Would you rather have Spack back or hire and offensive minded coach? (Not what you think will happen)

Would you rather have Spack back or hire and offensive minded coach? (Not what you think will happe

• Spack

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Offensive minded coach

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fourthandshort

Shouldn't there be a 3rd option for "anyone except Spack", regardless of how offensive minded ?

DaveBird10

I was hoping for a 3rd option. I get everyone wants an offensive minded coach but more importantly then anything imo is Peterson staying at ISU as offensive coordinator. ISU is averaging 34.1ppg which is 17th in the country, Annexstad is 35th in the country in passing yards, top 15 in touchdowns, Sobkowitcz is 1st in MVFC and in receptions and yards, Blakemore is 31st in the country in rushing yards, 2nd in MVFC in rushing yards while he missed a game and a half. I get we want an offensive minded coach but the offense is there, what we need is Peterson to stick around and build upon this season. Spack and Niekamp will get the defense turned around but thats going to take time and bumps as redshirt freshman and sophomores get experience and off-season in the weight room. But the offense is there, just need continuity to build upon what they have this year.

TBS_20

I was hoping for a 3rd option. I get everyone wants an offensive minded coach but more importantly then anything imo is Peterson staying at ISU as offensive coordinator. ISU is averaging 34.1ppg which is 17th in the country, Annexstad is 35th in the country in passing yards, top 15 in touchdowns, Sobkowitcz is 1st in MVFC and in receptions and yards, Blakemore is 31st in the country in rushing yards, 2nd in MVFC in rushing yards while he missed a game and a half. I get we want an offensive minded coach but the offense is there, what we need is Peterson to stick around and build upon this season. Spack and Niekamp will get the defense turned around but thats going to take time and bumps as redshirt freshman and sophomores get experience and off-season in the weight room. But the offense is there, just need continuity to build upon what they have this year.
So...the offensive mided coach then. Just not a new one. It would not be Spack at least.

fourthandshort

Bears have been trying to replace Lovie Smith for 10 years and failed with 3 hires so far. No coach has had same level of success. The next guy was an offensive minded coach ... which sucked as HC. The defense went from top 5 to bottom 5 in one season. The offense was loaded with talent .. some head cases, but very talented. They went 8-8 and dropped further year 2.

I dont mean to say we or they should never try to raise the bar. But it's much easier said than done. So you better have a pretty good idea how you're going to find that better replacement

It is so unfortunate our new offense took til 2nd year to come together. If we had 2023 offense with 2022 defense, it could have been a quarter or semi final level team IMO.

Virginia Redbird

I never had an issue with moving on from Lovie. He was a middle of the pack coach for the most part. A good season now and then but mostly just mediocre. In nine seasons as Bears coach he had 4 seasons of 10 wins or more. His last two seasons the Bears ended up third in the North Division. It was getting stagnant. I have no problem with the Bears trying to get over the hump. Lots of people point to Lovie's last season as being 10-6 but they fail to mention he started that season 7-1. The absolute collapse of that team is what go him fired. The situation with Lovie and the Bears reminds me so much of Spack and the Redbirds. Solid defensive coach but not great on offense. A few good seasons but mediocre in between. Long term tenure but getting stale. If some of you fans remember the Bears had a chance to hire Bruce Arians and hired Marc Trestman instead. The Bears folly was not in letting Lovie go, it was in terrible hires since then. The Redbirds are in the same boat from my perspective. Spack has been good for the program but can he get it back where he had it? If you make a change there is always the risk of going backwards. They could make a change and be worse, or they could be better. Nothing imminent is going to happen anyway with an acting AD and a year or two still on Spack's contract. Bottom line for me is I don't think the Bears made the wrong decision letting Lovie go, they made bad decisions in hiring head coaches since then. I think the current head coach is continuing that tradition.

TBS_20

I never had an issue with moving on from Lovie. He was a middle of the pack coach for the most part. A good season now and then but mostly just mediocre. In nine seasons as Bears coach he had 4 seasons of 10 wins or more. His last two seasons the Bears ended up third in the North Division. It was getting stagnant. I have no problem with the Bears trying to get over the hump. Lots of people point to Lovie's last season as being 10-6 but they fail to mention he started that season 7-1. The absolute collapse of that team is what go him fired. The situation with Lovie and the Bears reminds me so much of Spack and the Redbirds. Solid defensive coach but not great on offense. A few good seasons but mediocre in between. Long term tenure but getting stale. If some of you fans remember the Bears had a chance to hire Bruce Arians and hired Marc Trestman instead. The Bears folly was not in letting Lovie go, it was in terrible hires since then. The Redbirds are in the same boat from my perspective. Spack has been good for the program but can he get it back where he had it? If you make a change there is always the risk of going backwards. They could make a change and be worse, or they could be better. Nothing imminent is going to happen anyway with an acting AD and a year or two still on Spack's contract. Bottom line for me is I don't think the Bears made the wrong decision letting Lovie go, they made bad decisions in hiring head coaches since then. I think the current head coach is continuing that tradition.
Very good post. I'd rather swing and miss 3 times then watch the ball go by me without trying.

Reggie Redbird

As an outsider looking into the Bears, it seems that their biggest problem is their ownership/leadership. Do Bears fans ultimately have confidence that the decisions the McCaskeys make or the team makes are the right ones or will pan out?

That’s not to say that every coaching hire has been bad. However, are those coaches put in the best position to succeed? Owners these days running teams as their primary or sole major asset can have trouble if they rely on the team to generate their wealth.

In terms of next year, we have to see who takes over the reins at QB and how we can bolster the line. Multiple transfers didn’t pan out, which amplifies injuries.

It isn’t just personnel challenges but game management. Can anyone say our overall coaching against EIU and YSU was good? EIU was particularly bad all around with decisions and clock management. We get to the 4th quarter, and we have to start asking if we will call the game in a way that’s going to let our opponent back in.

The question with Spack and any other coach: is this person the best fit for the situation and resources we have? With the current state of the university and athletic program, that’s probably a question asked if we don’t make the playoffs fall 2024.

Last edited:

Redbird15

As an outsider looking into the Bears, it seems that their biggest problem is their ownership/leadership. Do Bears fans ultimately have confidence that the decisions the McCaskeys make or the team makes are the right ones or will pan out?

That’s not to say that every coaching hire has been bad. However, are those coaches put in the best position to succeed? Owners these days running teams as their primary or sole major asset can have trouble if they rely on the team to generate their wealth.

In terms of next year, we have to see who takes over the reins at QB and how we can bolster the line. Multiple transfers didn’t pan out, which amplifies injuries.

It isn’t just personnel challenges but game management. Can anyone say our overall coaching against EIU and YSU was good? EIU was particularly bad all around with decisions and clock management. We get to the 4th quarter, and we have to start asking if we will call the game in a way that’s going to let our opponent back in.

The question with Spack and any other coach: is this person the best fit for the situation and resources we have? With the current state of the university and athletic program, that’s probably a question asked if we don’t make the playoffs fall 2024.
Clock management /timeouts not being called in crucial moments of games to make sure we get a decent chance to obtain a 1st down. It's mind boggling to ISU run the ball in qts on 1st down get 3/4 yards gives us 2nd 6/7. Then all of a sudden start throwing on 1st down in crucial moments in the game to give ISU 2nd 10's against same defensive alignments. Thats bipolar offensive play calling via the OC or Spack making those decisions be consistent. But we read on returning Kickoff they don't want bad field position/fumbles or injury. Then today we see a 250lb TE fair catching on 25/27 yard line. We need those type returns get the ball in better field position at 35 or more. Got to take those chances to be a play off caliber team. What happen when we kick to UNI returner when they caught the ball on their 7 yard line ? If ISU is going to be conservative and cautious quit blitzing safeties in crucial passing plays on 3rd/15 allowing teams to cross middle get 20 yard gains. Yes he feels a 7-4 team in MVFC should get in playoff so when you have that mindset .. thats call just .500 football a good season of should could would be happy !

CaliRdBrd

Clock management /timeouts not being called in crucial moments of games to make sure we get a decent chance to obtain a 1st down. It's mind boggling to ISU run the ball in qts on 1st down get 3/4 yards gives us 2nd 6/7. Then all of a sudden start throwing on 1st down in crucial moments in the game to give ISU 2nd 10's against same defensive alignments. Thats bipolar offensive play calling via the OC or Spack making those decisions be consistent. But we read on returning Kickoff they don't want bad field position/fumbles or injury. Then today we see a 250lb TE fair catching on 25/27 yard line. We need those type returns get the ball in better field position at 35 or more. Got to take those chances to be a play off caliber team. What happen when we kick to UNI returner when they caught the ball on their 7 yard line ? If ISU is going to be conservative and cautious quit blitzing safeties in crucial passing plays on 3rd/15 allowing teams to cross middle get 20 yard gains. Yes he feels a 7-4 team in MVFC should get in playoff so when you have that mindset .. thats call just .500 football a good season of should could would be happy !
It’s time…

Top Bottom