Why is ISU still a basketball school?

Birdman

Cool down. We weren’t even supposed to be in the championship game this year. What was our preseason ranking in the valley again?

Redbird Ray

The MVC is basically the Horizon with a better attended conference tournament. I do not want to hear about how we cannot explore other conferences because of what said move will do to basketball. This has not been a basketball school for 20 years now.

ChiRedbirdfan

ISU is officially now playing in a conference tourney in front of a curtain that hides thousands of empty seats. For those that refuse to accept the reality of the MVC the curtain is a tangible fact that the MVC has fallen.

PubIIDreaming

Redbird Ray said:
The MVC is basically the Horizon with a better attended conference tournament. I do not want to hear about how we cannot explore other conferences because of what said move will do to basketball. This has not been a basketball school for 20 years now.

8Mz86.gif

jwa123

Redbird Ray said:

Please see my post on pg 19 on thread of today’s game for agreement but I take it even further than 20 yrs 😩.

CaliRdBrd

bombay said:
Any proposals on how to upgrade ISU's situation?

Continue to wait until all the decent teams are gone. When the conference gets down to 3-4 teams we’ll have an actual shot at the auto bid.

Next step toward success...pray that Loyola leaves for the AAC.

cpacmel

ChiRedbirdfan said:
ISU is officially now playing in a conference tourney in front of a curtain that hides thousands of empty seats. For those that refuse to accept the reality of the MVC the curtain is a tangible fact that the MVC has fallen.

Yeap and it’s because of guys like you.

Same goes with attendance at Redbird.

You guys gripe about attendance woes all the time.

Get your butt in a seat before you complain about it again.

It’s like hearing how bad a mayor, governor, President is from someone who Fails to vote.

Hamdonger

cpacmel said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:

I like your fire, man(!), but he goes to games. Away ones, too. He sprung for two tix for me this year at football homecoming. He's got skin in the game. Maybe not for long though.

bombay

cpacmel said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:

It’s like hearing how bad a mayor, governor, President is from someone who Fails to vote.

Mel is so great. Pay attention, you guys.

Brick

Real simple , we don’t have the $$$ to go big time football. The investment in upgrades to our football facility preclude that. Hell we cannot even get an all weather practice facility. Not to mention scholarships, game guarantees etc. and it’s not like we are Evansville or something. We win at basketball. We have a terrific young coach. I am confident that we will get back to the big dance. I am as frustrated as anyone but I see good things coming for this team. Merely my humble opinion

TheTruth

.....because you can't be a 20k+ non-directional university that plays 1-AA football, and call yourself a football school.

ChiRedbirdfan

cpacmel said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:

Get your facts right you *ss. Who are you to call out someone when you do even know what you are talking about? I, and my non-ISU alum wife, attended the MVC tourney and even donated an additional $2K this weekend towards ISU athletics, which was beyond what I have already donated this year. We offered that up when i ran into some athletic department staff at one of the ISU pregame events which btw I also attended.

I have been looking at ISU athletic donations and many seem to think that attending is good enough and a big deal...well it is not. If you are only attending the games and not making donations you aren't even coming close to paying your fair share of the costs it takes to produce a team. Unfortunately for ISU the students subsidize the dominant portion of athletics as the ISU season ticket holders and alums are overall poor financial supporters of ISU athletics. Ticket sales nor donations combined are a significant amount when looking at ISU athletic department revenue so keep that in mind when feeling high and mighty about merely attending a game.

cpacmel

ChiRedbirdfan said:
cpacmel said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:

Get your facts right you *ss. Who are you to call out someone when you do even know what you are talking about? I, and my non-ISU alum wife, attended the MVC tourney and even donated an additional $2K this weekend towards ISU athletics, which was beyond what I have already donated this year. We offered that up when i ran into some athletic department staff at one of the ISU pregame events which btw I also attended.

I have been looking at ISU athletic donations and many seem to think that attending is good enough and a big deal...well it is not. If you are only attending the games and not making donations you aren't even coming close to paying your fair share of the costs it takes to produce a team. Unfortunately for ISU the students subsidize the dominant portion of athletics as the ISU season ticket holders and alums are overall poor financial supporters of ISU athletics. Ticket sales nor donations combined are a significant amount when looking at ISU athletic department revenue so keep that in mind when feeling high and mighty about merely attending a game.

Help me out here. Weren't you the same guy that said last year the only game you would attend was the Wichita state game because they were only worthy team on ISU's home schedule? Instead deciding on hitting up NW games.

Didn't you also say you only attended one game at ISU this past season? And I did I ask (in jest) if you would be heading down to The Tourney here:
http://www.redbirdfan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=591&hilit=V+boy&start=40

If I am confused please set the record straight and I will gladly apologize. There are after all several posters with a screen name similar to yours. But the stuff you posted above was what I was going off.

And I donate and attend games.

Listen I'm just tired of people complaining about things and not doing anything about it. People are not happy with Larry and or Matt Lyons and the lack of fundraising etc but nobody acts on anything. Same with attendance. Everyone wants us to be great and then they will come to games. That's not what happened at Wichita or Creighton. I remember going to St. Louis when Gregg was a play in team and the shockers stands were packed. There weren't excuses aboard being the farthest school away from St. Louis.

I apologize for going off on you regardless. I was an ass for assuming anything.

Thank you for supporting the boys down in St. Louis and coming all the way from Chicago. I'm sure like me, you had a great time up til 1:30ish on Sunday. I also thank you once again for taking care of a fellow Redbird and poster here during football season.

Birdswin

I can tell you, I hear the same thing from a lot of my old roommates and friends who are alums - and from alums who I happen to know from my work (which takes me all over the state) - they all say similar things as ChiRedbirdfan.

I am frustrated as well - I think it is clearly a lack of dynamic leadership in the Athletic Administration. The folks we have are very nice and hard working people - however, they are not leaders for growth and do not understand how to grow attendance and support. Sort of like Hein as a player - gives you everything he has, works hard, hustles, but lacks overall athleticism. - is a role player/contributor, but is not a primary/star player.

Topoly28

Jesus people. This team lost 4 starters and made it to the title game without a single senior. It sucks to watch them lose for the 6th time, but this year the team over achieved.

SgtHulka

Topoly28 said:
Jesus people. This team lost 4 starters and made it to the title game without a single senior. It sucks to watch them lose for the 6th time, but this year the team over achieved.

:text-+1:

Top Bottom