Administrator
Staff member
No Robinson.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1204087213182472193

In fact, he was TENTH in voting.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1204087821394497536

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1204090123765374976

JHBird

He just put up a combined 500+ yards rushing in back to back playoff games. Has any FCS back ever done that before? And that happened when teams knew we couldn't pass! Does that not count for anything?

fourthandshort

isuquinndog said:
No Robinson.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1204087213182472193

In fact, he was TENTH in voting.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1204087821394497536

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1204090123765374976

nice tweeting Randy .. especilly the last one !!!!!

Though I'm pretty sure playoff games are not supposed to be included for any of these awards.

But I say we leave MVFC and join the Big South .. you play sh-t teams all year, rack up a bunch of stats, and get way too much credit for putting up 250 yards playing LIttle Sisters of the Blind.

Birdswin

I would agree - this is ridiculous on steroids. Who votes on this?? How are the finalists selected??

Adunk33

Staff member
isuquinndog said:
Randy said the deadline for voting was AFTER week 1 of playoffs but before week 2.

Oh! That makes more sense. The voters clearly weren't fans of 297 yards and a touchdown. Spack should've left him in for one more run to get another 3+ yards to eclipse the 300 mark. Those three yards is probably what James needed to get out of 10th.

JHBird

Adunk33 said:
isuquinndog said:
Randy said the deadline for voting was AFTER week 1 of playoffs but before week 2.

Oh! That makes more sense. The voters clearly weren't fans of 297 yards and a touchdown. Spack should've left him in for one more run to get another 3+ yards to eclipse the 300 mark. Those three yards is probably what James needed to get out of 10th.
:text-+1:

Personally, I think that holding call screwed him. I think that would have put him over 300 for sure.

So, anybody want to predict what round Robinson goes in? A hundred yard game against NDSU would be a big helper. I figure he has to show people at the combine that he can catch the ball and then explain why we never threw the ball to him. Seems like that was a missed opportunity here. Also, his 40 time will be huge. I figure he's moving faster than he seems. He has broken many runs over 50 yards in his career so he ain't slow.

I think the more people interview him the more they'll like him.

MadBird

David Johnson, UNI, career stats: 50 games, 4682 yds. rushing, 49 TD's, 141 receptions for 1734 yds. and 14 TD's. Drafted in the 3rd round/86th overall, 7th RB selected.

J Rob: 45 games, 4368 yds. rushing (so far!!) with 44 TD's, 57 receptions for 412 yds. and 2TD's. So definitely not as productive receiving, but just about as productive running.

Seems like he ought to get something before Round 5 or so, assuming he shows well in the combine.

Redbirdwarrior

With a probable 4500 yards in college and a big, bruising frame, I expect that James will be either on an NFL practice squad or an XFL Starting lineup in 2020/21. He is not a gimmick back and can burn, move laterally, catch and straight run people over.

If he can do 150 and 2 TD against NDSU, he'll likely lock a seat at the combine and then it is up to him at that point.

fourthandshort

I think Robinson's biggest concern at next level is speed and quicks. At this level, his combination of very good power and vision/patience, along with pretty good speed and quicks, makes him very hard to bring down at this level. I'm not sure his speed and quicks will be enough at NFL level. Coprich had more speed, but didn't have Robinson's power .. different backs for sure.

We're extremely lucky to get a RB like Robinson after a RB like Coprich ... but not so sure about his NFL prospects. Maybe in the right system because he is so hard to tackle.

JHBird

I think we're going to miss Robinson's power next year. Seems like we have a bunch of quicker more undersized players that need a bit of blocking to get to the next level. James just plowed his way into the open. To me his biggest strength was his deceptive moves, all for big back.

MadBird

JHBird said:
I think we're going to miss Robinson's power next year. Seems like we have a bunch of quicker more undersized players that need a bit of blocking to get to the next level. James just plowed his way into the open. To me his biggest strength was his deceptive moves, all for big back.

Don't we have a QB we could turn into a RB?? ;)

Jefferson is listed at 215 lbs.

Pha'Leak Brown is listed at 200, spose if he put on 10-15 he could provide some power, not that that is his style now. J Rob was listed at 210 as a freshman.

DaveBird10

MadBird said:
JHBird said:

Don't we have a QB we could turn into a RB?? ;)

Jefferson is listed at 215 lbs.

Pha'Leak Brown is listed at 200, spose if he put on 10-15 he could provide some power, not that that is his style now. J Rob was listed at 210 as a freshman.
I know Cole Mueller is listed as a 6ft 190lb freshman that the coaches like. He certainly can fill out that frame. He even was committed to Kansas and had a few other fbs schools sniffing at him before he signed here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ISUBU

In 2016, freshman James Robinson was the third leading rusher on the team. He was good, and got better every year.

We'll have two guys back with significant playing time, plus the true freshmen from this year. Maybe one RB will command the ball most carries, or maybe we'll spread the carries over several players. But I think we're in good shape at that position. Of course, it's unlikely that anyone will play at Robinson's level, but we said the same thing after Coprich graduated. There's room for multiple players of excellence.

fourthandshort

our depth at RB and WR is very young but very deep and talented .. not much help right now, but some of them are bound to pan out eventully. Not sure Proctor can carry a full load, but he's a very good 10-12 carries guy for sure.

:think: :think:

I think I said something like that about WR Schnell .. and was wrong.