Yak

ISU FAN 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/shaka-smart-lost-his-way-by-abandoning-what-made-him-successful-094336729.html

So, Smart not using HAVOC and YAK defense not working either?

cubird

Kicked Barnes out thinking they are more than a football school.

stats

Shaka had a great run at VCU. He recruited his style of players that created their offense from their full court defense. Then when he got to Texas, he recruited the best players he could get such as 7' NBA lottery pick Mohamed Bamba. He had to scratch that havoc system because his players did not fit his system. West Virginia was the best pressing team in the country from 2016-2018 because they had 2 time defensive player of the year Jevon Carter. Now West Virginia does not have that style of players so they don't play havoc anymore either.

To be successful you need to either a) recruit players to fit your system or b) coach a system that fits the style of the players that are on your team.

CaliRdBrd

My take is that kids at mid majors probably know the NBA is a long shot and are more willing to play the team game (i.e. defense). At the P6 schools, good luck convincing a one-and-done kid to play a team game (i.e. HAVOC).

stats

CaliRdBrd said:
My take is that kids at mid majors probably know the NBA is a long shot and are more willing to play the team game (i.e. defense). At the P6 schools, good luck convincing a one-and-done kid to play a team game (i.e. HAVOC).

I agree. Bobby Huggins and West Virginia was the exception from 2016-2018. As it turns out, the defense first style is why Jevon Carter was noticed and possibly the main reason he was drafted in the NBA. Again Carter was an exception to the NBA guys that are drafted.

Top Bottom