Vidette Article

birdballfan

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere?

www.videtteonline.com/sports/illinois-state-s-big-three-hold-hope-for-ncaa-tournament/article_2478e7c4-1ffd-11e8-8b2a-63ad60fd006b.html

If this should not be posted please delete it Quinn.

Birdswin

Interesting article - talking about getting better for next year. But, no mention of playing smarter or improving mental toughness. The physical aspects are one thing, but, the biggest weakness, this year was on the mental side.

Jsnhbe1Birds

I'm not going to bad mouth him but if Hein plays that much next season it means we're in trouble. He should play 7/8 minutes at most

Phantom

Birdswin said:
Interesting article - talking about getting better for next year. But, no mention of playing smarter or improving mental toughness. The physical aspects are one thing, but, the biggest weakness, this year was on the mental side.

Agreed, but that's pretty common for a team with a lot of new guys, plus injuries, etc and being forced to rotate lineups almost nightly. Not trying to make excuses there but it's a factor to consider. That being said, it should hopefully be less of an issue next year.

Retire 12

When one of your best SG's on the roster doesn't have the number of credits he needed to pass his class this summer... you're going to be hurting throughout the year. This was amplified by the number of injuries we had as well.

Our roster will be better with the current players already on campus. Add a depth big and a combo and we'll be just fine.

JHBird

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
I'm not going to bad mouth him but if Hein plays that much next season it means we're in trouble. He should play 7/8 minutes at most

Is that for the year, or per game?
:D

saxman210

Yarbrough's NBA draft considerations

Muller: I am assuming he will [declare for the draft], he has one year left and there really isn’t any reason not to.

He is getting attention and looks from scouts and even if it is just feedback… if he does well enough in certain workouts, maybe he has the opportunity to be a first-round draft pick or wherever… the big thing I have talked to him about is making a smart decision for him and his future… my job is to help him the best he can to navigate that and get information and help him make a smart decision.

Yarbrough's potential if he returns to ISU next season

Muller: If he returns, I think Milik should be on All-American watch lists if you look at his stats and what he has done this year and the improvement I think he will make over course of the summer… I think he will be one of the best players in the country.

I don’t think coach expects Milik to be back next season. Personally, I think that if Milik wants to be drafted, he needs to spend the entire summer working on his ball handling and passing in traffic.

cpacmel

saxman210 said:
I don’t think coach expects Milik to be back next season. Personally, I think that if Milik wants to be drafted, he needs to spend the entire summer working on his ball handling and passing in traffic.

I don’t know about that. It depends on the NBA evaluations. If the NBA guys grade Milik out as a sure fire first round pick, then he’s gone.

But if he grades out to potential 2nd rd pick to free agent, both Muller and Milik are smart enough to know don’t risk it by coming out. And then he’ll be back and have another year to show his worth to everyone! His game is great now, but there is room to grow to elite and both know that.

Bird Friend

cpacmel said:
saxman210 said:

I don’t know about that. It depends on the NBA evaluations. If the NBA guys grade Milik out as a sure fire first round pick, then he’s gone.

But if he grades out to potential 2nd rd pick to free agent, both Muller and Milik are smart enough to know don’t risk it by coming out. And then he’ll be back and have another year to show his worth to everyone! His game is great now, but there is room to grow to elite and both know that.

Saw a tweet yesterday that said latest mock draft had Johnson going 57th, one spot after Milik. MY isn’t going to crack the top 30 this year.

bb fan

I think HCDM is doing the right thing with Milik. He is offering to help him with the NBA, but do it properly so he does not lose the chance to play for us next year. Personally, I can't imagine him being a 1st round draft pick. Anything less is not worth him giving up another year in college to improve his game to make some $$$ after his eligibility runs out.

Manchester Matt

Players do this all the time. It’s great exposure and an opportunity for Milik to hear what he needs to work on.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Feeling out the NBA also means scouts in his ear telling him to graduate this summer and transfer to a P5. Don't forget that part.

bb fan

He has gotta graduate first, I don't know much more than anyone else, but I think if Milik is in college next year, he will be at ISU. For a number of reasons.

SgtHulka

Santa Cason said:
Players do this all the time. It’s great exposure and an opportunity for Milik to hear what he needs to work on.

Ball handling and a deeper more consistent outside shot. Ok Leek you know now, see you at DCC next year

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Feeling out the NBA also means scouts in his ear telling him to graduate this summer and transfer to a P5. Don't forget that part.
I don't think NBA scouts care where a player comes from. If you have talent, they will find you.

Adunk33

Staff member
isuquinndog said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
I don't think NBA scouts care where a player comes from. If you have talent, they will find you.

Yes and no. But 100% Mikyle was told by scouts it would be "beneficial" for him to go against "better" competition. Baker, Van Vleet, Damian Lillard, Kawhi Leonard, Steph Curry, Paul George, Gordon Heyward, Dwayne Wade, etc are doing pretty well for themselves from Non-p5s.

JHBird

Santa Cason said:

I imagine it's a little nerve racking to try out for a pro team. It's good practice to go through it his junior year, so next year he'll probably feel more comfortable. Kinda like doing better in a second interview vs the first one.

ChiRedbirdfan

isuquinndog said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

:text-+1: agree with that comment as the NBA has scouts all over gyms in Eastern Europe, Senegal, Nigeria..etc looking for players so coming to Normal IL and finding one is easy.

However depending upon their specific circumstances and needs there may be potential advantages for players to make a change/transfer

cpacmel

Adunk33 said:
But 100% Mikyle was told by scouts it would be "beneficial" for him to go against "better" competition.

Is there a link to this?

Btw, not here nor there but

ISU’s sos was 55 this year. Oregon’s was 78.

Adunk33

Staff member
cpacmel said:
Adunk33 said:
But 100% Mikyle was told by scouts it would be "beneficial" for him to go against "better" competition.

Is there a link to this?

Btw, not here nor there but

ISU’s sos was 55 this year. Oregon’s was 78.

The Pac-12 was projected to be a lot better and he was supposed to be playing some good competition in the NCAA Tournament. A lot of things didn't materialize out west.

Top Bottom