What's HCDM's beef with Jay Bilas about? Missed something

Red75

ISU_DirtyBird said:
Anyone have any background on HCDM's tweet this evening?

https://twitter.com/DanMuller/status/905937206325518339

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/09/07/illinois-state-coach-dan-muller-takes-a-shot-at-jay-bilas/amp/

ChiRedbirdfan

Bilas is absolutely right......from a player's perspective.
Muller is absolutely right...from a coach/institution's perspective.

Regardless, this is good press for Illinois State University and ISU hoops especially if one subscribes to the concept that the only bad press is no press. However this is GREAT press for Dan Muller. It is going to be hard for some struggling major basketball university that has fired their coach to not like Muller and his style both on and off the court. Muller works social media very well and I think that is going to help expose his on the court success.

Again too bad ISU did not invest in ISU hoops by locking up Muller by increasing his pay meaningfully. IMO a missed opportunity to move ISU athletics forward.

dpdoughbird06

ChiRedbirdfan said:

Regardless, this is good press for Illinois State University and ISU hoops especially if one subscribes to the concept that the only bad press is no press. However this is GREAT press for Dan Muller. It is going to be hard for some struggling major basketball university that has fired their coach to not like Muller and his style both on and off the court.

Again too bad ISU did not invest in ISU hoops by locking up Muller by increasing his pay meaningfully. IMO a missed opportunity to move ISU athletics forward.

I agree with all of the above.

No reason for players to have to sit when they transfer, BUT result of this will be unrestricted free agency for all. Fair to players, sure, but what's the point of even trying to build a team/system/program if they abolish the "sit" year? Just recruit athletes, roll the ball out there and see what happens.

As for Muller, the new deal is window dressing. Solid bitmoji/Twitter game builds his brand along with ISU's. Smart move going this route - now all of college basketball knows his face...or at least the bitmoji version of it.

HT59

:text-+1:
ChiRedbirdfan said:

Regardless, this is good press for Illinois State University and ISU hoops especially if one subscribes to the concept that the only bad press is no press. However this is GREAT press for Dan Muller. It is going to be hard for some struggling major basketball university that has fired their coach to not like Muller and his style both on and off the court. Muller works social media very well and I think that is going to help expose his on the court success.

cpacmel

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/09/07/illinois-state-coach-dan-muller-takes-a-shot-at-jay-bilas/

Jsnhbe1Birds

Muller doesn't care about bilas even though he has a P5 bias. Muller is smart. He's just trying to make headlines to get isu on the map. Helps with recruits.

Brick

If transfers could leave at will it would be a nightmare for the mids. P5 would raid our best players at will. Would be the end of college basketball. Even the NBA doesn't have players doing that. Good for DM for speaking up!!!

Birdman85

It isn't any better for the P5 either. Judging by the feed back this has gotten from many P5 coaches I don't see it happening. Coaches want as much control as possible.

ILSTUGRAD11

If they don't want players to transfer why don't they get rid of the student athlete crap and turn it into a semi-professional business in which the players are allowed access to free education AND can sign a 2 year or 4 year contract in which they are bound to the school and can make some money? If they don't want to take advantage of the free education, so be it. Probably because the schools want their cake and want to eat it too....

ILSTUGRAD11

If they don't want players to transfer why don't they get rid of the student athlete crap and turn it into a semi-professional business in which the players are allowed access to free education AND can sign a 2 year or 4 year contract in which they are bound to the school and can make some money? If they don't want to take advantage of the free education, so be it. Probably because the schools want their cake and want to eat it too....

ChiRedbirdfan

Birdman85 said:
It isn't any better for the P5 either. Judging by the feed back this has gotten from many P5 coaches I don't see it happening. Coaches want as much control as possible.
:text-+1: Agree many P5s would not like this. There is almost always a higher P5 basketball power (Duke,UNC, UCLA, Kansas) that could in theory also take lesser P5 basketball power (Kansas State, Iowa State, Boston College, Mississippi, Miami...etc) young talented players too.

DoubleDeuce

Rick Neuheisel and Kermit Davis (Middle Tennessee State's coach) were discussing this on an XM radio show yesterday. Both were opposed to the new proposal. I don't know the details of the proposal but they were talking about other details above and beyond the requirement to sit out a year that could would make recruiting from other teams open warfare among coaches. One was that coaches wouldn't have to give permission if another coach wanted to get into contact with his player and that the transfer could happen at semester's end...so a player could transfer mid-season in basketball or prior to the college football playoffs (or title game in fcs).

ISU_DirtyBird

ILSTUGRAD11 said:

I was thinking about this same idea. I'd add some flexibility in those 'contracts' though giving the student flexibility if they fail to uphold their commitment having to reimburse the school of those scholarship funds if they choose to transfer for whatever reason. I'm still hesitant on the paid collegiate athlete. Their payment can be the form of free education/room & board which is a valuable thing to receive considering the rising costs of universities these days.

MadBird

ISU_DirtyBird said:
ILSTUGRAD11 said:

I was thinking about this same idea. I'd add some flexibility in those 'contracts' though giving the student flexibility if they fail to uphold their commitment having to reimburse the school of those scholarship funds if they choose to transfer for whatever reason. I'm still hesitant on the paid collegiate athlete. Their payment can be the form of free education/room & board which is a valuable thing to receive considering the rising costs of universities these days.

No, no, no. Colleges and universities aren't about running minor leagues for the pros. Things are bad enough as they are. They already have minor league hoops and baseball, and they should for football too, and universities should get back to the business of educating young people and running athletic programs that stand alone as a balanced part of the overall educational "experience". Enough of the "pro" BS.

DoubleDeuce

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/9/8/16272048/future-of-college-basketball-transfer-rule-dayton-ohio