DeVries to West Virginia

TheDude

+100...we will be next until we change our strategy that has not worked for many decades....the landscape is vastly different than the 80s and 90s yet our approach and offerings are the SAME. peeps seem to put it all on the many coaches that have come and gone yet do not question isu's athletic department's approach. are we putting our coaches in an advantageous place to succeed given our profile, competition and expenditures?...i believe we could do significantly better. even in the gutted fcs ,where we are now a giant in many ways, we don't make the playoffs routinely where 20 to 25% of teams annually qualify. that fact is mind boggling to me. really hoping Tarhule and the next AD make some changes in our strategy, athletic offerings and esp coaches/staff expenses so that we put our current and future coaches in a more advantageous position. other universities want "meaningful" success more than ISU and i hope we get back to bowman like leadership again as we were heading the right way and then the brakes were applied and we regressed.

LETS GO!!
What specific strategy are you referring to that we have been using for decades that hasn't worked? You seem to be implying we haven't tried anything new in decades. Be specific. What do you mean?

Aggie

For 25+ years our motto has been “We Got Next”, but somehow another program jumps out of nowhere to steal our thunder. Often it’s a dynasty like Wichita or on-and-off dominance like UNI, but sometimes takes the form of Drake 2008 or last year’s Trees. Even in our best years there has always been someone up there just above us to knock us down just enough to keep us from dancing.

That said, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen so much flux in the Valley. But as long as Wardle is still down the road, we still have a rival to unseat if we plan to get anywhere.
We have to build a team that can beat Bradley 3 times next year

dpdoughbird06

We have to build a team that can beat Bradley 3 times next year
Did Drake beat them 3x this year? But if we want to win Arch Madness, doing this will help. I don’t see the Valley getting any at-larges anymore.

RedbirdSoxFan

Did Drake beat them 3x this year? But if we want to win Arch Madness, doing this will help. I don’t see the Valley getting any at-larges anymore.
If Schertz stays at Indiana State (and all his starters remain) they will own the Valley next season. Belmont already losing Dia, Gillespie and Tyson. Bradley will have a problem replacing Leons, but still have a nice group returning. If Schertz leaves and his players follow, the Valley appears to be wide open in the fight for the lone bid.

Last edited:

Birdswin

If Schertz stays at Indiana State (and all his starters remain) they will own the Valley next season. Belmont already losing Dia, Gillespie and Tyson. Bradley will have a problem replacing Leons, but still have a nice group returning. If Schertz leaves and his players follow, the Valley appears to be wide open in the fight for the lone bid.
Schertz's agent already has a deal with SLU.

ChiRedbirdfan

What specific strategy are you referring to that we have been using for decades that hasn't worked? You seem to be implying we haven't tried anything new in decades. Be specific. What do you mean?
Let me ask you what we have done differently in the past 40 years outside of moderately increasing our emphasis on football and outsourcing of marketing/rights/media negotiations to learfield?

For the record I do not view new paint, bricks/ mortar and whatever the bubble is made out of as a strategic change. That is spending in support of existing strategy.

Birdswin

Schertz should run it back one year then take IU or another P5 that opens up
The deal is not ironclad - more of like in principle from what I understand. The SLU folks are afraid the more Indiana State wins in the NIT the more likely it is for Louisville to make a better offer. Then it is back to the drawing board for SLU.

TheDude

Let me ask you what we have done differently in the past 40 years outside of moderately increasing our emphasis on football and outsourcing of marketing/rights/media negotiations to learfield?

For the record I do not view new paint, bricks/ mortar and whatever the bubble is made out of as a strategic change. That is spending in support of existing strategy.
I wasn't arguing with you or saying you were wrong, I just wanted to know what you meant. You made a very bold, provocative statement that we haven't done anything different in decades but then provided no substance. So I'll ask again..what do you mean?

Top Bottom