DeVries to West Virginia

DougSutton

This is a surprising hire in my opinion. Morgantown is a different world and culture. They do have A LOT of money with big donors so their NIL potential is very high. I just don't see Devries fitting in there, I could be wrong. This seems as odd of a fit as Shaka Smart leaving VCU for Texas and he just didn't fit. Shaka is at an ideal program for him in Marquette. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

Baltimore Bird

WV basketball and football is a huge thing for the State. There is not much else going on in the region. It is 3-4 hours from Baltimore, DC and Pittsburgh. It is a great campus and Bob Huggins sure did well there until he got into trouble. I hope he does well.

topiarydan

And the AAA MVC is once again raided by the Major League ballclub. Look for DeVreis to not only take Tucker but one other Drake player. In all reality with the number of teams losing players - if we keep our team in tact (granted getting in another big) we might actually sneak in next year. If Indy State coacch leaves then Indy State will lose 3 guys easily who would follow him

Aggie

And the AAA MVC is once again raided by the Major League ballclub. Look for DeVreis to not only take Tucker but one other Drake player. In all reality with the number of teams losing players - if we keep our team in tact (granted getting in another big) we might actually sneak in next year. If Indy State coacch leaves then Indy State will lose 3 guys easily who would follow him
A bunch of Indy state go with the coach. My guess 3-4 Drake go to WVU. Missouri State and UIC starting over. SIU looks like a train wreck. ISUr just has to beat Bradley three times next year. Whoever gets the players in the portal has a shot at the conference tournament next year. I have two nephews and a niece that graduated from WVU. That coach will fit in just fine with that culture and neighborhood.

Sanantoniobird

This is a surprising hire in my opinion. Morgantown is a different world and culture. They do have A LOT of money with big donors so their NIL potential is very high. I just don't see Devries fitting in there, I could be wrong. This seems as odd of a fit as Shaka Smart leaving VCU for Texas and he just didn't fit. Shaka is at an ideal program for him in Marquette. Will be interesting to see how this goes.
He’ll be fine as long as he has a good parking brake on his car for all them hills on campus. 😆

Hamdonger

Sucks for our league, but congrats to Darian and I assume Tucker. West Virginia will lick Coach's armpits if he brings a consistent winner. He is most definitely capable.

dpdoughbird06

For 25+ years our motto has been “We Got Next”, but somehow another program jumps out of nowhere to steal our thunder. Often it’s a dynasty like Wichita or on-and-off dominance like UNI, but sometimes takes the form of Drake 2008 or last year’s Trees. Even in our best years there has always been someone up there just above us to knock us down just enough to keep us from dancing.

That said, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen so much flux in the Valley. But as long as Wardle is still down the road, we still have a rival to unseat if we plan to get anywhere.

DaveBird10

I heard this rumor late Saturday night with a friend who lives in Morgantown and has basketball season tickets. They are thrilled to get Devries and Tucker in Morgantown even if it is for 1 year. It kind of surprised me and all came out and about fast. Hopefully they can go to Morgantown and ball out. Feel bad for Drake especially 2 NCAA tournament trips and nothing to show for it except sick last year and a chocking away this years game.
MVC now has 4 schools with new coaches and could have 5. MVC is gonna take a step back next year, hopefully Pedon and company can make our leap into to the top 4 next year.

Last edited:

ChiRedbirdfan

For 25+ years our motto has been “We Got Next”, but somehow another program jumps out of nowhere to steal our thunder. Often it’s a dynasty like Wichita or on-and-off dominance like UNI, but sometimes takes the form of Drake 2008 or last year’s Trees. Even in our best years there has always been someone up there just above us to knock us down just enough to keep us from dancing.

That said, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen so much flux in the Valley. But as long as Wardle is still down the road, we still have a rival to unseat if we plan to get anywhere.
+100...we will be next until we change our strategy that has not worked for many decades....the landscape is vastly different than the 80s and 90s yet our approach and offerings are the SAME. peeps seem to put it all on the many coaches that have come and gone yet do not question isu's athletic department's approach. are we putting our coaches in an advantageous place to succeed given our profile, competition and expenditures?...i believe we could do significantly better. even in the gutted fcs ,where we are now a giant in many ways, we don't make the playoffs routinely where 20 to 25% of teams annually qualify. that fact is mind boggling to me. really hoping Tarhule and the next AD make some changes in our strategy, athletic offerings and esp coaches/staff expenses so that we put our current and future coaches in a more advantageous position. other universities want "meaningful" success more than ISU and i hope we get back to bowman like leadership again as we were heading the right way and then the brakes were applied and we regressed.

LETS GO!!

Bird Friend

But DeVries will make some serious cash there to make the falling out easier to navigate. Then he, too, can then find a better fit when this doesn’t work out.

DougSutton

But DeVries will make some serious cash there to make the falling out easier to navigate. Then he, too, can then find a better fit when this doesn’t work out.
No doubt. I feel the same could be said for Porter at Oklahoma. I hope Porter and DeVries have success but just feel they aren't at an ideal school for them.

Top Bottom