WOULD YOU RATHER...

GOP_Redbird

...have had a Redbird Basketball season make the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament ONCE over the past 5 years. OR, beat NDSU in the NCAA football FCS Championship

crazzymark

Beat the Bison....easy one...oh football makes the NCAA playoffs.

Baltimore Bird

Win the championship in football for me. I am a basketball 1st fan, but winning it all is still my choice.

We had this discussion at the games yesterday...

Would you rather have had ISU's season or Evansville? I am leaning towards EU.

ricohill

Name the last team to win the FCS championship other NDSU? No one really cares about it. It gets you no exposure. Winning the FCS Championship is literally the equivalent of winning the CBI (it’s an accurate comparison because it’s below the NIT because you take out all the Power 5 teams).

I’d rather go to the NCAA basketball tournament than any type of FCS success.

Redbird222

Easy ... win the Championship!! Practically a once in a lifetime experience (this comes from a basketball diehard).

BTW ... I disagree with that folks dont talk about FCS championship. Since NDSU has dominated the FCS the past decade folks know and DO talk about it. I was in LA just after this years Championship game and there were about 6 -10 folks at our national meeting talking about it. Either they were great BSers or they just happened to watch/read about it. They even knew that ISU had given the Bison their best game this year and were also talking about James Madison (answer to you question last previous champion) on the wrong end of some interference calls.

Expand your collegiate horizons ... there is lots of great experiences out there. Sometimes you will be disappointed and sometimes you will see something very memorable. I had the fortune to watch the baseball team beat Louisville at Louisville in the regionals last year. Awesome experience and I will never forget the folks we met or the game itself. "Irrelevent" sports can be rewarding even if they dont generate big $$.

Despite the birds season ... this MVC tournament will be memorable (to me and many others) watching the 8 and 7 seeds winning their quarterfinal games. Happened once in the history of the tournament that a Thursday night team won on Friday and we were able to witness it twice in an evening. Drake dominated the #1 seed most of the game and Valpo rallied when they were dead (with their best player still apparently effective by mono). Obviously I wish it had been the birds but I can still appreciate what I saw. Maybe we can experience a first today and watch a Thursday night team win on Saturday (hopefully Drake).

jamminjamarsmiley

Cmon guys. What are the tv ratings for the FCS title game compared to the opening weekend of March madness? This is no contest. No one even knows the fcs title game is being played.

ricohill

What does it even matter? Football isn’t winning a national championship and basketball isn’t going to the NCAA tournament. That’s the sad thing. We are dreaming about things that no longer are realistic. Sure we stalled against NDSU this year, but had no real chance of beating them. Men’s basketball is 2-3 years away from competing to be in the top half of a bad conference.

Unless there are drastic changes within the athletic department all we will be talking about it the glory days of ISU baseball and Volleyball.

Hamdonger

Redbird222 said:
Easy ... win the Championship!! Practically a once in a lifetime experience (this comes from a basketball diehard).

BTW ... I disagree with that folks dont talk about FCS championship. Since NDSU has dominated the FCS the past decade folks know and DO talk about it. I was in LA just after this years Championship game and there were about 6 -10 folks at our national meeting talking about it. Either they were great BSers or they just happened to watch/read about it. They even knew that ISU had given the Bison their best game this year and were also talking about James Madison (answer to you question last previous champion) on the wrong end of some interference calls.

Expand your collegiate horizons ... there is lots of great experiences out there. Sometimes you will be disappointed and sometimes you will see something very memorable. I had the fortune to watch the baseball team beat Louisville at Louisville in the regionals last year. Awesome experience and I will never forget the folks we met or the game itself. "Irrelevent" sports can be rewarding even if they dont generate big $$.

Despite the birds season ... this MVC tournament will be memorable (to me and many others) watching the 8 and 7 seeds winning their quarterfinal games. Happened once in the history of the tournament that a Thursday night team won on Friday and we were able to witness it twice in an evening. Drake dominated the #1 seed most of the game and Valpo rallied when they were dead (with their best player still apparently effective by mono). Obviously I wish it had been the birds but I can still appreciate what I saw. Maybe we can experience a first today and watch a Thursday night team win on Saturday (hopefully Drake).

222...listen, man. Talk of "expand your collegiate horizons...there are lots of great experiences out there"... how DARE you utter such nonsense here. The only thing that matters is the death of Muller and our athletic program and we won't settle for anything less than his blood!!

Hell of a post, TripleDos.

B

BirdGrad2011

I’d rather have a FCS championship than be a 15 seed like Bradley last year. If we are a legit threat to win a game or 2 in the NCAA tournament then I’d take that.

Total Red

Staff member
ricohill said:
Name the last team to win the FCS championship other NDSU? No one really cares about it. It gets you no exposure. Winning the FCS Championship is literally the equivalent of winning the CBI

Again wrong. The CBI is a best of 3 championship games. Last year the attendance of those 3 games COMBINED was 5,995. The FCS Championship football single game drew 17,866. The CBI championship is televised on ESPNU. The FCS Championship was nationally televised on ABC.

And the answer to your question was James Madison. I didn't have to look it up.

Redbird222

jamminjamarsmiley said:
Cmon guys. What are the tv ratings for the FCS title game compared to the opening weekend of March madness? This is no contest. No one even knows the fcs title game is being played.

Obviously the ratings are higher for NCAA tournament but unless your do something memorable, most others won't care. Upsetting a top seed would be awesome and memorable . Winning the FCS championship vs just getting into the tournament and exiting with 31 other teams ... FCS championship is a more remarkable moment.

BTW ... can I be greedy and have both!!

CB2K

Redbird222 said:

Nice post -- good insight and perspective.

ricohill

Total Red said:
ricohill said:
Name the last team to win the FCS championship other NDSU? No one really cares about it. It gets you no exposure. Winning the FCS Championship is literally the equivalent of winning the CBI

Again wrong. The CBI is a best of 3 championship games. Last year the attendance of those 3 games COMBINED was 5,995. The FCS Championship football single game drew 17,866. The CBI championship is televised on ESPNU. The FCS Championship was nationally televised on ABC.

And the answer to your question was James Madison. I didn't have to look it up.

Ok, fine more fans went, but the level of competition is basically CBI basketball in comparison. Probably closer to the NIT (except Texas isn’t playing in the FCS championship game) so not really. Literally every NCAA basketball tournament game will have more fans than the FCS championship game. To compare the FCS championship to an NCAA tournament basketball game is nuts. There is no comparison. The FCS championship game gets a time slot against morning cartoons.

Also, the average attendance for any other FCS playoff game was around 7,000.

MadBird

ricohill said:
Name the last team to win the FCS championship other NDSU? No one really cares about it. It gets you no exposure. Winning the FCS Championship is literally the equivalent of winning the CBI (it’s an accurate comparison because it’s below the NIT because you take out all the Power 5 teams).

Name the last team to win the Liberty Bowl, or Sun Bowl, or ?????

Name the last 4 team in the NCAA last year, or the year before.

You guys who have a hard on for "exposure" are full of crap.

ricohill

MadBird said:
ricohill said:

I guarantee a trip to those bowl games is more profitable and gets more exposure.

Also, if attendance of a championship game is what determines importance, before Elgin tanked MVC basketball the MVC basketball championship game drew more than 17,000 fans and got way more exposure on tv.

I would argue a trip to the FCS championship game is less important than a trip to MVC championship game.

jamminjamarsmiley

You all realize FCS attendance is solely due to NDSU fans. I was in Frisco for the ISU title game. We filled maybe 3-4 sections? Couldn’t of had more than 3-4K there.

DaveBird10

MadBird said:
ricohill said:

+1

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ricohill

And if you think FCS football is a big deal why is Muller paid 3 times more than Spack?

It’s one thing that ISU fans on here and Twitter don’t get it, but what scares me is that our President and AD don’t get it. Plus, the fact our athletic administration listens to Redbird Twitter and people on here is troubling.

ricohill

And for all those what about Volleyball and baseball people. Guess what the NCAA tournament share is for every sport other than Men’s basketball??? Zero. So important it’s worth zero dollars.