Myles Foster officially enters Transfer Portal!

Hamdonger

Was that player that was averaging 12.4 and 3rd on the team in scoring also pulling down 8.5 rebounds a game?
Yessir, 8.1 rpg! Myles was our most consistent player statistically and again, I'd like to see him back. But 12/8 on a sub .500 team for a guy who, while productive(!), doesn't make his teammates better...it's only my opinion but if we're under .500, carrying a team is out the window.

He's a good player but limited in his ability. What I really liked about Myles was:
*He clearly put in BUNCHES of time to be very improved at the FT line. I think he was close to 80% the latter half of the year. And that won us some games.
*There were some games later in the season where he was passing out of the post and within the post, actually looking for teammates...especially to Kendall on a cut.
*He was a GOOD rebounder on both ends of floor.
*As I mentioned at the end of the year, singing Myles' praises...he averaged 16 and 11 over last 10 games or so, going into the Valley Tourney.

My overall perspective on a player is: does he help to create a better&cohesive team? I don't believe his game translates well to team play.

**Truth is, JohnnyRedbird...I'm pissed and grouchy because I don't see how we're going to effectively compete in the middle of all this craziness...unless a money superhero with tights and a good looking cape swoops in and saves the day.

You don't happen to wear tights and a cape, do you??

Last edited:

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I would love to know how many folks in ISU’s AD Dept. are former ISU athletes and former NCAA athletes versus how many are Accountants cutting corners with little to no understanding of sports
Once you get that, compare that to other "successful" Athletic Depts.

redbirds2000

Idk? Does it really matter? If he wants to leave let him. It’s not the end of the world. That’s why the portal exist. All I’m saying is it’s weird how grown adults act on here bashing a kid who was easily our best and most consistent player this year.
If you think he's getting "bashed" on this board, buckle up for a P6 board where more than 20 people post. More $$, more expectations, more problems. I hope he does well. Pedon will figure it out. If he doesn't, next.

GOP_Redbird

Once you get that, compare that to other "successful" Athletic Depts.
Quick glance at these schools (Best in College Sports: Tennessee's success across the board earns honors for 2022-23 athletic season)

Whitman U of I - Football
Alford Florida State - Baseball
White Tennessee - Basketball
Bobinski Purdue - Baseball
Bevacqua ND - Football
Jarmond UCLA - Basketball
Del Conte Texas - T&F
Bjork Ohio State - Football

__

Goff Kansas - MBA
Woodward LSU - Businessman

redbirds2000

Idk? Does it really matter? If he wants to leave let him. It’s not the end of the world. That’s why the portal exist. All I’m saying is it’s weird how grown adults act on here bashing a kid who was easily our best and most consistent player this year.
Will we see you posting here in November?

RedbirdSoxFan

Yessir, 8.1 rpg! Myles was our most consistent player statistically and again, I'd like to see him back. But 12/8 on a sub .500 team for a guy who, while productive(!), doesn't make his teammates better...it's only my opinion but if we're under .500, carrying a team is out the window.

He's a good player but limited in his ability. What I really liked about Myles was:
*He clearly put in BUNCHES of time to be very improved at the FT line. I think he was close to 80% the latter half of the year. And that won us some games.
*There were some games later in the season where he was passing out of the post and within the post, actually looking for teammates...especially to Kendall on a cut.
*He was a GOOD rebounder on both ends of floor.
*As I mentioned at the end of the year, singing Myles' praises...he averaged 16 and 11 over last 10 games or so, going into the Valley Tourney.

My overall perspective on a player is: does he help to create a better&cohesive team? I don't believe his game translates well to team play.

**Truth is, JohnnyRedbird...I'm pissed and grouchy because I don't see how we're going to effectively compete in the middle of all this craziness...unless a money superhero with tights and a good looking cape swoops in and saves the day.

You don't happen to wear tights and a cape, do you??
Should have given that pool & shed money to NIL. Could have help gotten the Birds a star player😂! Well on second thought, the pool doesn’t cause me heartaches and my wifey loves her she(d)😊

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Quick glance at these schools (Best in College Sports: Tennessee's success across the board earns honors for 2022-23 athletic season)

Whitman U of I - Football
Alford Florida State - Baseball
White Tennessee - Basketball
Bobinski Purdue - Baseball
Bevacqua ND - Football
Jarmond UCLA - Basketball
Del Conte Texas - T&F
Bjork Ohio State - Football

__

Goff Kansas - MBA
Woodward LSU - Businessman
They may have played, but not all of them were A) any good at it and B) weren't hired because they played. Alford was the CEO of the FSU boosters before becoming AD for goodness sakes.

Hamdonger

They may have played, but not all of them were A) any good at it and B) weren't hired because they played. Alford was the CEO of the FSU boosters before becoming AD for goodness sakes.
Yep forget admin skills or past athletes. It used to have great value. It's raaaaaaaaiiiiiiisssssseeeee money.

CaliRdBrd

Understood. But to what end? I'll go ahead and point to Kansas' recent experience. One of if not the top basketball school in the NCAA. Has that gotten them into the B10 or SEC, like some of their old B12 peers? Nope. Having a top basketball program and $3 will get you a cup of coffee at Dunkin'
I don’t know what the answer is but we clearly do not have the budget to compete in both sports, and basketball is a helluva lot less expensive than football.
Either go all in on hoops, or just realize that we’ll forever be a blip on the screen of sports’ importance with zero shot at anything relevant. For some, maybe that’s ok.

dpdoughbird06

Serious question here that isn’t meant to be an insult to our players: would any current Redbird athlete, maybe barring JK, actually do anything to move the needle for you? Like, would anyone start coming there because XYZ player said to?
Depends on their social media presence, which per my discussion with ETN actually favors the female athletes.

I don’t know who’s popular among their fellow students these days, but maybe someone could move the needle - albeit probably not for their athletic exploits.

Phantom

Depends on their social media presence, which per my discussion with ETN actually favors the female athletes.

I don’t know who’s popular among their fellow students these days, but maybe someone could move the needle - albeit probably not for their athletic exploits.
It's ironic, because we had a lot those athletes in years past. If social media influencing was as big 15-20 years ago as it is now, they'd have some sway.

Of course, all of the players I'm thinking of in Men's & Women's hoops and football would've been long gone in the portal after a year too, so, different era/moot argument 🤠

Redbird28

There will be fewer p5 high school recruits as the p5 s see/witness the value of age/experience . by default that will push some historic p5frosh talent down the food chain. 5/4 stars not impacted but the 3 stars will be impacted
The thing is, they get the star rating based on who is recruiting them, not all just because of their talent. So, the 5/4 stars, particularly the 4 stars will likely be impacted. There are plenty of talented kids that slip through the cracks with much lower star ratings just because a "big boy" never tossed them an offer.

I'll give you one example - Antonio Reeves. If you go pull his recruiting profile on 247 they don't even show a star rating on him coming out of HS. I think we can all agree he was a very talented, lithe shooter coming out of Simeon and has since built both his body and game into what will likely be an NBA draft selection in the late first or somewhere in the second round.

DWRedbird

The thing is, they get the star rating based on who is recruiting them, not all just because of their talent. So, the 5/4 stars, particularly the 4 stars will likely be impacted. There are plenty of talented kids that slip through the cracks with much lower star ratings just because a "big boy" never tossed them an offer.

I'll give you one example - Antonio Reeves. If you go pull his recruiting profile on 247 they don't even show a star rating on him coming out of HS. I think we can all agree he was a very talented, lithe shooter coming out of Simeon and has since built both his body and game into what will likely be an NBA draft selection in the late first or somewhere in the second round.

The star rating aren't even all done based on who is recruiting them. One recruiting site uses a composite of fan grades in terms of stars to grade recruits and another uses a composite average of other sites.

In my opinion, the star eval system is only good for top 20 recruits nationwide, after that its completely subjective and largely a bad way to evaluate any recruits we bring in.

RedbirdSoxFan

The star rating aren't even all done based on who is recruiting them. One recruiting site uses a composite of fan grades in terms of stars to grade recruits and another uses a composite average of other sites.

In my opinion, the star eval system is only good for top 20 recruits nationwide, after that its completely subjective and largely a bad way to evaluate any recruits we bring in.
Ethan Morton was a 4* recruited in High School who signed with Purdue. He was a senior this year (has Covid year eligibility left) and averaged 10 minutes 0.6 PPG. He definitely should have went Mid-Major route.

MadBird

Ethan Morton was a 4* recruited in High School who signed with Purdue. He was a senior this year (has Covid year eligibility left) and averaged 10 minutes 0.6 PPG. He definitely should have went Mid-Major route.
I was telling Mrs. MadBird during the game Monday that Painter should've called Morton off the bench and given him a shot. He played 25 minutes per game in 2023 and started most of PU's games. Fell out of favor for some reason - he didn't shoot very well, but was 2nd on the team in steals. Odd deal for him this year.

Top Bottom