Myles Foster officially enters Transfer Portal!

MadBird

Does anyone else think it is kind of a sad reflection on the world that people who are fortunate enough to have the financial means to support causes of their choosing, even have to think about handing out their hard earned $ to ensure “insert name here” student athlete gets to play the sport he/she wants at a institution of higher learning? Kinda seems like priorities are a little out of whack right now. Peace.
Amen brother.

It is a major league rabbit hole all the way around. I mean, we're paying hundreds of dollars a year for cable TV and streaming and so forth and that goes to the schools and conferences and that's why this all came about, so the kids could get some dough, but they're not getting a share of the money the schools and conferences are getting, they're getting a relatively meager amount raised by collectives from, guess who - US, the same people who are doling out for our cable or dish or streaming services.

And its like when I gripe about the people who spend hard-earned cash on gambling, and then they bitch about the taxes or meeting the needs of the poor or the kids who are beaten by their lousy parents, etc. when they've got disposable income out the rear. Editorial comment. Priorities are definitely ain't quite right. I'm as guilty as the next guy.

Aggie

Most of us do not have unlimited financial resources. Even if you have the luxury of some disposable income that can be used for donations, you are now faced with the dilemma of do I donate to the school and support initiatives that impact athletes or for years to come or do I donate to a collective. A collective, with input from the coach and athletic department, that has to distribute funds in this chaotic environment in the hopes to attract/retain the right talent.

Remember, NIL is not paid by the university directly (they may have input) but it's donors or corporations that support the collective. You know - you, me, and State Farm. Honestly, I have had a hard time justifying donating to the collective knowing the NIL deals are for one year. The year ends and the player is essentially a free agent and let the bidding begin. I would not have as much heartburn donating to the collective if it actually would retain the talent for a longer period of time. Hell I would even like to give a player more $$ in the 4th year at ISU, regardless of his basketball talent, who demonstrates leadership, loyalty, and other virtues I would want to instill in young men. So I question if it will retain the talent and wonder if giving 18 - 22 24 (Covid) year-olds is prudent and thus I have not donated.

Now here's the predicament, I don't know how many basketball games we will with that philosophy.

Hence, I am conflicted. Even when I begin to get my ahead around NIL and start to open up to supporting a collective, I begin to think is it really worth it? Foster entering the portal makes me question this even again. The deal he was offered was more than fair for MVC and much more than the 30k Avila had this year. However, I read somewhere (I cannot locate the article) that starting p6 players averaged somewhere between 200k to 300k from collectives. A bargain starter was 150k. The article also mentioned the SEC was driving up the costs and other conferences were getting upset with them. So the money and opportunity for greater financial success, albeit for a short-term, is real. Can or should I be pissed he left ISU? Probably not, but I can be disappointed.

The ISU collective is hoping to have 250k per year (up from a desired 150k last year) for just men's basketball. That's a significant increase in % which is awesome. However, remember this is annually and its needs to repeat and most likely grow next year and beyond. It's not hard to do the math and see it will be a tall task to continue to raise this also knowing how far behind we are from the P6 teams. I begin to think - am I just throwing money out the door so it can be distributed to mediocre, one-dimensional player who is not necessarily committed to the school I cherish so much? Then the birdie on the other shoulder (usually dressed in red with a pitchfork) says you may need to donate to arm the coach with the appropriate resources to compete in this chaotic yet undesirable environment. I also confess that sometimes I get delusional and think if we win and the stands are full, maybe there would be enough folks to help the support financially. Then the birdie on my other should says - even if that happens would it be sustainable?

Thus the dilemma and quagmire. Either way - I think I will be saying this quite often in the future:

Myles (insert players name), thank you for your one year of service and I will reluctantly root for you and often wonder what could have been if you and some others had stayed at ISU.
The rules are the rules whether we like them or not. We either pay to play or just drop down a division and say we are going to just have student athletes who if they are any good just go to the higher level. I believe a third way is to get really good at evaluating or discovering talent, getting said talent to come here for one year, win and move on. If we are successful at moving them along then more talent comes here for a year or two to shine brightly and move up. A system like this could feed on itself. The athletes maybe take a little less for the year here knowing the future payout will be bigger. Become a feeder program that wins. Every now and then you have an off year but every now and then you have a great year. I believe that is the culture you need to pursue.

Rollbirds5

Most of us do not have unlimited financial resources. Even if you have the luxury of some disposable income that can be used for donations, you are now faced with the dilemma of do I donate to the school and support initiatives that impact athletes or for years to come or do I donate to a collective. A collective, with input from the coach and athletic department, that has to distribute funds in this chaotic environment in the hopes to attract/retain the right talent.

Remember, NIL is not paid by the university directly (they may have input) but it's donors or corporations that support the collective. You know - you, me, and State Farm. Honestly, I have had a hard time justifying donating to the collective knowing the NIL deals are for one year. The year ends and the player is essentially a free agent and let the bidding begin. I would not have as much heartburn donating to the collective if it actually would retain the talent for a longer period of time. Hell I would even like to give a player more $$ in the 4th year at ISU, regardless of his basketball talent, who demonstrates leadership, loyalty, and other virtues I would want to instill in young men. So I question if it will retain the talent and wonder if giving 18 - 22 24 (Covid) year-olds is prudent and thus I have not donated.

Now here's the predicament, I don't know how many basketball games we will with that philosophy.

Hence, I am conflicted. Even when I begin to get my ahead around NIL and start to open up to supporting a collective, I begin to think is it really worth it? Foster entering the portal makes me question this even again. The deal he was offered was more than fair for MVC and much more than the 30k Avila had this year. However, I read somewhere (I cannot locate the article) that starting p6 players averaged somewhere between 200k to 300k from collectives. A bargain starter was 150k. The article also mentioned the SEC was driving up the costs and other conferences were getting upset with them. So the money and opportunity for greater financial success, albeit for a short-term, is real. Can or should I be pissed he left ISU? Probably not, but I can be disappointed.

The ISU collective is hoping to have 250k per year (up from a desired 150k last year) for just men's basketball. That's a significant increase in % which is awesome. However, remember this is annually and its needs to repeat and most likely grow next year and beyond. It's not hard to do the math and see it will be a tall task to continue to raise this also knowing how far behind we are from the P6 teams. I begin to think - am I just throwing money out the door so it can be distributed to mediocre, one-dimensional player who is not necessarily committed to the school I cherish so much? Then the birdie on the other shoulder (usually dressed in red with a pitchfork) says you may need to donate to arm the coach with the appropriate resources to compete in this chaotic yet undesirable environment. I also confess that sometimes I get delusional and think if we win and the stands are full, maybe there would be enough folks to help the support financially. Then the birdie on my other should says - even if that happens would it be sustainable?

Thus the dilemma and quagmire. Either way - I think I will be saying this quite often in the future:

Myles (insert players name), thank you for your one year of service and I will reluctantly root for you and often wonder what could have been if you and some others had stayed at ISU.
Very well said. One idea, maybe we hand out an offering plate at games like we do at church to collect donations (half joking)? 😂

redbirds2000

I have one child who is a freshman playing a sport at a Division III school and another one who is starting their college search and will hopefully end up playing their sport at a Division III school. We like that at level the student comes before athlete. Neither of them are going to play their sport professionally and we don't want them both living in our basement forever so their academics need to come first.

My point is I wonder if the academic side of things even comes into play in most Division I money making sports. Like...this is a good school for the major I want to go in so I'm going to go here. I suppose going to 3, 4, or 5 colleges an athlete can still end up with a degree from the last school they decide to go to and with the current landscape, money talks.

Like everyone else has already said, it just sucks for non-power conference teams and I feel like it's already hurting the interest for a lot of fans.

I was really expecting to hear more roster movement for the Birds but it appears we'll just roll with most of the same team we had this past year.
I read somewhere (probably a chat board) that Michigan turned away Caleb Love and Terrance Shannon Jr. because of academic reasons. Not sure of true so take it for what it's worth.

Redbird222

Very well said. One idea, maybe we hand out an offering plate at games like we do at church to collect donations (half joking)? 😂
The rules are the rules whether we like them or not. We either pay to play or just drop down a division and say we are going to just have student athletes who if they are any good just go to the higher level. I believe a third way is to get really good at evaluating or discovering talent, getting said talent to come here for one year, win and move on. If we are successful at moving them along then more talent comes here for a year or two to shine brightly and move up. A system like this could feed on itself. The athletes maybe take a little less for the year here knowing the future payout will be bigger. Become a feeder program that wins. Every now and then you have an off year but every now and then you have a great year. I believe that is the culture you need to pursue.
The feeder program could work albeit it may be hard to sustain. I would assume a staff that is so strong at talent evaluation would be plucked.

I didn't mention it but the disparity on salaries between MVC and the mid major conferences we aspire to compete against is a growing concern. Losing a successful coach to SLU (assumption) just highlights that.

redbirds2000

I am in the same boat as you. When I was approached about giving to NIL, it was a difficult decision primarily because we just aren't winning. If it was 2017, I probably would not have thought twice. My argument is the money will come if they win. More businesses will jump on board along with alumni. The counter to that is it is going to be tough to win without the $$.

Redbird222

Won’t get any of my money, unless as noted later I hit the power ball. Then… I’d anti up enough to outbid the big boys and see how they deal with it.
If I win powerball ... this 100%. I want to mess with the P6. I am actually giving the most to ISU but I am going to give to other MVC Teams so we have a bunch of Quad 1 wins. I am not giving to Bradley though ... I want to waive to their fans on Thursday night in St Louis.

Hamdonger

If I win powerball ... this 100%. I want to mess with the P6. I am actually giving the most to ISU but I am going to give to other MVC Teams so we have a bunch of Quad 1 wins. I am not giving to Bradley though ... I want to waive to their fans on Thursday night in St Louis.
There could be a chance that I'm using a different hand gesture.

redbirds2000

As part of the deal with the other teams, they will need to agree to vote BU out of the Valley. This vote shall take place on Wednesday night, the week of the MVC tournament.

SgtHulka

Was fantasizing the same. If you could outbid them and buy the best players with a four year deal before they have a chance to react and dig deeper in the war chest you could shoe in a valley championship and autobid and hopefully spoil the party a few times

Otherwise, as a poor man I’m not buying a Chase Walker jersey from Empower the Nest and watch him eventually move on.

redbirds2000

Was fantasizing the same. If you could outbid them and buy the best players with a four year deal before they have a chance to react and dig deeper in the war chest you could shoe in a valley championship and autobid and hopefully spoil the party a few times

Otherwise, as a poor man I’m not buying a Chase Walker jersey from Empower the Nest and watch him eventually move on.
It would be interesting to see how many jersey sales are happening. Outside of the family, I'm guessing zero. I would even say this for the big schools. I'm not sure buying someone's college jersey has ever really been a thing even before NIL.

dpdoughbird06

I miss waking up at 9 AM on Friday in STL - in part for Chili Mac at that weekdays-only hole in the wall - and watching the annual tradition that was the “Bradley Shuffle” of their few downtrodden fans checking out of their hotels preparing to quietly trudge their way back to Peoria.

Milton Doyle’s crowning Valley achievement remains the three he hit on a Thursday in service of the Bradley Shuffle.

FriscoBird90

Today's NIL has brought the under the table payments above the table. The programs with the big money have always been paying players more than programs with less money, let alone programs with little-to-no money. Unfortunately, the asking price players are demanding up front and the pools of money the major collectives are now pumping into the system are far, far greater than they were just a few years ago, and programs like our beloved ISU simply cannot compete in that environment.

The good news is that reforms in terms of NIL and the transfer portal will come; they simply must come if anything resembling "traditional/amateur" college athletics is to survive. However, the bad news, my guess is, is that many of us will not like the final results. The networks and the two or three remaining major conferences will establish an "elite" level of about 50 programs, and the rest will be pushed into a lower division or divisions. Among the casualties will be even some of the programs currently included in the "major" conferences. Sorry, programs like Vanderbilt; you simply will take up too much of the shared revenue from the television deals that want to show Texas/Michigan/Alabama football and Duke/UNC/Kansas basketball. Even then, something tells me that farther down the road such a new version of the marriage of "major" college athletics and massive network contract money is going to collapse in on itself, especially if ratings eventually start to decline and the networks decide as a result to start cutting back on the amounts they are willing to pay. Perhaps then a return to smaller, more regionally based conferences with some realistic/somewhat affordable guidelines in terms of player compensation will emerge. Maybe? Possibly? Yeah, you're right; probably not. A fan can dream, though.

Redbird222

It would be interesting to see how many jersey sales are happening. Outside of the family, I'm guessing zero. I would even say this for the big schools. I'm not sure buying someone's college jersey has ever really been a thing even before NIL.
If you buy a jersey make sure the os name applied with velcro so you can switch it out after a year

Top Bottom