring after this year to North Carolina to pursue a masters in occupational therapy and no longer playing basketball. UNC has a great occupational therapy department that Iowa doesn't have.

I'm resigning to the fact that we're not going to be competing to get future pros as much, and that our best chance to win is to get great character kids that fit into a system and I'm hoping Pedon can be the coach to build that system well enough to get us to the tournament and win a game or two. Then, understanding that if he accomplishes this, he'll most likely move on and we'll have to hit lightening in a bottle again with another key hire of a coach that will keep that momentum going.

cubird

Well we did get a package deal with the Deming brothers playing football. Montanta transfers getting their masters in sports training.

redbirds2000

Not really, just a summary of his statistics, no quotes and the typical "Pedon can't comment until....."

On another note, I'm sure the quality of university and business school played a role in this decision for him as well. That's one thing I believe we have going for us at our "level" of competition and perhaps with all the changes in sports, maybe a good strategy is to go after a bunch of grad transfers wanting further education in schools that we excel in.

It was 100% the NIL deal. 100%!

MadBird

Fans on bisonville aren't happy he entered the portal, which is typical, I guess. He's consistently described by them as a high character/high effort ball player. That's music to my ears. And anytime we get to screw the Bizen is just an added bonus.
Link to NDSU Forum - Thread about Skunberg Entering Portal
Amen to screwing the Bison!

Also, I thought a couple/few of those posts talked about a "rift" between the coach and Boden, which might explain the dropoff in production between this year and last year, and why he's in the portal.

MadBird

Fans on bisonville aren't happy he entered the portal, which is typical, I guess. He's consistently described by them as a high character/high effort ball player. That's music to my ears. And anytime we get to screw the Bizen is just an added bonus.
From a different thread on the Bison forum:

Word on the street is Boden got $80K in NIL plus a Ford Raptor, assuming the Raptor is just some sort of lease program but that's a pretty significant package for a guy who was only honorable mention all conference.

What do you think, fans, that sound reasonable? Possible? Would point to Heller Ford, no? Where Annexstad got his vehicle? ;)

DaveBird10

Also, I thought a couple/few of those posts talked about a "rift" between the coach and Boden, which might explain the dropoff in production between this year and last year, and why he's in the portal.
If you read the transfer portal thread and go to page 12 they talk about Boden. A few are surprised he chose ISU over a few other schools and they don't see the difference in a middling mid major and the Summit League. Some person also posts that he got $80k and a Ford Raptor as an NIL deal 🤷‍♂️.Best is not knowing the difference in Bloomington-Normal and thinking Normal was connected to Peoria.

RedbirdSoxFan

He was not in the arena for their January 3rd game against Montana. I believe that was the “rift” they spoke about. Numbers picked back up starting January 6th game against Eastern Washington (didn’t start, but had 23 points off the bench).

Top Bottom