Wichita

ISU FAN 1

Shox allow Greg Marshall era record 56 first half points to Temple at WSU. Bonus: Mark Adams orgasmic over WSU comeback on ESPN2.

Redbirds4Life

cubird said:
Tulsa in 4th place in the American at 8-5.

Being that ISU swept them this year, I can't imagine Tulsa is that much better than when they came to Normal. I wonder how Wichita State fans are feeling about the move, with the American only having 4 good teams (2 great with Wichita State/Cincinnati and 2 good with Temple/Houston). There are a lot of "junk" teams in that league. I always thought that Wichita State would have been much better to go to the Big 12, if they could have, or the Mountain West. Who knows if that was possible, but the AAC feels like a pretty "meh" move.

I think something might seriously be wrong with that team. Not that they can't figure it out, but man, that team that was cooking on all 4 burners last year after the loss in Normal, shouldn't be having trouble in that league. For them to have 3 losses and not have had played Cincinnati yet, is stunning to me.

ISU FAN 1

Redbirds4Life said:
cubird said:

Being that ISU swept them this year, I can't imagine Tulsa is that much better than when they came to Normal. I wonder how Wichita State fans are feeling about the move, with the American only having 4 good teams (2 great with Wichita State/Cincinnati and 2 good with Temple/Houston). There are a lot of "junk" teams in that league. I always thought that Wichita State would have been much better to go to the Big 12, if they could have, or the Mountain West. Who knows if that was possible, but the AAC feels like a pretty "meh" move.

I think something might seriously be wrong with that team. Not that they can't figure it out, but man, that team that was cooking on all 4 burners last year after the loss in Normal, shouldn't be having trouble in that league. For them to have 3 losses and not have had played Cincinnati yet, is stunning to me.

I’m guessing WSU viewed the MVC as 9 junk teams. The AAC has the 4 teams you mention on the bubble or better. In watching games last night, my conviction that Loyola can only reach the Dance via autobid became stronger. There are other bubble teams playing meaningful “playin” games now, by virtue of their conference strength, while Loyola is essentially wasting their time until a Sunday game in March, with nothing good that can happen until then. With Loyola projected as a 12 seed, that indicates how little they are respected, and that’s basically assuming they win out. They are on the edge of the bubble now, with zero chance for any at large resume building wins moving forward. Not to mention the early MVC conference tourney dilemma. They’ll be in the barn, and on the bubble, while P5s continue to state their case the following weekend.

bb fan

Was thinking the same thing about Tulsa when I was watching some of the WSU game last night, and how they were making such a big deal them being 4th. The AAC, at least from the quality of the basketball may not be all that much better than the MVC. And here they were talking about Tulsa being an NCAA team that would probably be middle of the MVC.

And let's see how the AAC does after the P5's raid their best 3 or 4 market teams...

Adunk33

Staff member
Redbirds4Life said:
cubird said:
I wonder how Wichita State fans are feeling about the move, with the American only having 4 good teams (2 great with Wichita State/Cincinnati and 2 good with Temple/Houston).

I think they are feeling just fine. They have 3 conference losses and will still be an at-large team regardless. 3 losses in the MVC=NIT/CBI Bound

ISU FAN 1

Adunk33 said:
Redbirds4Life said:
cubird said:
I wonder how Wichita State fans are feeling about the move, with the American only having 4 good teams (2 great with Wichita State/Cincinnati and 2 good with Temple/Houston).

I think they are feeling just fine. They have 3 conference losses and will still be an at-large team regardless. 3 losses in the MVC=NIT/CBI Bound
They are 20-5. That’s still pretty damn good. They listed SMU as a bad loss for them. It really wasn’t bad until all SMUs studs got hurt. Lunardi had SMU in the field around that timeframe. Now it looks bad.

Bird Friend

ISU FAN 1 said:
Adunk33 said:
Redbirds4Life said:

They are 20-5. That’s still pretty damn good. They listed SMU as a bad loss for them. It really wasn’t bad until all SMUs studs got hurt. Lunardi had SMU in the field around that timeframe. Now it looks bad.
That's one drawback for wins against some programs. Loyola beat UF, but UF isn't thought of nearly as highly as when Loyola beat them. What looked like a marquee win may end up being a nice win . . . which don't count for much with the selection committee (unless you're from a P5).

bombay

wichita fans are hilariously delusional. They think they're part of a power 6 conference.

Adunk33

Staff member
bombay said:
wichita fans are hilariously delusional. They think they're part of a power 6 conference.

I think any conference that can get over 2 at-large teams could be considered "Power 6." The American is kind of down, but still has 2 top 25 teams, and at least Houston getting in too. As someone said, SMU was playing okay (despite losing to UNI) before their injuries and could have been considered as well. To be in a conference that you don't have to win or play in the tournament championship game to make it to the NCAA could be considered "Power."