@ Western Carolina Fri-Sun Feb 25-27

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
They swept 4 games from Niagara this past weekend, scoring at least 15 runs in all 4 games. Could be competition, could be they can hit the cover off the ball.

Dmills

Nice win today (5-2) to give WCU their first home loss of the season. Looks like it was a pretty solid game all around. Outhit them 10-6. Huggins and McCaw with homers. Lussier came back after the scary situation last week and delivered 5 innings while allowing 1 run. Bullpen was solid and the defense had 0 errors. Unfortunately, RS Freshman C Tyler Woltman is still struggling. He left a team-high 5 on base and his BA is down to .071 on the season. Still plenty of time to figure out the catching situation for this year, but we suffered some huge losses of Hayden Jones and Tank Hayes and I think it might be our biggest weakness.

Can clinch the series with a win tomorrow. Pitching match up will be Sean Sinisko (4.5 ERA in 4 innings) vs Eric Wallington (1.8 ERA in 5 innings).

Side note: saw today that Arkansas was still ranked #2 after the loss to ISU. I figured the voters would overreact to a home loss to ISU this early in the season, but the voters must not view it as that bad of loss.

Redbird222

Nice win today (5-2) to give WCU their first home loss of the season. Looks like it was a pretty solid game all around. Outhit them 10-6. Huggins and McCaw with homers. Lussier came back after the scary situation last week and delivered 5 innings while allowing 1 run. Bullpen was solid and the defense had 0 errors. Unfortunately, RS Freshman C Tyler Woltman is still struggling. He left a team-high 5 on base and his BA is down to .071 on the season. Still plenty of time to figure out the catching situation for this year, but we suffered some huge losses of Hayden Jones and Tank Hayes and I think it might be our biggest weakness.

Can clinch the series with a win tomorrow. Pitching match up will be Sean Sinisko (4.5 ERA in 4 innings) vs Eric Wallington (1.8 ERA in 5 innings).

Side note: saw today that Arkansas was still ranked #2 after the loss to ISU. I figured the voters would overreact to a home loss to ISU this early in the season, but the voters must not view it as that bad of loss.
The birds are off to a solid stat this year.

BTW- Arkansas beat Indiana 5 - 2 today. The Birds have a home/home series against the Hoosiers later this year.

cpacmel

Won game two 14-8. Lots of runs late ISU was up only 3-1 going into the top of the 7th. 6 in the 7th, 2 in the 8th, and 3 in the 9th.
Going for the 3 game sweep on Sunday at Noon.

Dmills

Obviously metrics like this aren't extremely reliable at the beginning of the season in determining how good a team is, but it is cool to see ISU #3 in RPI. Arkansas is #4 and future MVC members Murray St. and UIC are #6 and #7.

Dmills

I am really excited about this team. Nice win today to finish the sweep. I believe Western Carolina is a decent team (picked 3rd in the SoCon).

Saturday: Kind of a wild game towards the end. Won it 14-8. Sinisko with 6 IP and 1 ER. Home runs for Gile and McCaw. Cermak came in for his first career appearance as a pitcher and got the last out on a strikeout after walking 2.

Sunday: Won 9-5. Cermak and McCaw with homers. 5.2 IP with 4 ER for Salata.

Credit to Woltman, he ended up with a very good series after I called the catcher spot out as an area of weakness. Between Saturday and Sunday, he went 3 for 8 with 1 walk, 0 strikeouts, and 4 RBI. I would be surprised if Jake McCaw is not player of the week. He went 5-11 with 3 HR, 8 RBI, 8 runs while carrying the offense. Our starting pitching staff has been great so far as well.

0-4 Arkansas State next up. They play Tuesday and Wednesday before our series Friday-Sunday, so they could struggle with pitching depth depending on how the games go.

Dmills

I am really excited about this team. Nice win today to finish the sweep. I believe Western Carolina is a decent team (picked 3rd in the SoCon).

Saturday: Kind of a wild game towards the end. Won it 14-8. Sinisko with 6 IP and 1 ER. Home runs for Gile and McCaw. Cermak came in for his first career appearance as a pitcher and got the last out on a strikeout after walking 2.

Sunday: Won 9-5. Cermak and McCaw with homers. 5.2 IP with 4 ER for Salata.

Credit to Woltman, he ended up with a very good series after I called the catcher spot out as an area of weakness. Between Saturday and Sunday, he went 3 for 8 with 1 walk, 0 strikeouts, and 4 RBI. I would be surprised if Jake McCaw is not player of the week. He went 5-11 with 3 HR, 8 RBI, 8 runs while carrying the offense. Our starting pitching staff has been great so far as well.

0-4 Arkansas State next up. They play Tuesday and Wednesday before our series Friday-Sunday, so they could struggle with pitching depth depending on how the games go.
As predicted, Jake McCaw won player of the week. Second week in a row with a player winning a player or pitcher of the week award. Love to see it

Top Bottom