@ #23/24 Indiana State (13-1) - Tuesday, 2/13/2024 - 6 pm - ESPN+

Bdub777

Let’s get real about the “Johnny should have played a whole lot more all season” thinking. First, hindsight is 20/20. Second , the player we saw last night is not the same kid who started the season. I think Pedon is in the best position to gauge his progress, and let’s not forget there have been times when he totally looked like a frosh. Don’t get me wrong, the kid is a stud and there have been times I wanted to see more of him too. Of course, these boards wouldn’t exist but for those who love to share their “I told you so” brilliance….

MadBird

Let’s get real about the “Johnny should have played a whole lot more all season” thinking. First, hindsight is 20/20. Second , the player we saw last night is not the same kid who started the season. I think Pedon is in the best position to gauge his progress, and let’s not forget there have been times when he totally looked like a frosh. Don’t get me wrong, the kid is a stud and there have been times I wanted to see more of him too. Of course, these boards wouldn’t exist but for those who love to share their “I told you so” brilliance….
Thank you sir, took the words out of my mouth and saved me from sending that message!!

Happy for the Birds, Coach Pedon, Johnny K, AD, everyone who's been working hard and practicing and fighting thru all the tough times.

In some other thread I said I was hoping for at least a little "hope" down the stretch. Thank you Redbirds!

TBus_Birds

We're moving up in the world. Not even a blip on the national radar last year but this year? We are somebody's "bad loss" – PROGRESS

Kidding aside, as others have said, way to hang tough when the Trees started connecting from deep and the crowd got into it. For a team that's struggled so badly from 3 all year, JK and Luke swinging the game back in our favor for good with their back-to-back 3s was awesome to see.

Baltimore Bird

The 75/76 Redbirds won at Wake Forest who were ranked 14th at the time. To my knowledge, that was the 1st really big road win in D1 program history. They followed that up with a win vs ranked UNLV in 77 and ranked Indiana State in 78. However, both of those games were at home.

Dmills

Question: does anyone know if the music for the ISU fight song is taken from something more well known? Or even if any other schools use it? Trying to find the tune for the fight song on iTunes.

Aggie

The unbalanced schedule really hurts us this year: we have to play Valpo twice, but only get to play the Trees once. Valley needs to go to a full 22-game slate…
Agree totally and do not have the tournament until the last weekend of college basketball regular season. That is two more games the valley can play.

Fan

I think we beat ISU blue year after Bird retired in Horton. It was 1979 and they were ranked ????
If I remember correctly ISU Blue was ranked both seasons. We beat them in 78 at Horton and lost by one in 79 at Terre Haute when Jumping Joe Galvin's last second buzzer shot rolled off the rim. I believe ISU Blue went undefeated all season until Magic Johnson's team defeated them in the championship game in the NCAA tournament.

Baltimore Bird

From D. Mills....Question: does anyone know if the music for the ISU fight song is taken from something more well known? Or even if any other schools use it? Trying to find the tune for the fight song on iTunes.

I have absolutely heard the tune at church over the years. I can't recall what song it was at this time. I did say to my wife, that it was the ISU Fight song. I would guess it is of German (very likely) and Martin Luther (maybe) heritage.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Question: does anyone know if the music for the ISU fight song is taken from something more well known? Or even if any other schools use it? Trying to find the tune for the fight song on iTunes.
I don't think it was another tune. The alma mater is a German hymn I believe at one time.

You can download the fight song: Fight Song | Traditions | Illinois State

Birdswin

If I remember correctly ISU Blue was ranked both seasons. We beat them in 78 at Horton and lost by one in 79 at Terre Haute when Jumping Joe Galvin's last second buzzer shot rolled off the rim. I believe ISU Blue went undefeated all season until Magic Johnson's team defeated them in the championship game in the NCAA tournament.
Jan 21, 1978 - Birds beat #4 Larry Bird and InSU at Horton 81-76
Dec 4, 1978 - Birds lost first game of the year in OT in Terre Haute to Larry Bird 78-76 - InSU did not become ranked until week 4 of the season.
Dec 10, 1979 - Birds beat InSU in Horton 66-58.

TBS_20

Well he is averaging 24.4 minutes a game in MVC play so I doubt it. But sure, throw cold water a day after a big win.
dont be so serious. laugh at it like birgs did. its just what usually happenes around here. birds, bulls, etc.

StLRedbird

Can’t remember exactly where in the sequence of events, but Kinziger got switched onto Avila, took a step back, and buried a three. Next possession it was Kasubke. Hope made its first green sprout for me.
Who woulda thunk this group would gift us a memory like this? Improbability drive engaged

Baltimore Bird

I doubt if INSU was ranked on Dec. 10, 1979. Bird was gone and they were very average. We weren't that good either.

Redbird28

I think we beat ISU blue year after Bird retired in Horton. It was 1979 and they were ranked ????
From goredbirds - The Redbirds win their 13th game over an AP Top-25 team in the program's history and improve to 2-0 against Indiana State when the Sycamores are nationally ranked – ISU won 81-76 on January 21, 1978 when the Sycamores were ranked fourth in the country.

Dmills

More from goredbirds regarding Kinziger:
The point total is tied for the second-most by a Redbird freshman in program history
  • Tied with Fred Marberry against Millikin on December 28, 1953, and behind only Tony Cadle's 41 points against Illinois Wesleyan on February 20, 1957

Dmills

Anything interesting from Coach Pedon's interview on WJBC this afternoon? I totally missed it.

Top Bottom