Post-Season Bids

gobirds85

Indy State has had three consecutive sellouts and now they head into the NIT semis. Great to see them move forward and I'm pulling for them to win it all. Then, as is today's reality, the coach will pick up another $1-1.5 million a year somewhere else. College bball isn't college bball anymore, it's just another bball league. The ncaa sucks azz. They have the mid majors play one another in the tourney to erase them and then you end up with what we have right now. There are no Cinderellas, no compelling stories, just a lot of chalk. Great to see the lil ten get whacked around again, so there's that.

The new model is simple...win NOW!

Phantom

Short trip for Sycs fans over to Hinkle for their semis matchup against the winner of Utah St/VCU. Hopefully they pack the place like they have at Hulman.

Aggie

Indy State has had three consecutive sellouts and now they head into the NIT semis. Great to see them move forward and I'm pulling for them to win it all. Then, as is today's reality, the coach will pick up another $1-1.5 million a year somewhere else. College bball isn't college bball anymore, it's just another bball league. The ncaa sucks azz. They have the mid majors play one another in the tourney to erase them and then you end up with what we have right now. There are no Cinderellas, no compelling stories, just a lot of chalk. Great to see the lil ten get whacked around again, so there's that.

Gambling revenues driving lots of this. Gambling spends lots of advertising money. And yes, you need to build every year to win now. And when you do expect the coach and players to move to greener pastures. Why the gambling comment. Unknown Cinderellas mess up “the line”. Known entities get more bets placed. Unfortunately it has come to this.

B

BirdGrad2011

We’ve had more Cinderella runs than ever lately. College coaches have constantly left for bigger jobs.

If you want to cry about the portal and “free agency” then I’m game. Whining about coaches using schools as stepping stones has been going on for decades.

Aggie

We’ve had more Cinderella runs than ever lately. College coaches have constantly left for bigger jobs.

If you want to cry about the portal and “free agency” then I’m game. Whining about coaches using schools as stepping stones has been going on for decades.
Not whining or crying just stating the facts. Big money controls college sports and that is all it is, just the facts. College sports are not going back to what they used to be. I think “unfortunately” gambling drives a lot of this and for society that holds lots of downside. But that genie is not going back into the bottle either. You need to try and win now and then expect most of the coaches and players to move on. Just how college sports are these days.

Phantom

coaches using schools as stepping stones has been going on for decades.
See: Tim Jankovich. While all but one of his years here were a lot of fun - top talent on the roster, energetic play, electric atmosphere at the arena, etc....it always felt like he had one eye out the door.

But I'd go back to those years in a heartbeat :cool:

Redbird222

Yes but a couple of differences

1. Coaches have not been able to take whole or partial teams with them. This has changed with transfer rule changes. NIL also helps ... coach gets a raise and players get NIL. Bringing players helps the transition ... talent and knowledge of system.
2. The salaries have been become increasingly more tiered the past 10 years. Unfortunately MVC coaching salaries are not just behind P6 but also A10, AAC, and MWC. They will probably fall behind or may already be behind Conference USA and Sun Belt which have richer football programs and revenue sources. There is greater incentive to move between HC jobs vs just asst coaches to HC.
3. The access to games footage and information is incredible easy these days versus 20 years ago. There are no hidden secrets ... you win and you have the right program and they will find you.

The interesting thing going forward for coaches with aspirations is do you go assistant coach route of bigger programs or get into head coaching positions sooner. That could be JC, D2 or low major teams. The HC jobs will pay less and arguably have volatility but there may be greater upside. You might have to work the ladder like Schertz vs the rout that Pedon took.

There is not a steadfast rule but it seems to be a trend of moving towards hiring head coaches. Maybe I am wrong but it's my perception ... and yes there are plenty of examples of asst coaches landing HC roles.

I bring this up because the more movement HC to HC vs asst coach to HC causes more turnover in jobs each year.

CaliRdBrd

Chances they’re now poached by a better conference? I’ll put the odds at 6-1.

CaliRdBrd

Yes but a couple of differences

1. Coaches have not been able to take whole or partial teams with them. This has changed with transfer rule changes. NIL also helps ... coach gets a raise and players get NIL. Bringing players helps the transition ... talent and knowledge of system.
2. The salaries have been become increasingly more tiered the past 10 years. Unfortunately MVC coaching salaries are not just behind P6 but also A10, AAC, and MWC. They will probably fall behind or may already be behind Conference USA and Sun Belt which have richer football programs and revenue sources. There is greater incentive to move between HC jobs vs just asst coaches to HC.
3. The access to games footage and information is incredible easy these days versus 20 years ago. There are no hidden secrets ... you win and you have the right program and they will find you.

The interesting thing going forward for coaches with aspirations is do you go assistant coach route of bigger programs or get into head coaching positions sooner. That could be JC, D2 or low major teams. The HC jobs will pay less and arguably have volatility but there may be greater upside. You might have to work the ladder like Schertz vs the rout that Pedon took.

There is not a steadfast rule but it seems to be a trend of moving towards hiring head coaches. Maybe I am wrong but it's my perception ... and yes there are plenty of examples of asst coaches landing HC roles.

I bring this up because the more movement HC to HC vs asst coach to HC causes more turnover in jobs each year.
Or maybe you get someone like Spack. A coach who is slightly above average, has zero pressure to win, and has no aspirations to take a chance at the next level. The coach of the Oakland hoops team is another example.

redbirds2000

Schertz supposedly has turned down FAU (alma mater) and Louisville. He is supposedly down to staying at Trees or SLU
Interesting. Louisville is a dumpster fire. FAU was probably a flash in the pan. If he can get everyone to come back to Indy, he's probably better off for 1 more year and wait and see what opens for 2025. I thought for sure he would be gone, but maybe not.

Birdswin

Schertz supposedly has turned down FAU (alma mater) and Louisville. He is supposedly down to staying at Trees or SLU
Schertz signed a Memorandum of Understanding with SLU for $2 million per year for 6 years, and has a $4 million buyout - that is what turned Louisville away. The sportswriters and radio hosts in St. Louis are opening encouraging Schertz to "bring the whole team" to SLU.

RedbirdSoxFan

Interesting. Louisville is a dumpster fire. FAU was probably a flash in the pan. If he can get everyone to come back to Indy, he's probably better off for 1 more year and wait and see what opens for 2025. I thought for sure he would be gone, but maybe not.
I’m pretty sure Pat Kelsey got the Louisville job.

Top Bottom