Who Let the Dogs In? (aka Homecoming)

Total Red

Staff member
I've consistenly underestimated our defense and I'm ok with that. I'm afraid to pick a low score for opponents because that will be the week the wheels fall off. Eruptions can occur out of nowhere in the Valley. South Dakota St. had a "what-the-#" defensive game on Saturday against Indiana St. INSU ripped them for 51 pts (48 in regulation). Where did that come from? N. Iowa shut out the Sycs. Can anyone guarantee that won't happen to us? In their first 4 games the Salukis average 39.5 points per game with 41 coming at FBS Ole Miss. Throw out their most recent game at YSU. Starting QB Sam Straub did not play at Youngstown but he is expected back for our game - figures. Straub tore into us for 4 TD passes and a 28-0 lead last year before coasting to a 42-7 blowout win. I have no idea if we can stop him this year or not. We better be prepared to crush it offensively just in case. It could be 54-51 or it could be 17-14. I'm not sure about much of anything. Our passing game is inconsistent and our defense has been solid and steady but I consider good defense something we rent one week at a time. I don't think we own it.

I guess I believe in Robinson, that's about it. Eleven turkey necks couldn't bring him down and I don't think eleven dogs yapping at his heels will either. We should be able to run the ball and hopefully there won't be a large discrepany in the passing numbers. We'll need to protect Davis. At his presser today Coach Spack let it be known that one of the backs that was supposed to stay in to block was missing his assignments. Was that part of the "discussion" with teammates on the sideline?

Ok enough rambling. Time for the non-confident, clueless prediction.

Redbirds 35
Whitedogs 24

Birdswin

What worries me a little bit - at 1-4 SIU has nothing to lose. That is when a team, who has some talent, can become dangerous and will gain confidence as the game goes along IF they are winning. If memory serves me correctly, Spack usually plays teams like SIU from a defensive standpoint - to keep the ball in front, do not get beat deep. Thus, we play 10 yds off the receivers and they complete short passes moving right down the field - until they get to the Red Zone. Then it is 50-50 chance we stop them. At least for the first quarter or half.

I certainly hope the Defensive scheme is similar to what we have seen in the other games - frustrate SIU and get the lead early, have the lead at half - then stretch it out in the second half. This may be a game when the first one to 42 wins - so to speak.

Cannot let good field position chances go to waste and let's go for it on 4th down in plus territory.

fourthandshort

To put defense in perspective, we've played the 40th ranked SOS per Massey .. so call it "average" SOS. Out total defense ranks 16th in FCS (289 ypg), our pass defense QBR ranks 6th (89%), and our run defense ranks about 15th depending on whether you're looking at ypg or ypc.

Knowing what we lost from last year, I am pleasantly surprised they became this stout, this early. We have yet to play the strongest offenses, but this is a very promising start for our defense.

ThisIsTheLineup

The bad news - It'll be cold in the morning (30s-40's until Noon)
The good news - That's football weather!
The better news - No rain in the forecast

Adunk33

Staff member
ThisIsTheLineup said:
The bad news - It'll be cold in the morning (30s-40's until Noon)
The good news - That's football weather!
The better news - No rain in the forecast

We've been pretty unlucky with forecasts leading up to the games this year. I don't remember if STX game had forecasted rain but weather kept people away for the EIU game (turned out to be a nice day for football), the WIU game had heavy rain (again, turned out to be a nice day for football), and then now, we skipped fall and are looking at a high of 50 for Saturday, but it should be sunny.

I look forward to a dry Saturday.

Adunk33

Staff member
Total Red said:
Adunk33 said:
I look forward to a dry Saturday.

No tailgating for you?

This week? Yeah I'll be out there! Hopefully to reclaim our spot under the water tower. A place we have been for 3 years, that we've been having trouble getting to this year since it was taken before the lots opened for the St X game.

Adunk33

Staff member
Two receivers depart: Redbird receivers Kentre Patterson and Anthony Hadden have quit the team. An All-American hurdler, Patterson will concentrate on track.

According to Spack, true freshman Eric Rogers may be called into action to supplement ISU’s depth at receiver.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/redbirds-schnell-plans-to-heed-spack-s-advice/article_e487cf0a-289c-5fdc-8c75-2775fb9741f5.html

As if we didn't have enough problems at WR. Sorry if this was posted already.

Phantom

While this won't be the iconic Homecoming matchup we had with SIU in 2006 (the stupid mini footballs incident notwithstanding), when we were ranked #2 and they were #5...and an SRO crowd of 17,00+ attended and we whipped their ass, it's still a big game. Agreed with the above post, don't let any records fool you. We need to come out ready to go and not be lulled into lethargy for half the game, which has now happened twice in a row.

SIU can score. We need to pound the ball. Just win.

Redbirds 31
Salukis 24

ThisIsTheLineup

Phantom said:
While this won't be the iconic Homecoming matchup we had with SIU in 2006 (the stupid mini footballs incident notwithstanding), when we were ranked #2 and they were #5...and an SRO crowd of 17,00+ attended and we whipped their ass, it's still a big game. Agreed with the above post, don't let any records fool you. We need to come out ready to go and not be lulled into lethargy for half the game, which has now happened twice in a row.

SIU can score. We need to pound the ball. Just win.

Redbirds 31
Salukis 24

I'd much rather have a game like 2006 HC than a game like 2012 HC.

Chi-bird

I’m not really sure what to expect with this one. The MVFC can be really unpredictable. I do think Southern will throw the ball often and will have a success with it, well, but I think both of our running backs have nice games....especially Markel. I’d say take the over on this one:
Redbirds - 34
SIU - 23

Total Red

Staff member
Birdswin said:
What worries me a little bit - at 1-4 SIU has nothing to lose. That is when a team, who has some talent, can become dangerous and will gain confidence as the game goes along IF they are winning.

Agreed, we can't let SIU want this game more than we do. We're playing for the playoffs but the Dogs may be playing for the survival of their program. SIU has had back-to-back 4-7 seasons under native son and former SIU QB Nick Hill. With the games they have ahead a 1-5 record would send a third straight season down the tubes. At that point confidence fades and recruiting becomes more difficult. It would be hard to convince anyone that Little Egypt can rise back up to being a FCS power without a tear down and start back up.

It doesn't seem all that long ago that the Dogs were wuffing. Coach Kill was winning in football and Weber and Painter made SIU a well respected mid-major basketball power. Then Kill headed north and SIU basketball made a last stand under Lowrey before crumbling and heading south. Now enrollment is down and the two SIU system campuses are squabbling with each other. Should we shed a tear for the lost glory that was SIU? Nah, they played their best game against us last year and they will again if given half a chance. Crush it.

fourthandshort

Wow things have slipped fast for SIU after promising start. Blew out Murray St, then went toe to toe with Ole Miss for 3 qtrs before letting game slip away in Q4.

Then QB Straub missed last week's game due to concussion symptoms .. not sure which game it happened, but he had 5 picks in prior 2 games against SEMO and USD. If he plays, he's getting pass yards at 290 per game, but his QBR is not good at 120% .. mainly because he has 9 to 8 in TD to pick ratio .. so 2 picks per game. His backup is Desomer (#7) .. at 6'0" 215 lbs, he likes to run much mroe than throw ... stark contrast from 6'4" 247 lb Straub (#4) who like the sit in pocket. So we have to have 2 game plans ready on defense. Their OL seems very stout .. very few sacks or TFL yards lost. I think this plays well for our containment but stifling style defense. They have good receivers, but that won't matter as much if Desomer (#7) plays. Even if Straub plays, he is not playing like a year ago .. though never take guy like him lightly.

https://thesouthern.com/sports/college/salukimania/straub-out-with-concussion-like-symptoms-desomer-to-start-for/article_4dd1f8bd-47f1-5ef3-812b-cedf005f4f9f.html

Defensively for SIU, I expect our offense to bounce back some from WIU game. SIU is not a pushover on defense, though we should be able move chains and score points leadin gwith our run game .. especially at playing home with big homecoming crowd getting players fired up.

Redbirds win 31 - 17 .... I feel like this game could snowball for us if we get our pass game going again.

Adunk33

Staff member
Total Red said:
Adunk33 said:
This week? Yeah I'll be out there! Hopefully to reclaim our spot under the water tower.

The water tower? That's Madbird's spot. Don't even think about it. :lol:

:lol: Don't get me started. Most on this board know me and my group have been in that spot at least the last 3 years. Week 1 there was a big smoker in the spot who parking let into the lot before the lots opened. Week 2 the threat of rain led to a housegate. And last week we were there but the down pour around 1130 or noon chased us off until game time. :lol:

MadBird

Total Red said:
Adunk33 said:
This week? Yeah I'll be out there! Hopefully to reclaim our spot under the water tower.

The water tower? That's Madbird's spot. Don't even think about it. :lol:

MadBird's flexible, room for all under the water tower!! :cool:

Adunk33, if that's you in the Bears "bus" with the tower speakers, I'd recommend you locate as close as possible to the Ropp Building/lot and point the speakers that way! Easier to hear Steely Dan and Tower of Power at our spot then!! :D

Adunk33

Staff member
Hahaha. We aren't the bears bus :lol: They're good friends of our tailgate though!

Top Bottom