WR Edgar out Indef. & Grimes done for season

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Man, what a blow.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/redbirds-lose-top-two-receivers-to-injuries/article_433d6191-2036-5131-91ba-0cd94670011f.html#tracking-source=home-breaking

Spack is confident, but I'm not as confident.

cubird

Well at least they have 2 weeks to get other guys reps. However, just when the offense was looking better....better have a TE with hands pick up the slack.

Total Red

Staff member
The offense has been hit hard with WR getting hit the hardest.

Top 2 WR's Edgar and Grimes plus Rogers are all out. Megginson is out at guard with a bad back and it could be a long-term thing. 2 FB's - McCoyn and Pennington were on the sidelines against NAU. Not sure when they will be back.

Cole Anderson has stepped in on the O-Line and the pass protection has been really good. Carl has stepped in at FB. He's won't block like McCoyn (who does?) but he could be a better receiving target.***

WR is a challenge. Haley, Blackman and Nagel should all play at WR and Rutkiewicz gets the slot. Backups would include Bailey WR and Lombardi slot. Rutkiewicz was a luxury, a bonus and a bit of a novelty act as a 5'8 true freshman. "Oh look our freshman had a 100-yd receiving day, imagine that." That's over. Major receiving yardage from the slot receiver is now expected and required for victory.

My observation in the spring and August scrimmages was that everybody made a nice catch and everybody dropped a catchable ball. Edgar and Grimes were our best but I don't think there is a giant chasm between them and everyone else. Next man up. We also need other positions to fill the void.
TE may no longer be optional. I saw Gillum line up as a wideout and he was covered by a NAU corner that was about 5'10 180. That would give Gillum a 7 inch and 80lb size advantage. I'd say he's open already. He doesn't even need to get separation. The ball was not thrown his way. We could throw to the RB's more. Proctor could be deadly in space. *** Carl is a TE by trade so he should be a good target out of the backfield as well. Some doors have closed. Others have opened.

fourthandshort

yeesh, tough break to lose #1 and #2 receivers ... some WRs need to step up. Got 2 weeks to get them ready.

That said, our WR group has improved considerably in terms of it's depth. This is the first time we've gone at least 4 deep in a while .. and most of them are FR and SO .. unfortunately our 2 best are out for NDSU.

Time for WRs to step up.

Adunk33

Staff member
https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1176557207967739906

When it rains, it pours

MadBird

I was hoping Wisconsin guy Halusan, redshirt Fr, would be some help this year. Have seen him on special teams, maybe he'll find his way. JR DB Jarrell Jackson was a sharp WR in HS and I think also was listed there earlier in his ISU career. Altho, those guys have had the chance to help and haven't been in the mix.

Any other DB's that could make the switch?

Hamdonger

fourthandshort said:
Time for WRs to step up.

Time for Brady Davis to step up and lead these other receivers into substantial contributors. Meaning he's gotta coach these receivers as much as any coach we have on the sidelines. You up for it Brady?? We're on a teeter totter right now with no indication of which way we'll lean. Stars in the making?? Or is the moment too big??

Good times, good times. Good luck 'Birds!!

TIMMY

fourthandshort said:
yeesh, tough break to lose #1 and #2 receivers ... some WRs need to step up. Got 2 weeks to get them ready.

That said, our WR group has improved considerably in terms of it's depth. This is the first time we've gone at least 4 deep in a while .. and most of them are FR and SO .. unfortunately our 2 best are out for NDSU.

Time for WRs to step up.
The WR group was having a hard time getting open AND being where they were supposed to be and Edgar fixed that to an extent against NAU. This group really needs to really step it up NOW!

MadBird

I don't mean this to be quite as negative as it sounds, but you know, we do have a rookie WR coach, one who didn't play WR in college, and was never really a WR coach in his college career according to his bio (a year as a grad assistant at Missouri looks like his only shot at it). Could be a disadvantage at this point. Hopefully he can rally the troops!

Hamdonger

MadBird said:
I don't mean this to be quite as negative as it sounds, but you know, we do have a rookie WR coach, one who didn't play WR in college, and was never really a WR coach in his college career according to his bio (a year as a grad assistant at Missouri looks like his only shot at it). Could be a disadvantage at this point. Hopefully he can rally the troops!

Oh man. Telling information.

JHBird

Total Red said:
My observation in the spring and August scrimmages was that everybody made a nice catch and everybody dropped a catchable ball. Edgar and Grimes were our best but I don't think there is a giant chasm between them and everyone else. Next man up. We also need other positions to fill the void.

I think Edgar is a stud. He hadn't played much at all until last weekend, and then Boom, our passing attack kicked into high gear. I would've love to had him on the field at NIU.
Oh well, those two guys will be fun to watch the next few years. Looks like a great future WR tandem.

Total Red

Staff member
JHBird said:
Total Red said:
Edgar and Grimes were our best but I don't think there is a giant chasm between them and everyone else.

I think Edgar is a stud. He hadn't played much at all until last weekend, and then Boom, our passing attack kicked into high gear.

Edgar played a lot in the Eastern game as well.

Reggie Redbird

I predict we see a lot more formations with JR and Proctor on the field. Perhaps Proctor, Kevin Brown (if healthy) or one of these other RBs in the slot.

Virginia Redbird

Bad news for all Redbird fans. Hope for a quick and full recovery for all the players. Players behind them need to step up and play hard. Bad luck but you are going to lose players to injury in football. Next man needs to step up!

Sanantoniobird

I guess Grimes will get this year back as a redshirt? He played only 4 games. I’m not really sure in his status, did he already redshirt?

DaveBird10

Sanantoniobird said:
I guess Grimes will get this year back as a redshirt? He played only 4 games. I’m not really sure in his status, did he already redshirt?
Grimes is a true Sophomore so I'd imagine if he wants yes he'll redshirt and get the year back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reggie Redbird

fourthandshort said:
Anyone hear anything on Edgar coming back ???

If he’s not back in the next two weeks, is it worth looking at a redshirt year? Obviously the player has to be willing, but is Edgar coming off a long layoff for a few games worth it versus the potential for a full additional season?

Coming this Saturday will be 5 weeks.

Top Bottom