Myles Foster officially enters Transfer Portal!

ChiRedbirdfan

That would be an interesting way this could go, maybe. If P5s are focusing more on getting soph/junior transfers from mids, and mids are being forced into playing the farm system role, then why not shamelessly go after 5-star HS kids and be like "I don't care that [insert P5] is recruiting you, you come play for us for a year or two instead of sitting the bench there, then transfer to [insert P5] and start right away and get 3x the money because you're an established player." So mids officially become feeders for the big boys. Load up on 5 star underclassmen and upperclassmen P5 transfers. Sounds easy. Maybe those conversations happen already, who knows.

I kid, of course. But sorta not really 😁
A log of talk about that concept the past couple of years. Downside is that a high talent recruit is only staying one year max so there is limited upside unless you get lucky and the frosh is a major impact player like Anthony Davis was his 1st year.

CaliRdBrd

Schertz did it faster and flashier, but Muller had us as relevant in 2017, and we made a few NITs and played on Sunday in 2015 and 2018, as well.

The cliff we fell off afterwards was steep, but even in decline he could still recruit; just look at how many of his players started in tourney teams after leaving us. Reeves and Horne…what might have been.

Maybe it’s our turn to strike portal magic around JK this year and we take by storm a Valley in flux…

Kinda makes me think Muller was simply a victim of changing times, and un-winnable circumstances.

CaliRdBrd

Myles is a good MVC player. He was a double/double machine in the MVC. I am sorry to see him in the portal; as we need him but I believe he might not find the grass greener outside of ISU.
Many said that about Reeves. My guess is he’ll do just fine.

CaliRdBrd

I also worry that we're a step behind on the portal game and NIL. You have kids now demanding million-dollar deals FFS. Granted, those are at big P5 schools with 50x our budget and fanbase, but that's the kind of cesspool this has turned into, almost overnight. The more buzz NIL gets, the more trendy it becomes.

Just call scholarships what they are: 1 year deals with an opt out. It's a professional setup. Some have argued, well gee, if coaches can leave when they want, why cant players? Simple. It's because until now, coaches were in their chosen profession. It is their job. Players used to be student-athletes, which meant their "job" was to get an education and a degree and play a sport in the process. Now that's all changed.

We don't have the cash to pour into NIL, and because of a lack of sustained success despite some big flashes in the pan, and no NCAA tourney in 26 years, we don't have the deep pocketed or interested fanbase to pony up the dough to lure talent with big NIL bucks. And that's what it is going to take, sadly. Can we get lucky and hit a few home runs in the portal and flip this thing quick? Sure we can. Would 1-2 trips to the dance help us out to become more of a destination for good portal players to sustain that success? Absotively! But until we do it...

Imagine being a coach in this current environment. The first instance of “constructive criticism” and your star player is off to another school. These coaches must be constantly walking on eggshells.
Bobby Knight is rolling over in his grave.

CaliRdBrd

A log of talk about that concept the past couple of years. Downside is that a high talent recruit is only staying one year max so there is limited upside unless you get lucky and the frosh is a major impact player like Anthony Davis was his 1st year.
All P5 recruits are getting mega-cash regardless of whether they sit or not; the kind of cash mid-majors can only dream of.
In other words, the kid may not play, but he’s still getting $1 million/year vs. starting at a Valley school and maybe getting $50,000?
I’m not a kid any more, but I think I know which door they’d be choosing.

SgtHulka

Imagine being a coach in this current environment. The first instance of “constructive criticism” and your star player is off to another school. These coaches must be constantly walking on eggshells.
Bobby Knight is rolling over in his grave.
Won’t be long till players call the shots on final plays

Attachments

• IMG_1245.jpeg
    IMG_1245.jpeg
    615.7 KB · Views: 0

Redbird222

Selfishly, I'd love to see him at San Diego State. We've got a good thing going out here. Four consecutive NCAA appearances including back to back Sweet 16s and a national championship game appearance and 11 appearances since 2010. The weather and metro area is amazing. SDSU style of play would be a great fit for Myles as well.
I don't think he plays man to man defense well enough for San Diego St. I think Myles benefited greatly when we switched to the amoeba zone defense. I do think he could help them offensively.

Redbird222

Tcu insider talking about NIL in basketball

9MM just for basketball

Attachments

• 112569.jpeg
    112569.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 22

ChiRedbirdfan

All P5 recruits are getting mega-cash regardless of whether they sit or not; the kind of cash mid-majors can only dream of.
In other words, the kid may not play, but he’s still getting $1 million/year vs. starting at a Valley school and maybe getting $50,000?
There will be fewer p5 high school recruits as the p5 s see/witness the value of age/experience . by default that will push some historic p5frosh talent down the food chain. 5/4 stars not impacted but the 3 stars will be impacted

Birdfriend72

If you dominate at a valley school your chances of more money increases by your junior year.

ChiRedbirdfan

Texas, Michigan and USC are in this list and have a university/athletic department culture that demands success or else….scary how much NIL potential exists for them. Noteworthy that a MAC school made the list. Someone, in the past,posted a list of institutions that Isu admin viewed as peers and Miami of Ohio was in the list. ISU needs to associate themself with those type of peers and get the F away from EIU and WIU. College football is the most dominant sport as respects to university exposure/name recognition and revenue. What do we do? … Hook our train to EIU as our football rivalry. In the new nil era we need a grassroots program to get alumni motivated to donate and playing schools like EIU, wiu, uni and the Dakotas in the world of fcs football will never do it. Want donations?….then give peeps/alumni a reason to donate. I donate to NU, UW MADISON , and U Chicago athletics as I feel motivated to donate to their programs. I previously donated to ISU ATHLETICS and purchased season tickets but stopped. Really looking forward to the day when Isu athletics has me motivated to donate again.

Hamdonger

Myles is a good MVC player. He was a double/double machine in the MVC. I am sorry to see him in the portal; as we need him but I believe he might not find the grass greener outside of ISU.
I'm kind of with you on this one, although I'm sure he'll find more financial incentive out there from...someone.

Last edited:

DWRedbird

I think he'll do fine, and likely average somewhere close to what he did now. Were I to hazard a guess, probably in the range of 10 and 8 or so for a P6 team.

dpdoughbird06

There will be fewer p5 high school recruits as the p5 s see/witness the value of age/experience . by default that will push some historic p5frosh talent down the food chain. 5/4 stars not impacted but the 3 stars will be impacted
Could this be how we landed Ty Pence? Or was it the allure of building on Courtney’s family legacy?

dpdoughbird06

Texas, Michigan and USC are in this list and have a university/athletic department culture that demands success or else….scary how much NIL potential exists for them. Noteworthy that a MAC school made the list. Someone, in the past,posted a list of institutions that Isu admin viewed as peers and Miami of Ohio was in the list. ISU needs to associate themself with those type of peers and get the F away from EIU and WIU. College football is the most dominant sport as respects to university exposure/name recognition and revenue. What do we do? … Hook our train to EIU as our football rivalry. In the new nil era we need a grassroots program to get alumni motivated to donate and playing schools like EIU, wiu, uni and the Dakotas in the world of fcs football will never do it. Want donations?….then give peeps/alumni a reason to donate. I donate to NU, UW MADISON , and U Chicago athletics as I feel motivated to donate to their programs. I previously donated to ISU ATHLETICS and purchased season tickets but stopped. Really looking forward to the day when Isu athletics has me motivated to donate again.
Wasn’t University of Chicago basically in the original B1G but gave up football entirely in the 1930s and dropped out?

Imagine the reaction here if we did that…

redbirds2000

I'm kind of with you on this one, although I'm sure he'll find more financial incentive out there from...someone.
Exactly. He's already played 4 years. Looks like he may finish his degree? He more than likely won't have a significant professional career. Go double/triple your $$$. I'd rather be the 10th/11th man at NCSt today than any where near Normal, IL!

ChiRedbirdfan

Wasn’t University of Chicago basically in the original B1G but gave up football entirely in the 1930s and dropped out?

Imagine the reaction here if we did that…
Yes Sir…dropped out of the big ten in the ‘40s and Michigan state took their place. The original heisman is displayed in their athletic center as the first winner was a u Chicago player, Sid Luckman. Also the heisman trophy was molded from a Chicago tribune picture of a u Chicago football player running with the football.

I believe they are one of the only teams with an undefeated football record against Norte dame when playing more than once. Big 2-0 record. I had to laugh when I read the stat as that is the classic statistic example of there being a unique “record” in about every situation if one is willing to define enough statistical parameters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom