What Happen?

Bo-Peep

TIMMY said:
Maybe you should post something. :think:

I was hoping someone else would take the lead this year! I'm on vacation all year. ;)

Redbird82

Been kinda meh this year, not really good enough to get real excited but good enough to not really complain. So not much posts.

MadBird

Redbird82 said:
Been kinda meh this year, not really good enough to get real excited but good enough to not really complain. So not much posts.

I always said in the past, I know nothing about the women's team other than what I read on this board, so never commented much. I know a little more since Coach G came aboard, have paid more attention, and have even watched them a few times. But don't know what to add for discussion sake.

I've been looking at their record, and it is sort of on par with last year - but they faded down the stretch last year somewhat. So nothing to point to to say "geez, they're on their way to great improvement" this year. They seem to have overcome some injuries, worked in some younger ladies and Wallen, and should, maybe, hopefully, get that record up down the stretch, get over .500 for the year. 10-7 with 12 games left. They finished 14-16 last year. If they split the rest of the way, they're 16-13 going into the tournament. I'd say that was improvement, but 18-11 would be much nicer.

Gotta think the arrow is pointing up tho.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Worried a home heavy start to the MVC will do them in at the end.

I'm sure no one really knows because they don't pay attention to the women's team, but interesting coach benched the best (or 2nd best depending on you who you ask) player for pretty much the entire 2nd half due to effort. Happens on the men's side and every one loses their minds.

I like the freshman that are getting pretty good playing time. They are finally pretty healthy (minus one season ending injury) which will help. I wished they had played better against Mo St last week though.

Redbird82

Don’t think home court is as big on the women’s side. Just like the guys they need to beat Bradley this week.

Reggie Redbird

I think a lot of the passionate WBB fans talk more about this team on Twitter.

I think the program is trending up. Last year, we secured one of the best recruiting classes the Valley has seen in years. We need to build on that going forward. I think we still have at least 2 more singings to make, and I think that is probably trending towards JUCO players or grad transfers based on timing. It would be tough to find another Simone Goods, but that's probably what we're looking for.

I think everyone knew this rebuild was going to take a while, so seeing this team above .500 for the season and at .500 in conference is a good representation of progress. The non-con schedule was pretty weak, but I think that it helped a lot of new players get accustomed to D-1 basketball. We were 29-93 the prior 4 years and getting thumped by the teams we are beating now. Our next step is getting back to the top of the Valley. After that, it's competing on a more national level.

I think KG will take us to the NCAA tournament. It may not happen next year or the year after, but I feel it's coming. I think we have a lot of players who have developed; I think we have improved our talent level. That needs to continue, and I feel it will.

As I look at the schedule, I feel we have a few games we could have won if we were at full strength. The reason I say that is once we get those players back and into game shape, I think that will show in winning more MVC games.

JHBird

I've been going to most of the games. Last weekend was a tough one for our bigs. SIU and MSU had some really good low post defenders. They seemed to get Simon off her game. When she got benched against MSU I thought maybe she was sick or something. But hats off to the coach. She has guts, but you never know how a player will react. Some need a wake up call, others might go into a real funk after getting benched like that. So I hope Simon bounces back. She's nearly unstoppable when she gets the ball down low.

Does anybody know what happened to the recruit who had the nose bleed problem? I thought her last name was Brooks? I don't see her on the roster anymore, so I'm wondering what happened?

As for the team, I think losing Mary Crompton really hurt them. She could really shoot from the outside, and was starting (as a freshman) before she got hurt. At least she didn't lose a year of eligibility. I expect big things from her next year.

Reggie Redbird

JHBird said:
I've been going to most of the games. Last weekend was a tough one for our bigs. SIU and MSU had some really good low post defenders. They seemed to get Simon off her game. When she got benched against MSU I thought maybe she was sick or something. But hats off to the coach. She has guts, but you never know how a player will react. Some need a wake up call, others might go into a real funk after getting benched like that. So I hope Simon bounces back. She's nearly unstoppable when she gets the ball down low.

Does anybody know what happened to the recruit who had the nose bleed problem? I thought her last name was Brooks? I don't see her on the roster anymore, so I'm wondering what happened?

As for the team, I think losing Mary Crompton really hurt them. She could really shoot from the outside, and was starting (as a freshman) before she got hurt. At least she didn't lose a year of eligibility. I expect big things from her next year.

Brooks left the team. No idea if she left the university at the semester. I can't see her playing anywhere until that problem gets fixed. If she couldn't play and wanted to stay at ISU, they could have gotten her a medical hardship scholarship to pay her 4-5 years here.

Adding 2-3 more players in this year's recruiting class would be huge. If not, we're likely to be in the same short bench situation.

BIGfan

I could not go to womens games for a couple years (Barb Smith) But, now I enjoy going. Once we lose a couple seniors from the Smith era... this team will be a consistent Valley contender.

chuckie1980

I used to be a bigger fan during Pingeton...I loved the players that she brought in. I only wanted to watch the women play during this time because they played with heart....and the men did not.

The way StephanieGlance rode the coattails into RedbirdArena….I love her floor charm...but it took me half of her stay to start questioning her true ability or commitment to the program.

Barb Smith....wow. Talk about practically putting the nail into the coffin of a once great program that was on a rise.

I like Gillespie....but I wonder how long she will stick around.

TV/puter viewing of games. I hate ESPN...so games on ESPN+ is a no-go for me. ESPN3 is a cheap backup.

I do love the quarters being back in the game.

Top Bottom