YAK went after the Michigan job, peeps...

Hamdonger

RedbirdRecon noted this article a while back in his twitter feed.

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/basketball/luke-yaklich-michigan-basketball-defense-identity

Dan helped, yes. If he didn't, it would be akin to a kid wanting to transfer but the coach/university restricting schools where he could sign. (which I realize happens all the time but it never smells good)

Little more insight into the whole deal.

cpacmel

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/muller-s-help-lands-yaklich-haynes-assistant-jobs-at-michigan/article_acc372ad-1328-5f09-8ee2-162c52986ca0.html

Hamdonger

cpacmel said:
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/muller-s-help-lands-yaklich-haynes-assistant-jobs-at-michigan/article_acc372ad-1328-5f09-8ee2-162c52986ca0.html

I understand. Totally.

Yak was going after it regardless. Knowing that...KNOWING THAT as a coach, wouldn't you make the call knowing your coach was applying??

Right thing to do, 100 times out of 100. I applaud Dan for doing it. COMPLETELY.

cpacmel

Humdinger said:
Yak was going after it regardless. Knowing that...KNOWING THAT as a coach, wouldn't you make the call knowing your coach was applying??

I think it's safe to say that Muller's call triggered the interest. I'm gonna leave it at that.
Right thing to do, 100 times out of 100. I applaud Dan for doing it. COMPLETELY.

Devils advocate :evil: time- while you applauding this others view this weakening ISU. And weakened ISU pretty big time. The timing of it was terrible (August) and the fact that Oliver had already left didn't help matters either.

More Devil's advocate :evil: - Muller's job is to move the program forward. Losing 3 assistants to The Big Ten might be regarded as moving the program forward to some.

Others would view it as weakening the current coaching staff, which in turn weakens player development, recruiting, and most important Wins, etc

SgtHulka

cpacmel said:
Humdinger said:

I think it's safe to say that Muller's call triggered the interest. I'm gonna leave it at that.

Devils advocate :evil: time- while you applauding this others view this weakening ISU. And weakened ISU pretty big time. The timing of it was terrible (August) and the fact that Oliver had already left didn't help matters either.

More Devil's advocate :evil: - Muller's job is to move the program forward. Losing 3 assistants to The Big Ten might be regarded as moving the program forward to some.

Others would view it as weakening the current coaching staff, which in turn weakens player development, recruiting, and most important Wins, etc
:text-+1:

Tpguy

Humdinger said:
cpacmel said:

I understand. Totally.

Humingbird, I think you need to re-read the article and pay more attention to Cpacmel who knows more about the Redbirds than you'll ever know in your lifetime :roll: :roll:

Birdswin

Good for Yaklich in making such a difference for Michigan - to me this is only good for ISU.

Good for Muller to contact Michigan. To me this will only help attract good talent for assistants to ISU - because it shows, if you do a good job, then Muller will help you advance your career. What other coach in the Valley has does this???

It is a whole different story at the Power Conference level - those Head Coaches have to have enough confidence to allow an assistant move on to become a Head Coach - that is not an easy thing to do either.

Bird Friend

My take: some on this board like that Muller made the call, some don't. And never the twain shall meet.

Metamoron

Has it hurt our team THIS YEAR? Yes absolutely.

Is it the right thing to do, absolutely. If you want good people to work for you, you need to support and developers those that currently work for you.

Just think of all the positives that could come from it. New assistants, possible next head coach, recruiting references, games to be scheduled, transfers, etc.

Negatives are- coaching issues this year, recruits
That yak was talking to going to UM.

Also think how Yak would have felt if Dan said no, I’m not letting you go.

I worked for Cat for almost 35 years in 2 different states and 3 different countries. If you want to receive good people you have to give up good people. Yes timing can suck in the short term, but long term your capabilities are based on the capabilities of your employees. Give me a way to keep getting the best people. Allowing your best to move on to better opportunities is one way.

BTbird

We lost 3 coaches to B10 schools. I think you have to give credit to DM for bringing in coaches that bigger programs covet. Perhaps we should have a little more confidence in the new coaching staff. Maybe the coaches we have now will be recruited by bigger schools as well.

Bird Friend

BTbird said:
We lost 3 coaches to B10 schools. I think you have to give credit to DM for bringing in coaches that bigger programs covet. Perhaps we should have a little more confidence in the new coaching staff. Maybe the coaches we have now will be recruited by bigger schools as well.

Agree. Having two new coaches, one new to the college ranks, along with a coach just in his second year with Dan . . . there's going to be some acclimation needed by all.

BTbird

We also had Dana Ford and Torrey Ward. DM has a pretty good track record for assistants.